Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

School district changes iPads for laptops, Teachers call them "toys"

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Ibthink

School district changes iPads for laptops, Teachers call them "toys"

#1 Post by Ibthink » Mon May 23, 2016 3:58 pm

I thought this might be a story you guys might like :D You can´t make up stories like this one.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/lewiston ... de/1927446

"...students and teachers overwhelmingly say iPad computers are used to play games in class, while laptops are better for schoolwork"

"One teacher wrote in the survey that iPads "provide no educational function in the classroom. Students use them as toys. Word processing is near to impossible … I applaud this change.” "

" “The iPads are largely students’ gaming devices,” another teacher wrote. “The iPads are a disaster,” another said."

" “WE NEED LAPTOPS!!!” one student said, three times. “IPads are easier to play games on and get addicted to,” another said."

At least some people recognize the obvious. :lol: You can´t be really productive with toys...
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: School district changes iPads for laptops, Teachers call them "toys"

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Mon May 23, 2016 4:14 pm

Can't beat the keyboard. Laptops are the right tool for small form factor, stationary use, like in a classroom. You don't have to hold it and tire out your arms (tablet), it stands for you, and you get a real keyboard so you can actually type. Sharing the screen with gigantic fake buttons (tablet) wastes so much screen real estate.

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by theterminator93 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:57 pm

I used to work as a field tech in K-12 environments. I've been moved up to a sysadmin but I still work fairly closely with the techs; I get to make more of the strategic decisions now after seeing what works and what doesn't.

Back when the iPads in classrooms fad was first getting big (2011-2012) I had to deploy several hundred for a client. Management was difficult with the features at the time.

Now the trend is Chromebooks and HP Streams.

I would have to agree - iPads get used to play games a lot. The places they are still in use only have a handful of real educational uses for them - and those are usually limited to a couple websites. And even THOSE don't always work because they rely certain plugins. Some of the publishers have developed iOS apps, but it's not the answer to the "one platform for all" that some districts were pursuing. Most of the time now they really do only get used to let kids play "educational games" to fill up free time during classes. There aren't any iPads used by the older kids (7th grade on up) most places; by then they are issued Streams or Chromebooks. "Real" laptops stay in carts that are shared by the buildings.

I almost always recommend laptops over tablets. Some unique situations are more conducive to tablets, but that's why I said "almost" always recommend. :)
T480 with T25 keyboard | T25 | W520 i7-2860QM·Quadro 2000m·IPS FHD | T601F T9900·NVS 140m·LED AFFS UXGA
T420 IPS FHD | X220 IPS FHD | T61p·T61·43·42p|X13 Yoga G3·220T·301·41T·24·23·22|G41|A31p·22m|i1200|TransNote
600|770Z|770|760XD|760EL|701C|755C

hhhd1

#4 Post by hhhd1 » Mon May 23, 2016 5:13 pm

theterminator93 wrote:Some unique situations are more conducive to tablets, but that's why I said "almost" always recommend. :)
You got me curios, as to what are those unique situations :?:

maybe when carried allot, and light weight is a factor ?
===

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by theterminator93 » Mon May 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Well, for small children (K-2), light weight and the presence of a touchscreen are the big pluses for tablets over laptops or similar devices. From what I've seen they (children) seem to adapt better to new programs or applications developed for that platform due to the large buttons and bright colors that they usually come with. This all hinges heavily though on the apps available - and there are a plethora of education oriented apps for iOS which teachers gobble up.

Once you get to the age of the top half of elementary kids, their motor skills and such have developed to the point where they can work with a mouse pointer and keyboard - and once they get going with that, they're much more productive than with a tablet. So what I tend to see are iPads for the small kids, a blend of iPads and light laptop-form-factor devices (again, Chromebooks, HP Streams) for the elementary/intermediate kids, then once you get closer to junior high and high school, it's Chromebooks and laptops exclusively. The cross-platform functionality of the laptop devices is much better with what desktop and instructional technology is in use most of the time as well.

Sometimes the client has a specific application or set of requirements in mind; when I get those I work with them on the pros and cons of each platform (cost is usually the biggest single factor - and iPads are very cost prohibitive compared to HP Streams, which are less than half the cost).
T480 with T25 keyboard | T25 | W520 i7-2860QM·Quadro 2000m·IPS FHD | T601F T9900·NVS 140m·LED AFFS UXGA
T420 IPS FHD | X220 IPS FHD | T61p·T61·43·42p|X13 Yoga G3·220T·301·41T·24·23·22|G41|A31p·22m|i1200|TransNote

brchan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by brchan » Mon May 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Call me old fashion, but somehow I just don't feel that such young children should be using laptops or mobile devices. I feel like doing more writing using pencil + paper and doing interactive activities with others will help stimulate development faster than using an electronic device. Once they reach middle school, introducing mobile devices is probably OK.
Current Thinkpads: W530 (functional classic keyboard mod), X301, T61, T60, T43, A31p, T23, 600X, 770
Other: mk5 Toughbook cf-19, mk1 Toughbook cf-53

coolcat37
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by coolcat37 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:26 pm

I this behavior allowed? Who are we to criticize the great iPads and smartphones... Best to not make them angry, perhaps all they want to be is our friends. Let's not try our luck. Let's most certainly not.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by axur-delmeria » Tue May 24, 2016 8:37 am

^ LOL.

Personally I agree with brchan.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

Saucey

#9 Post by Saucey » Wed May 25, 2016 10:08 pm

I'm sick of my generation (mid 20's, early 30's) complaining that their kid broke their tablet or computer and looking for a cheap fix.
Unlike video games, we were sure to not break the darn thing as it was all we had.

Anywho, I'm not surprised about this fad. Unsurprised there is not reports of kids stealing iPads for quick cash.

Chromebooks are a very lucrative options for schools.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#10 Post by Puppy » Thu May 26, 2016 3:17 am

Saucey wrote:Chromebooks are a very lucrative options for schools.
Anything Google based is the most dangerous option because of privacy and security issues https://www.eff.org/studentprivacy-casestudy

From technical point of view, both Android/ChromeOS and iOS bring us back to the Windows 3.1 era when true multitasking did not exist (only the cooperative simulated). Among crippled mobile OSes, Windows Phone/Mobile supports true multitasking only.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#11 Post by theterminator93 » Thu May 26, 2016 5:38 am

Saucey wrote:Unsurprised there is not reports of kids stealing iPads for quick cash.
It happens. The big issue with iPads is that Apple has the OS locked down so hard, we can't manage them well enough to know what happens to them if one of them walks out the door.

I'm not the biggest fan of Chromebooks because of the limited functionality (married to whatever Google lets you have) and cost, but they do have a place in the GAFE schools with the paperless classroom concept push.

MrMaguire
Sophomore Member

#12 Post by MrMaguire » Thu May 26, 2016 8:55 am

I've worked as an IT tech. in a few schools. I've never worked in a school with iPads, but I'm not at all surprised that they can't be used productively, or even managed properly.

A colleague of mine says that even laptops are more trouble than they're worth in schools, and honestly I agree. We have to constantly replace batteries and keyboards. I've never seen a need for laptops, especially when suites of desktop computers are available.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#13 Post by Puppy » Thu May 26, 2016 9:10 am

So Windows 2-in-1 device is the winner again (when user rights managed properly) :)
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by dr_st » Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 pm

It depends on what the goal is. As replacement for dozens of different books / reading materials, Tablets are fine. For any kind of productive/creative work, they are not. As far as distraction potential, I think that for anyone over the age of 10 it is just an easy to find ways to waste time with a laptop as it is with a tablet, but maybe not so for younger kids.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

coolcat37
Sophomore Member

#15 Post by coolcat37 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Puppy wrote:
Saucey wrote:Chromebooks are a very lucrative options for schools.
Anything Google based is the most dangerous option because of privacy and security issues https://www.eff.org/studentprivacy-casestudy
Privacy ? What is that? Can't seem to find it in the dictionary ?

dasein13

#16 Post by dasein13 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:15 am

I own an iPad Air and it is one of the best gadgets I have ever bought. I mainly use it to read academic and obscure books in PDF form. Also, the convinience of having a library of books on tap is amazing.

Of course, it could never replace a full laptop for productive work. Still, it could be a great companion device if used properly.

By the way, kids always tend to find ways to distract themselves with any device. I have personally witnessed middle school kids wasting away on desktop tower PCs!
Current: T430s with FHD IPS mod - T420 - x220

TTY

#17 Post by TTY » Sat May 28, 2016 4:23 am

Puppy wrote:Among crippled mobile OSes, Windows Phone/Mobile supports true multitasking only.
Sailfish OS on the Jolla phone also supports multitasking:

https://jolla.com/jolla/

The only problems are that
- you can't buy one at the moment, the shop is out of stock
- should these phones become available again, Jolla will only ship to the EU, Norway and Switzerland.

aptivaboy

#18 Post by aptivaboy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:03 pm

Call me old fashion, but somehow I just don't feel that such young children should be using laptops or mobile devices. I feel like doing more writing using pencil + paper and doing interactive activities with others will help stimulate development faster than using an electronic device. Once they reach middle school, introducing mobile devices is probably OK.
I absolutely agree - I'm a history and economics teacher. Ipads and other tablets are garbage in the educational setting. I have a HP X2 tablet with a removable keyboard that would be perfect as an Ipad replacement - cheaper, too - but no one at my school wants to hear about it. They've got Ipad on the Brain, or something.

They should be writing with a pen and paper. Their cursive has become nearly nonexistent and the spelling "abilities" of many kids is a joke. I fear that with too much technology working its way into the classroom, we're raising a generation of tech addled weenies who lack the skills to use a thesaurus (don't laugh, I've seen it far, far too many times already). Want to see something fun and sad all at the same time? Have a kid ask you for his grade. You say something like, "You have a 552 out of 730." Watch the blank stare develop. "What is that?" You reply, "Here's a pencil, do the long division." They'll just walk away. Too much tech equals helplessness, and its a learned helplessness, as if only technology can solve their current dilemma. God forbid we fall back on basic skills.

Bob

MrMaguire
Sophomore Member

#19 Post by MrMaguire » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:18 pm

I'm 22 and a few years after I left school I noticed that my handwriting had degraded dramatically. It was bad enough that I compared it to some handwriting I did at the age of 5, and it wasn't too far off. I've since started to write a lot more, and my handwriting has bounced back to be even better than the quality I could produce in school. Just goes to show what can happen with modern technology being used for almost every aspect of your life. Besides, I like writing by hand. The Parker Jotter clicky ballpoint pen is still my weapon of choice for that.

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”