Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

EU seems to be in danger...

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: EU seems to be in danger...

#241 Post by Puppy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:02 pm

ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#242 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 pm

What ever happened to the time where an unattended suitcase meant someone forgot it and that it wasn't a bomb? This is just sad.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#243 Post by ajkula66 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 pm
What ever happened to the time where an unattended suitcase meant someone forgot it and that it wasn't a bomb? This is just sad.
I've got news for you: such a time never existed. The only difference is that today's snowflake generation doesn't understand how to deal with threats of this nature, and political correctness has tied the hands of everyone with any amount of power.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#244 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Genesis - Land of Confusion.

The world summed up in 4.5 minutes.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#245 Post by BillMorrow » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:15 pm

WOW, i sure missed out on THIS thread..
called to my attention by a fellow in NZ writing about CH..
https://www.jenreviews.com/best-things- ... itzerland/

now have hours of reading besides my usual apocalyptic fiction from amazon kindle unlimited.. :mrgreen:
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

coolcat37
Sophomore Member

#246 Post by coolcat37 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:18 am

Puppy, why did you stop posting links to news articles?

Here's another one from today: https://www.rt.com/news/433800-germany- ... k-injured/

"Up to 14 people have reportedly been injured in a knife attack in the northern German city of Luebeck, local media reports. Local news outlets describe him as a male of Iranian origin and in his 30s."

The balkanization of Europe my friends. Divide et impera.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#247 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:35 pm

@coolcat37:

I am not amused with use of the term "balkanization" when its meaning implies savagery. Reading up on history of the Balkans before Ottoman Empire is something I'd recommend. Strongly.

Cheers,

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#248 Post by Puppy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:16 pm

coolcat37 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:18 am
Puppy, why did you stop posting links to news articles?
Because it won't help anything :( It'll become natural part of everyday life in the EU and probably nothing can stop the infinite stupidity of EU representatives and increasing censorship in public media. We already know the attacker has mental issues, was deeply frustrated by the low social security support in Germany and he is not responsible for anything. Knives longer than 3 cm will become banned in Germany in response of it.
Huawei MateBook 13

coolcat37
Sophomore Member

#249 Post by coolcat37 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:38 pm

ajkula66 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:35 pm
@coolcat37:

I am not amused with use of the term "balkanization" when its meaning implies savagery. Reading up on history of the Balkans before Ottoman Empire is something I'd recommend. Strongly.
Balkanization, or Balkanisation, is a geopolitical term used to describe the process of fragmentation or division of a region or state into smaller regions or states that are often hostile or uncooperative with one another.

No one is talking about savagery here. I am talking about dividing a society enough so that the groups within it don't get along with each other anymore, which is precisely what's happening in Europe.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#250 Post by Puppy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:13 pm

coolcat37 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:38 pm
No one is talking about savagery here. I am talking about dividing a society enough so that the groups within it don't get along with each other anymore, which is precisely what's happening in Europe.
The most dangerous part is that these groups split to various places are allowed to apply its own rules that are incompatible with the laws of the host country. This is the root cause of all issues. If the official laws and rules were applied to all people equally, without any exceptions, relief or mercy, we wouldn't face current situation. If someone is accepted as a refuge, he or she must fully accept local rules (regardless of how much is compatible with his/her private and completely unimportant and irrelevant religion) or leave. There are already no-go zones running its own rules, they don't respect official police representatives, all these sharia laws silently applied, halal method of animal slaughter ... everything is wrong and has no place in host countries culture. If you say that straight and loud you are labelled xenophobic these days because there is big business behind run by all these "supporting" NGOs.
Huawei MateBook 13

Ibthink

#251 Post by Ibthink » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:32 pm

coolcat37 wrote:
Trying to abuse the crimes of a crazy person (because it actually was not a terrorist attack with all the information there is right now!) to justify your crude worldview – disgusting.
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#252 Post by Puppy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Ibthink wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:32 pm
Trying to abuse the crimes of a crazy person
There seems to be an interesting statistic-backed correlation between such form of "craziness" (actually I found it completely bizzare to even name it like that) and adherents of Islam, don't you think? Maybe it is time to put it on the list of mental disorders. Similar to alcoholism, not all people who drink alcohol on a regular base have problems but those who have, it is due to the alcohol abuse.
Last edited by Puppy on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#253 Post by Puppy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:41 pm

(delete)
Huawei MateBook 13

skx
Sophomore Member

#254 Post by skx » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Ibthink wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:32 pm
coolcat37 wrote:
Trying to abuse the crimes of a crazy person (because it actually was not a terrorist attack with all the information there is right now!) to justify your crude worldview – disgusting.
Amen
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

Ibthink

#255 Post by Ibthink » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Puppy wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:40 pm
There seems to be an interesting statistic-backed correlation between such form of "craziness" (actually I found it completely bizzare to even name it like that) and adherents of Islam, don't you think? Maybe it is time to put it on the list of mental disorders. Similar to alcoholism, not all people who drink alcohol on a regular base have problems but those who have, it is due to the alcohol abuse.
Terrorism is not mental disorder. If you would classify it as such, it would be wrong. Terrorism is a political crime.

This case so far seems like a man with a psychosis, who put his own backpack at fire in a bus and then attacked people with a knife. Thats very much unlike a terrorist attack, because terrorists would normally try to kill as many as possible – a terrorist would start with a knife, not nonsensical things like burning his backpack.

We have had a similar case a few months ago, where someone drove a car into a street cafe. The media jumped on it and and proclaimed it terrorism – turned out to be a mentally ill person. These things happen, they have always happened. They are tragic and trying to instrumentalize such tragedy without knowing anything about the background is just sick.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#256 Post by Puppy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Ibthink wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:20 pm
attacked people with a knife.
Especially these attacks with a knife are, again statistically, specific to people related to the Islam roots. It isn't an organized terrorism, it is their default hate of the western culture in general. How comes there weren't so many of them five or more years ago?
Huawei MateBook 13

Ibthink

#257 Post by Ibthink » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Puppy wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:35 pm
How comes there weren't so many of them five or more years ago?
Knife attacks by genuine terrorists are pretty much a sign of desperation on their part – knifes are much worse at killing people than guns or bombs. Terrorists like IS and Al-Kaida would love to repeat something like 9/11, but they simply can't, the security level is too high now. So they resorted mostly to lone-wolf knife attacks and attacks with cars these days.

If you want to imply an connection with recent immigration: Sorry, but no. The biggest terrorist attack that happened in the last year, the one in Paris, was done mostly by people born here. Radicalization is a much bigger problem than immigration.

Rising extremism is just a sign of the disconnection many people have today in society – its drifting apart for many reasons. Applies as much to Islamist terrorism as it does with right-wing terrorism, which has also been on the rise in the last years. Many people are lost these day and these ideologies give them simple answers and identity.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#258 Post by Puppy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Ibthink wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:48 pm
Radicalization is a much bigger problem than immigration.
But the naive EU way of immigration rules (anyone who claim to be in need is accepted without any documents or false documents) supports it, especially if EU apparently can't handle the radicalization because of political corectness. EU exhibits total incompetence here, it begins with accepting all these fake immigrants who are making fools of you/us hunting for German/Sweden social security support only (that's why they refuse to stay in any other country, we have had already such case here) and no border protection and ends with tolerance of slow radicalization process in form of no-go zones and other aspects I've already mentioned.

In short, everything that happens is EU fault and any attempts of information censorship or hidding the reality will make it worse only. It is not about the attacks by knife only. Do you remember the massive sexual assaults on New Years Eve in Cologne or cancelled music festivals in Sweden because of the same issue? Still no connection? Did something like that happend ten years ago? No, why? Can we at least talk about the cause in public without being labelled badly?
Huawei MateBook 13

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#259 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Puppy wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:11 pm
Can we at least talk about the cause in public without being labelled badly?
Apparently not.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: political correctness is the cancer that will end the Western civilization.
coolcat37 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Balkanization, or Balkanisation, is a geopolitical term used to describe the process of fragmentation or division of a region or state into smaller regions or states that are often hostile or uncooperative with one another.
I'm very familiar with the term - having grown up and spent a large portion of my adult life in the region - but it's one of those terms that were dumped into language - just like "homophobia" or "lawsuit-era guitar" with little to no regards for reality.
No one is talking about savagery here.
To me personally, the linked article describes exactly savagery. Obviously, YMMV.
I am talking about dividing a society enough so that the groups within it don't get along with each other anymore, which is precisely what's happening in Europe.
These groups *never* got along, since the one causing the strife has always applied the same tactics, going back to their own holy book. There is no successful assimilation there, and will never be. For any European interested in their current environment, Quran should be mandatory reading.

Cheers,

skx
Sophomore Member

#260 Post by skx » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:35 pm

Puppy wrote:
Ibthink wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:48 pm
Radicalization is a much bigger problem than immigration.
But the naive EU way of immigration rules (anyone who claim to be in need is accepted without any documents or false documents) supports it, especially if EU apparently can't handle the radicalization because of political corectness. EU exhibits total incompetence here, it begins with accepting all these fake immigrants who are making fools of you/us hunting for German/Sweden social security support only (that's why they refuse to stay in any other country, we have had already such case here) and no border protection and ends with tolerance of slow radicalization process in form of no-go zones and other aspects I've already mentioned.

In short, everything that happens is EU fault and any attempts of information censorship or hidding the reality will make it worse only. It is not about the attacks by knife only. Do you remember the massive sexual assaults on New Years Eve in Cologne or cancelled music festivals in Sweden because of the same issue? Still no connection? :lol: Did something like that happend ten years ago? No, why? Can we at least talk about the cause in public without being labelled badly?
Seriously? :lol: Crime, terror, incidents etcetera are of all time. During the last 3 decades, my country faced plenty of child abuse scandals (Dutroux case gave us world coverage), right wing organized terror with guerilla executions in super markets (Brabant killers, cases still unsolved), Communist bombings (CCC), and more Belgian child abuse from our local Belgian priests,... I dare to say it was worse 10 and more years ago, the difference is that the media coverage today is faster and more widespread than >10 years ago. Many Belgians even did not yet have internet, go figure.

And yes, same applies for other countries in Europe, hell, even in peaceful Norway a mental guy in Oslo started shooting at random +100 people. And yes, he was considered mental ill and not a terrorist :lol: Stop reading populist newspapers and media channels, you are radicalizing yourself with your biased view on society. But some credits for you as well, it's true, we did not have German Wings mental ill kamikaze pilots 10 years ago ;)
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

Ibthink

#261 Post by Ibthink » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:11 am

Puppy wrote:
In short, everything that happens is EU fault
A statement that fundamentally ignores reality. Its not the EUs responsibility to handle immigration, nor is it is responsibility to handle radicalization. All of that is the responsibility of the individual member states. You can't blame the EU for things that it can not decide. You want to see the EU as the bogeyman, but what you are saying is simply not true.
ajkula66 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:45 pm
There is no successful assimilation there, and will never be.
No? Well, there are very well assimilated Muslim people in many countries of Europe. We have many politicians with Turkish immigration background serving in our parliament as members. These might be the best case scenario, but even if we forget about those, the absolute overwhelming majority of Muslim people living in Europe is peaceful.

It helps no one to generalize – no one but the terrorists & extremists.
ajkula66 wrote:
Apparently not.
Well, you are certainly doing exactly what the terrorists want. What do you think their goal is? Its in their name, to terrorize people. Why do you think they do that? Because they want to create conflict. Their end-goal is that all the Muslims rally behind them for a "final war" against the west. And the best way to rally Muslims is to bring the West to commit atrocities against Muslims. Because otherwise, around 90 % of Muslims won't follow them.

Curiously, thats very similar to extreme right-wing groups in the West, who dream of a "New Crusade" against Muslims.
ajkula66 wrote:
political correctness is the cancer that will end the Western civilization.
Really, Political Correctness? Not far bigger problems that actually rip our societies apart, like economic disparities? Or ecological problems that threaten all of mankind, not just the west?

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#262 Post by Puppy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:28 am

Ibthink wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:11 am
Its not the EUs responsibility to handle immigration, nor is it is responsibility to handle radicalization. All of that is the responsibility of the individual member states.
If they do, like Hungary, there is immediate response from the EU.
Ibthink wrote:
the absolute overwhelming majority of Muslim people living in Europe is peaceful.
Until they radicalize. I could also say that the absolute majority of people in former communist countries were peaceful while the ideology itself wasn't at all. Islam is focused to hate everyone else (kill all infidels), at least the way is currently presented. There were already many examples (recordings) that confirms that. Instead of taking an action (immediate deportation of those who spread it), nothing happend. Speaking of integration, how comes that many of these Turkish immigrants in EU openly celebrated the pro-islamist Erdogan win?

My own experience from Oberhausen visit. I found a hotel in the historic centre, it was brand new but much cheaper than hotels around the city. I specifically read all comments on Booking.com almost six months back, nothing wrong. When I came there I immediately got the picture why. The historic centre (typically the most expensive location in many cities) is a Turkish area, I took a walk to the hotel from the railway station, it was about 15 minutes. During that I almost haven't heard anyone speaking German, first time in the hotel. The hotel itself was really nice, new and clean but the location was the reason of the low price. In the evening I read more comments about three years back and I found that many people weren't recommending it because they hadn't felt safe in that area, especially it wasn't recommended for single females or female-only groups. I suppose they started to remove these comments lately (and I can understand them). Next day I was looking for a coffee/bakery to get a breakfast. There were many of them, when I checked them inside, they were clearly separated to Turkish and German ones based on customer group. That just few words about the integration.
Ibthink wrote:
Well, you are certainly doing exactly what the terrorists want.
Yes, we are still so naive that the problem will magically resolve itself if no action is taken.
Ibthink wrote:
Curiously, thats very similar to extreme right-wing groups in the West, who dream of a "New Crusade" against Muslims.
I don't know what a "New Crusade" you mean but certainly a "We have our laws and rules that applies to everyone, accept it or leave" message still hasn't been properly communicated.
Ibthink wrote:
Really, Political Correctness?
Yes, it is the biggest source of every problems!. Hiding the truth in the name of wrong political decisions is a fuel for all these extremist groups. The more you lie, the more they're stronger.
Last edited by Puppy on Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#263 Post by Puppy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:57 am

skx wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:35 pm
Crime, terror, incidents etcetera are of all time.
Yes but all these, while terrible, incidents has never affected everyday life of people like now. I guess the Merkel said that It won't affect our way of life but the exact opposite has happened. I can't remember cancelled music festivals because a specific group of people can't behave and have completely different, in our region unacceptable, way to treat womens (but it can't be discussed openly) or cancelling some events with Christian symbolism (the X-mass tree in Brussels https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-20302574) just because Muslim community 'feels offended' by it.

This has gone too far.
Huawei MateBook 13

skx
Sophomore Member

#264 Post by skx » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 am

Puppy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:57 am
skx wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:35 pm
Crime, terror, incidents etcetera are of all time.
Yes but all these, while terrible, incidents has never affected everyday life of people like now. I guess the Merkel said that It won't affect our way of life but the exact opposite has happened. I can't remember cancelled music festivals because a specific group of people can't behave and have completely different, in our region unacceptable, way to treat womens (but it can't be discussed openly) or cancelling some events with Christian symbolism (the X-mass tree in Brussels https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-20302574) just because Muslim community 'feels offended' by it.

This has gone too far.
As said, read less media or read better, quote, critics accuse officials of opting for the installation for fear of offending non-Christians, especially Muslims, end quote. Populists created a non issue for a artistic variant of the christmas tree. get out of your house and enjoy life. I am from Belgian, this never was an issue over here. fyi, over here in Belgian we still have a generation with same ideology of nazi germany. the grandchildren from the ones who once collaborated with the nazi germany and meanwhile infiltrated our federal government. it's sad we still have to deal with totalitarian thinking in the 21st century but there is no need to feed the totalitarian trolls on a thinkpad forum.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#265 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:39 am

skx wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 am
it's sad we still have to deal with totalitarian thinking in the 21st century but there is no need to feed the totalitarian trolls on a thinkpad forum.
You, sir, have an awful lot of nerve accusing a long-term forum member of being a troll of *any* kind. I would strongly suggest that you weigh your words more carefully in the future. Ad-hominem attacks are against forum rules.

I understand that you are new here and likely not used to this Forum's particular decorum that some of us have been maintaining for over a decade. Calling someone a troll is not a part of it, and will never be.

Cheers,

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#266 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:56 am

Admin Warning:

C'mon people, cool it down!
NO calling names, and NO personal attacks!
If you can't behave, I'll close this thread!

coolcat37
Sophomore Member

#267 Post by coolcat37 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:57 am

ajkula66 wrote:
political correctness is the cancer that will end the Western civilization.
what about the dumbing down of the masses? the massive consumption of mindless television? the bad food and bad health lifestyles? globalisation (having your middle class destroyed in favor of cheap slaves on the other side of the globe) etc.

the deliberate manipulation of our language and thus the way we think is but one of the current pitfalls we face

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#268 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 am

coolcat37 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:57 am

what about the dumbing down of the masses? the massive consumption of mindless television? the bad food and bad health lifestyles? globalisation (having your middle class destroyed in favor of cheap slaves on the other side of the globe) etc.
Dumbing down of the masses has been going on forever, although new levels have undoubtedly been reached. TV and lifestyles are just a part of that same picture.

The same ones that gifted us with globalization over the past 30 years or so are the ones who preach political correctness. But in order to actually fight globalization, we must get rid of the political correctness first.
the deliberate manipulation of our language and thus the way we think is but one of the current pitfalls we face
No argument from me on that one.

Cheers,

coolcat37
Sophomore Member

#269 Post by coolcat37 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 am

ajkula66 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 am
Dumbing down of the masses has been going on forever, although new levels have undoubtedly been reached. TV and lifestyles are just a part of that same picture.
Lest we forget smartphones. It's been spiraling quickly out of control ever since 6 years when they became available to the vast masses. Basically in public the majority of people have now the consciousness of an amoeba.
ajkula66 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 am
The same ones that gifted us with globalization over the past 30 years or so are the ones who preach political correctness. But in order to actually fight globalization, we must get rid of the political correctness first.
Well yes. Newspeak. 1984 is actually a manual, who would've thunk it?

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#270 Post by Puppy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:18 am

Three-year-old boy seriously injured in 'deliberate' acid attack in Worcester
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/t ... 93266.html

I picked that server because it is UK one and contains important pictures. Similar acid attacks becomes more and more common during last few years :( Why now and not ten or twenty years ago? No, we can't discuss it openly.
Huawei MateBook 13

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”