Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Android or iPhone

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Android or iPhone

#31 Post by Puppy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:37 pm

pianowizard wrote:Interesting find, but this is even more exciting:

https://www.akyumen.com/product/holofone-phablet/
Indeed, unfortunately the specs are bit incomplete. It might be US-specific due to limited LTE bands support. Also it is not clean whether regular monthly OS updates will be supported by the vendor, that's the most important aspect for me where other than Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile devices vendors like Acer fails miserably.

EDIT unfortunately the dual Android boot can not be wiped out that is biggest security flaw so I wouldn't go for the device, if malware infected from factory.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#32 Post by Puppy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:36 am

Currently the best Android phone is supposed to be Samsung S8. It has "great" security features: Samsung Galaxy S8 can be unlocked with a photograph

However, there appears to be a downside to Samsung's facial recognition security technology: where Windows Hello uses an infrared camera to sense heat and avoid being fooled by an image of a person, Samsung's new phone just has a regular camera. The result is that it looks like the phone can be unlocked simply be presenting it with a picture of the owner (video below).
Huawei MateBook 13

TankPad
Sophomore Member

#33 Post by TankPad » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Puppy wrote:Currently the best Android phone is supposed to be Samsung S8
This hypothesis was doomed from the off! :)
| 701c | X220 | T420 | X230 | T430s | W540

6G7hg

#34 Post by 6G7hg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:27 am

I've had 3 blackberry 9900's and I wouldn't take anything else these days except maybe a newer BB classic.

Went through Iphone, then android, then windows phone, and now 3 9900's. People around work are wondering why I'm still using the 9900 but I don't get their obsession with new phones, what are they doing on the phones these days besides gaming and social media and taking selfies every 30 minutes of their day. That's what people are like where I am.

I hope bb at least keep supporting the classic form factor with bb os. The multitasking and shortcut keys are really something. Page down scrolling on a webpage using the spacebar is great. And about apps, unless you want extras or games then the pre-installed apps are fine and can do anything productive

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#35 Post by Puppy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Windows 10 Mobile is (very likely) over now https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/c ... rnally_no/

So no other platform for me left :(
Huawei MateBook 13

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#36 Post by MikalE » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:26 am

I have a Galaxy S7 Edge that I hate. Had I known about this edge feature I would have opted for a regular S7. You can't pick up this phone without activating some feature or app unless you keep a clean home screen.

Android is OK, I've had an iPhone and they are OK too. If there was one thing I wish Android had would be the ability to load iTunes so I had seamless music integration with my computers.

I haven't tried a Windows phone, but I came close to getting one but couldn't find one with a large enough screen at the time.

I used to have an HTC One Max and it was a good phone. I wish I'd kept it and not gotten the Galaxy.

Can you load iTunes to a Windows phone as you would a Windows computer?
A31p P-IV 2Ghz, 2MB, 2653-R6U
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T520 i7QM 4242-4UU Highly Modified
T16 i7 1260P 21BV000SUS

TankPad
Sophomore Member

#37 Post by TankPad » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:47 am

MikalE wrote:I have a Galaxy S7 Edge that I hate. Had I known about this edge feature I would have opted for a regular S7. You can't pick up this phone without activating some feature or app unless you keep a clean home screen.

Android is OK, I've had an iPhone and they are OK too. If there was one thing I wish Android had would be the ability to load iTunes so I had seamless music integration with my computers.

I haven't tried a Windows phone, but I came close to getting one but couldn't find one with a large enough screen at the time.

I used to have an HTC One Max and it was a good phone. I wish I'd kept it and not gotten the Galaxy.

Can you load iTunes to a Windows phone as you would a Windows computer?
That was one of my gripes about the edge screen too. Apart from physical appearance, I found it a useless feature really. I ran a custom rom based on stock android and I found the phone much more enjoyable without all the Samsung junk. I thought the edge light notification thingy was pretty funny. Who wants to place their super expensive new phone screen side down on a table?

In relation to your music, maybe take a look at GoogleMusic. You can import your iTunes library and its available on iOS, Android and through the web so you won't be locked into any particular ecosystem.

Ernest Nest

#38 Post by Ernest Nest » Wed May 03, 2017 5:49 am

I have been using i phone for 5 years...I am still pretty happy with it. :D
Je suis Charlie

Dekks

#39 Post by Dekks » Wed May 03, 2017 6:44 am

Re OP - Neither
Puppy wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:50 pm
The Windows 10 telemetry saga is just clueless IT journalist crap (use translator to read this article). Microsoft also profit from advertising but it might be ~ 5% of the revenue while Google ~ 99%. That's the biggest difference and source of my Google services and products distrust.

Combining search engine queries data, crappy zero security OS user data, cloud/email data and even DNS queries data into one single package (Google) is something that everyone should be worried about. Add zero patches politics and always vulnerable and malware infected devices from factory ... I don't understand how one can use something that is so underdeveloped and dangerous in every aspect. The same applies to Facebook except it does not provide an "OS" yet.

Even Windows 95 was more secure by design than any Android.
I have a Nokia Lumia 620 for personal use and an old camera less & non-net Nokia feature phone for work. However i see no difference between google and MS wrt privacy. Win10 is free and like it or not you are now the MS revenue stream and profiling you for advertisers is a big part of that. Be clear MS wants into the same game as Google.
Home - Win 10 MSi GF63 Gaming Laptop /Arch GNOME 3/X230 Tablet /X61 [Korean] - Debian 10/T60p - Ubuntu 20.10 Helix 2
Work - Win10/Thinkpad X1 Tablet Gen 2

Saucey

#40 Post by Saucey » Wed May 03, 2017 8:05 pm

I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 when it first came out, it was my first smart phone as well.
Liked everything until how hot it performed and then the CPU overclocking in performance tests, which wasn't the real performance you ended up with.
Got it back to root, installed a custom rom and it was great, until I had to return it and get stuck with touchwiz again, luckily I was able to get a custom rom but touchwiz only.

Anywho, I am on iPhone 6s now, jailbroken but I will need to update it and probably lose the jailbreak.
Most likely going to get the bigger Google Pixel when they come out with new models at the end of this year.
I miss the customizations you can do with an android device. Although the 6s had that force touch feature, it got replaced by everyone.
My S4 started to crap out on itself and was stolen when my car was stolen for a week.

But at work we got in an Galaxy Note 2 and I liked it for the most part, however we got in a Galaxy S6 and it works a lot better than my iPhone IMO, just a bit too wide.
I think its that I just miss widgets.
Never really used a Microsoft phone other than one of those cheap models, wasn't really amazed by the UI.

I'm fine with the evils of Google over Microsoft and Apple.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

TankPad
Sophomore Member

#41 Post by TankPad » Wed May 03, 2017 10:58 pm

I got to spend some time with the new S8 (smaller of the two) and hardware-wise at least, it's up there with the best I've seen yet. As per usual though, the re-engineered version of android they run totally ruins the phone for me. I'll stick with the OnePlus 3T for the time being.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#42 Post by Puppy » Fri May 19, 2017 10:39 am

Apple is Lobbying Against Right-to-Repair Legislation Across the Country
https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/2495 ... ss-country
Huawei MateBook 13

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”