Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Yet another US government disaster...

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Yet another US government disaster...

#1 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:47 am

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Yet another US government disaster...

#2 Post by MikalE » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:06 am

Anything for a buck. I guess it's time for Tor again.
A31p P-IV 2Ghz, 2MB, 2653-R6U
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T520 i7QM 4242-4UU Highly Modified
T16 i7 1260P 21BV000SUS

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by dr_st » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:14 am

No, it's time for country-wide protests. :evil:

Surely if the Trump opposition could protest for weeks over imaginary things like "electing a racist hate-mongering Hitler", they can do just as well about real things, like this glaring breach of privacy.

No? :)
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 am

All the more reason for using ad-blockers.

It's also high time to start reading up on impeachment procedures...

BillP
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by BillP » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:04 am

dr_st wrote:No, it's time for country-wide protests. :evil:

Surely if the Trump opposition could protest for weeks over imaginary things like "electing a racist hate-mongering Hitler", they can do just as well about real things, like this glaring breach of privacy.

No? :)
No, most Americans are unable to figure out what is important. It will be up to individuals to protect themselves as best they can. This administration is capable of so much more - you ain't seen nothin' yet.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3184767/ ... g-you.html
ThinkPad T60 1951-43U (with many upgrades)

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Puppy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:33 am

Most of people already allowed it anyway by using Google services and systems that's sells all of your data. Those "slower" even setup the Google DNS resolver so the Big security hole knows about every domain you visit, even with a different software.

It is just another test of people's resistance or "wag the dog" (btw the movie is still excellent after the years) act to hide different problem.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by dr_st » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:41 am

Exposing the full browsing in a way that can tie it to a particular account, though, is far worse, and I don't think Google has been doing it.

In any case, you can choose not to use Google services and you can opt out of many things, if you do. You cannot choose not to use the internet. It has become a basic necessity just like water and electricity.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by Puppy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:06 am

dr_st wrote:Exposing the full browsing in a way that can tie it to a particular account, though, is far worse, and I don't think Google has been doing it.
By combining Google services, Chrome browser and their DNS resolver Google gets the same information together.
dr_st wrote:You cannot choose not to use the internet. It has become a basic necessity just like water and electricity.
Agree. Here the goverment has right to block any domain any time for any reason starting this year.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

TonyJZX

#9 Post by TonyJZX » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:53 pm

One thing is that the US decision is one that is well understood.

Its all about greed... the vast majority of the GOP field is getting money from the comms companies, those that arent are asked to fall in line.

So deep down, they dont give a fook about your privacy because they're in someones pocket.

This I can understand.

HOwever this....

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/wha ... 52806.html

Sort of boils my goat a bit more. Here's a middle aged woman who really doesnt understand anything about anything but takes online security as akin to allowing the post office to 'steam open your envelopes'.

I mean... I really hate these kinds of middle aged men and women making decisions like this with little understanding because they've been protected all their lives.

btw. all these politicans US and UK are exempt from these laws. Their privacy is sacrosanct.

Smells literally like Orwell.

Temetka
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#10 Post by Temetka » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:09 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:All the more reason for using ad-blockers.

1. Yes, but that won't stop the ISP's from tracking which sites your modem connects to.

2. The frack?!? Based on what? The man is not incompetent, nor has he done anything illegal. I'm tired of hearing this from people. The grounds to impeach a sitting POTUS require certain pre-requisites and procedures. Just because some people don't like him isn't a good enough reason. Personally I'm sick of the whole debate. I voted for him because the DNC screwed over Bernie and my candidate (Carson) dropped out. But to call for impeachment without meeting legal grounds is just spiteful IMO.

We're better off voting with our dollars and researching the candidates who run as well as their voting history, their backers (sponsors), etc. Also writing your reps is a good move also. The real way to change things is to get involved. Not [censored] and whine about it.

As a veteran I respect the Office he holds and I also have respect for the man. I had and still have respect for his predecessor as well.

But honestly, I think it's about time America got a swift kick in the butt and we stop being a bunch of thin skinned ninnies. Suck it up buttercup. Not everyone gets a gold star or participation trophy and not everyone wins. I wish Animal Farm was still required reading in schools. Everyone is equal, just some are more equal. Very true. Some people are smarter, some are stronger, some are quicker, some are more empathetic and so on. Not everyone is cut from the same cloth.
New:
Thinkpad T470 16GB RAM 250GB SSD LinuxMint
Old:
ThinkPad Tablet 16GB 1838-22U
IBM Thinkpad X61T, T61, T43, X41T, T60, T41P, T42, T410, X301, T430s, T450, T460

TonyJZX

#11 Post by TonyJZX » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:30 am

Temetka wrote: 2. The frack?!? Based on what? The man is not incompetent, nor has he done anything illegal. I'm tired of hearing this from people. The grounds to impeach a sitting POTUS require certain pre-requisites and procedures. Just because some people don't like him isn't a good enough reason. Personally I'm sick of the whole debate. I voted for him because the DNC screwed over Bernie and my candidate (Carson) dropped out. But to call for impeachment without meeting legal grounds is just spiteful IMO.
I disagree with the impeachment as well but I also disagree with your defeatist "take it like a [censored]" stance.

If you oppose the administration then you have a right to peaceful opposition by any legal means.

Ibthink

#12 Post by Ibthink » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:33 am

Temetka wrote:2. The frack?!? Based on what? The man is not incompetent, nor has he done anything illegal. I'm tired of hearing this from people. The grounds to impeach a sitting POTUS require certain pre-requisites and procedures. Just because some people don't like him isn't a good enough reason. Personally I'm sick of the whole debate. I voted for him because the DNC screwed over Bernie and my candidate (Carson) dropped out. But to call for impeachment without meeting legal grounds is just spiteful IMO.
So far he has shown nothing but incompetence, from his strategic advisor, who had to resign because of his connection with Russia, to the immigration ban for Muslims, which was canceled by the courts two times now, to the attempt at repealing the Affordable Care Act and destroying the healthcare system, which failed miserably. Nothing he has done so far as the President shows any hint of competence, this includes the treatment of other countries and US allies.

Regarding the impeachment: May I remind you that there was an impeachment process against Bill Clinton, because he had sexual intercourse with a Woman (and lied about it)? So far, Trump has lied far more often and about far more important things. And not only that: His connection and the connection of his team with Russia is very suspicious and something that was unheard of before. And also, his connection with his own business is very questionable, which could lead to charges of corruption (and thus, impeachment). The separation between his business and himself is not clear cut, for that he would have to sell it. Just a few days ago, it was reported that his son who now leads the business formally still gives Trump financial reports about the business. And also, the immigration ban for Muslims did not include countries where Donald Trump has business connections (like Saudi Arabia) - what a coincidence!

Plenty of potential impeachment material there, and after such a short amount of time - of course, all of this has to be looked into more, before the impeachment could happen.

In other news, his approval rating are at a new low (36 %).
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

Omineca
Sophomore Member

Re: RE: Re: Yet another US government disaster...

#13 Post by Omineca » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 am

TonyJZX wrote: Sort of boils my goat a bit more. Here's a middle aged woman who really doesnt understand anything about anything

I mean... I really hate these kinds of middle aged men and women making decisions like this with little understanding because they've been protected all their lives.
I take your point, but you've mentioned age twice, and age has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
There are plenty of people here, middle-aged and older, who know a great deal about computers, networking, and security. That expertise is often improved by age and experience.

On the other hand, you'll find people of all ages lacking in expertise and oblivious to privacy and security concerns.
Home: L440 | R500 | X120e Server
Work: ThinkPad Yoga 260 | Dell Latitude 5320

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#14 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:46 am

Here's another reason to dump Trump: him causing huge expenses in Florida:
https://www.indy100.com/article/secret- ... te-7653976

Not to mention the extra services and again: huge costs required for his wife and youngest son residing in New York instead of DC.
http://www.snopes.com/melania-trump-nyc-costs/

And why do Trump and his tower need all that extra protection?
http://fortune.com/2017/02/22/trump-tow ... -taxpayer/
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2017-trump-nyc-cost/

During his reign a president should stay in the Whitehouse and/or Camp David, period!

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#15 Post by TPFanatic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:03 am

I see the foreseeable problem with ISPs selling browsing history to advertisers involving other users connecting to your network, who don't block ads, will get "personalized" ads for you and know your browsing habits. Personalized ads and results, gleaned through intrusive spying / sharing of history, aren't a new tech, you can see this tech in use for example by Facebook giving you posts related to your Gmail conversations.

TonyJZX

#16 Post by TonyJZX » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:33 am

looks like it passed the senate and the house

good luck guys

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#17 Post by MikalE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:21 am

Temetka wrote:
RealBlackStuff wrote:All the more reason for using ad-blockers.

1. Yes, but that won't stop the ISP's from tracking which sites your modem connects to.

2. The frack?!? Based on what? The man is not incompetent, nor has he done anything illegal. I'm tired of hearing this from people. The grounds to impeach a sitting POTUS require certain pre-requisites and procedures. Just because some people don't like him isn't a good enough reason. Personally I'm sick of the whole debate. I voted for him because the DNC screwed over Bernie and my candidate (Carson) dropped out. But to call for impeachment without meeting legal grounds is just spiteful IMO.

We're better off voting with our dollars and researching the candidates who run as well as their voting history, their backers (sponsors), etc. Also writing your reps is a good move also. The real way to change things is to get involved. Not [censored] and whine about it.

As a veteran I respect the Office he holds and I also have respect for the man. I had and still have respect for his predecessor as well.

But honestly, I think it's about time America got a swift kick in the [censored] and we stop being a bunch of thin skinned ninnies. Suck it up buttercup. Not everyone gets a gold star or participation trophy and not everyone wins. I wish Animal Farm was still required reading in schools. Everyone is equal, just some are more equal. Very true. Some people are smarter, some are stronger, some are quicker, some are more empathetic and so on. Not everyone is cut from the same cloth.
Very good post.

The Snowflakes need to get over the fact their candidate lost and move on.
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T16 i7 1260P 21BV000SUS

Omineca
Sophomore Member

#18 Post by Omineca » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:00 am

I guess it really is time to start using a TOR browser (or perhaps a proxy would serve the purpose?) if you live in the US.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Omineca
Sophomore Member

#19 Post by Omineca » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:06 am

Temetka wrote:I wish Animal Farm was still required reading in schools. Everyone is equal, just some are more equal. Very true. Some people are smarter, some are stronger, some are quicker, some are more empathetic and so on. Not everyone is cut from the same cloth.
Funny that. You read Animal Farm and took away the lessons of Atlas Shrugged.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#20 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 am

MisterB

#21 Post by MisterB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 am

Puppy wrote:Most of people already allowed it anyway by using Google services and systems that's sells all of your data. Those "slower" even setup the Google DNS resolver so the Big security hole knows about every domain you visit, even with a different software.

It is just another test of people's resistance or "wag the dog" (btw the movie is still excellent after the years) act to hide different problem.
Google is easily avoided. Just add "0.0.0.0 google.com" to your hosts file and do the same for any other google domains like gstatic.com and google will be completely banished from your internet experience. Having an ISP monitor every connection you make is a different story. Some of the techniques being talked about are downright nasty and have security implications. ISPs will be able to perform legally sanctioned man in the middle attacks now.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/03/f ... vacy-rules

Using a VPN and secure DNS resolver that has nothing to do with the ISP are the only options left. I recently set up my own private DNS resolver that blackholes ad and malware domains and it looks like the time was right. It was not nearly as difficult or complicated a project as it looked at first. Easily done on a Rasberry Pi on a local LAN or one can rent a low cost low spec VPS server for a few dollars a year and set one up in the cloud. The software to do this is all free and open source.
I've got a T580, 2 W500s, a W520, an X201T, an X220T, an 3 X61Ts, a 15" T60, a 14" T60P, a 15" UXGA T60P, a 15" T42p a W701, and my first Thinkpad, a 770X.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#22 Post by dr_st » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:05 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:Disaster confirmed: http://www.zdnet.com/article/congress-r ... acy-rules/
It spins it in a slightly, but meaningfully different light, though.

The key point is: "Once the bill becomes law, it effectively lets internet providers carry on doing with your browser history what they have always done."

Which implies that the situation has already been like this, and it is just that the Obama administration tried to impose limits, which the Trump administration repealed. Given the general animosity between the administrations it is clear why they would want to do this just to "stick it to Obama", without actually regarding the merits. But the important question here is: Is it currently the situation in the US that the ISPs can do whatever they want with the browsing history of their customers without asking for consent and without a court order requiring them to divulge the information?

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#23 Post by axur-delmeria » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:07 pm

MisterB,
I've an RPi2 with nothing to do, and a USB LAN adapter that only works on XP and Linux. Can you link to a guide on how to set up that DNS resolver you mentioned? :)
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

crux

#24 Post by crux » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:10 pm

dr_st wrote:
RealBlackStuff wrote:Disaster confirmed: http://www.zdnet.com/article/congress-r ... acy-rules/
It spins it in a slightly, but meaningfully different light, though.

The key point is: "Once the bill becomes law, it effectively lets internet providers carry on doing with your browser history what they have always done."
Nothing to see here, move along...

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... bout-it/3/

Charter planned on doing the same thing back in 2008 but backed down after criticism:

https://consumerist.com/2008/05/13/char ... geted-ads/

I've had Charter cable for a little over a year and there have been several times I click on an old link that instead of going to a normal 404 page goes to a Charter page with a search field and text something to the effect of "Oops! We couldn't find the page you're looking for" and if you'd like to try again.

I was shocked the first time I saw it. Never in over a decade with AT&T did I ever have a similar experience, and it made me wonder just exactly how much they really were monitoring their customers online activities. I'm planning on substituting OpenDNS for the default Charter nameservers in my router and always use the HTTPS Everywhere extension for Firefox.
W520 running OpenBSD 6.2
T43 running OpenBSD 6.2
T61 running FreeBSD 11.1 x's 2
X61 running FreeBSD 11.1
T400 running Solaris 11.3

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#25 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Omineca wrote:
Temetka wrote:I wish Animal Farm was still required reading in schools. Everyone is equal, just some are more equal. Very true. Some people are smarter, some are stronger, some are quicker, some are more empathetic and so on. Not everyone is cut from the same cloth.

k
Both should be mandatory reading IMO...

As for the subject matter, all of us should know how to get around our ISPs...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

TonyJZX

#26 Post by TonyJZX » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:56 pm

MisterB

#27 Post by MisterB » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:26 am

axur-delmeria wrote:MisterB,
I've an RPi2 with nothing to do, and a USB LAN adapter that only works on XP and Linux. Can you link to a guide on how to set up that DNS resolver you mentioned? :)
I'm using unbound as my resolver software. The basic setup is here.

https://calomel.org/unbound_dns.html

I'm using it as a recursive validating DNS server on my VPS and as a caching DNS server that forwards to my cloud DNS on my rasberry pi on my LAN. No reason you can't do a full recursive validing server with a rasberry pi. The only issue I've had is that recursive DNS servers that implement DNSSEC can be abused for DDOS attacks by a method called dnnsec amplification. This means that you can't leave them wide open and have to restrict access. On a LAN that is not a big problem and the default is to only allow access from the local subnet. For a cloud VPS, I've had to restrict access to my home IP and VPN ips under my control. For adblocking, I use this script with a few more lists added.

https://wuffleton.com/code/unbound-blacklist/
I've got a T580, 2 W500s, a W520, an X201T, an X220T, an 3 X61Ts, a 15" T60, a 14" T60P, a 15" UXGA T60P, a 15" T42p a W701, and my first Thinkpad, a 770X.

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#28 Post by MikalE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 am

I tried the Tor browser with this site yesterday and it banned the IP and couldn't post or see new posts.
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T16 i7 1260P 21BV000SUS

Temetka
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#29 Post by Temetka » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:01 am

Omineca wrote:

I don't think so. Look at the plot summaries for both books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged#Plot

As much as I don't usually care for Huffington Post, this is a pretty good article on Atlas Shrugged.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-well ... 85695.html

On another note, this topic made me add them to my kindle to re-read. Along with Gatsby because that's just a fun book.

Now that I think about it, I might as well add in Civil Disobedience as well.
New:
Thinkpad T470 16GB RAM 250GB SSD LinuxMint
Old:
ThinkPad Tablet 16GB 1838-22U
IBM Thinkpad X61T, T61, T43, X41T, T60, T41P, T42, T410, X301, T430s, T450, T460

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#30 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:59 pm

VPN is not all that it is supposed to be: http://www.zdnet.com/article/for-intern ... -save-you/
ZDNet wrote:And while nothing is perfect, and the web will never be completely secure (nothing ever is), you're better off taking advantage of plugins like HTTPS Everywhere, which pushes for secure pages over non-secure pages where available.