Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Dell Inspiron 3000 (1997) F1 key no longer functioning

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
MSQ90

Dell Inspiron 3000 (1997) F1 key no longer functioning

#1 Post by MSQ90 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:57 pm

This issue popped up after reinstalling win98. The CMOS battery appears to be dead, and the only way i can repair it is to disassemble the entire laptop in order to do so. However, the first few times I used the laptop, I was able to strike f1 and continue to windows. But now it looks like F1 doesn't do anything to the error screen. I'm not sure if the BIOS screen is preventing me from pressing F1 or just that specific key failed. I have to use an external keyboard in order to bypass this screen. Any ideas?

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Dell Inspiron 3000 (1997) F1 key no longer functioning

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Do any other keys work? When you boot into 95, can you use a keyboard check utility to see if the F1 key is truly dead, and if any others are affected. The trace that goes through the F1 key may be broken.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Dell Inspiron 3000 (1997) F1 key no longer functioning

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:22 pm

No offense meant, but I think you should check on Dell forums, not on IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad ones.