Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

FYI: Chinese memory sellers warning.

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
thinkpadcollection

FYI: Chinese memory sellers warning.

#1 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Make sure to specify the memory as shown in ebay auction which I did and chinese sellers ignored my requests to be correct parts. Been this way since end of July to end of Aug purchases of this year 2017;

Unrelated to this chinese seller but still, Planetmemory based in USA sold me not working properly g.skill modules; any of my computers will not boot with g.skill pair, either two of one module worked and returned for 4x matched mushkin 2GB and sent me mismatched pair along with matched pair so I ended relationship with this seller who claimed all of these memories worked in his test computer turned out to be a P4 Dell machine which does not do DDR2 800, I know this as I also have a Dell GX620 and I intended to use them in my Dell 755 and 760, Asus P5K. Also I asked and seller refused to confirm if he tested as pair or individually. To be speak, do not deal with Planetmemory ever.

1. ebay auction sold as micron modules and received as elpida chips with micron label, ran as DDR2 667 not DDR2 800 but works on ASUS as DDR2 800 (means SPD programming is not correct).
2. ebay auction was sold as Samsung 4x4GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800E DDR3 1600MHZ ECC Unbuffered for my HP Z220 entry-level workstation with Xeon E3-1280V2. BIOS registered these memory SPD as DDR3-1333 and CPU-Z reports DDR3 1600 SPD programming bin column as missing (no 800MHz) and serial number is all same for four modules means SPD were cloned from wrong module on these four modules. So I returned it for refund. I since have purchased used 4x4GB black Micron ECC DDR3-1600 from USA reseller on ebay and awaiting arrival of these.

For historical data point several years ago, I had to rebuild a family computer with Asus board H81 with two memory slots only (local store's fault as I specified 4 memory slots), and Haswell CPU, pair of 4GB DDR3-1600 Consair Vengence. Auto-detected as DDR3-1333 so had to manually adjusted to DDR3-1600 and been this way, till memory errors forced me to swap to micron DDR3-1333 pair which automatically detected correctly. I finally met my promise to upgrade family computer to 16GB last month using pair of Crucial 8GB modules rated at DDR3-1600. Detected automatically as 1600 correctly and error-free, this crucial pair also was from HP Z220 also working properly as DDR3-1600.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection