Expert Modders

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
taichi

Expert Modders

#1 Post by taichi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:53 am

I'm wondering who on the forum are the most audacious modders? I'm trying to get help with an older, but unique, HP laptop, and I think some of the most creative mods are accomplished by Thinkpadders. Frankly, some of the Frankenpads are way beyond what are done on other computer sites, by other forum posters.

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Expert Modders

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:37 am

@el-sahef hands down no questions asked. While others are really great and I totally respect their quite superior skills to me, he has managed to shove an i7 in a 600X. That is not an easy thing to do, and in reality, it is almost impossible but it was done. Hats off to him.
Welcome to the jungle, we have FrankenPads
If you want it you're going to bleed, but that is the price to pay
And you're a very rare mobo, very hard to get
You can see the blinky lights, but you won't get them for free.

taichi

#3 Post by taichi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Is he here in the US?

How do I find him on the forum, as I can't seem to find search anywhere?

Update:

I did a web search with his name, and the forum name, and found out that he lives in Frankfurt!

I need to find a modder here in the US. It's conceivable that the gentleman might be able to troubleshoot from the schemata, but ideally I need to find someone who could be paid to do the actual mod.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:17 am

I doubt you'll find any HP-interested modder on this forum.
Try to contact some people here: https://hackaday.com/category/laptops-hacks/
or here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1379034/laptop-mods

PS: El-sahef is active on the German sister-forum: https://thinkpad-forum.de/

taichi

#5 Post by taichi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks for the suggestion, RBS!

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#6 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:23 pm

You may want to take a look at various HP-related threads on NBR. I don't visit the site anymore, but there were a few folks over there who got the living daylight modded out of their Dragons and what not...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF

Abused daily: T61p

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

taichi

#7 Post by taichi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks, George. I'll give it a shot.

I admire what people have done modding their Thinkpads, and have confidence in our long term members. This is a real community, managed by Captain Bill.

I was hoping to find someone on this forum because of what's been done here.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 am

It might help if you tell us exactly what you want/plan...

taichi

#9 Post by taichi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Sure.

Some years years ago HP produced a unique laptop, the HP HDX Pavilion 9000 series, known as the Dragon. It has a 20.1 inch display that is fully articulated, amazing speakers, and a great keyboard. The problem was the Nvidia 8800M GTS card which is somewhat under-powered, and has a tendency to fail after three years or so, usually due to heat. It should have been recalled along with the defective 8400-8600 series, as the defect is the same.

After many unsuccessful attempts to upgrade the MXM card, a very capable technician figured out that the LVDS cables were inverted relative to the typical laptop layout. As a result he installed an Nvidia Quadro 3700M into the Dragon, and it works. It processes video as it should, but there is one anomaly… The WUXGA screen, which is an 8-bit screen, appears dimmer, or less intense than it should, giving the screen a dull appearance, and it's been established that the 3700M is only putting out 6 Bits to the screen, which would give it the symptoms described.

I was unsuccessful in reaching laptop guru/modder Leo Kim from Thinkpad.kr in South Korea who knows how to change the bit output on this card. Moreover, this may not be the reason that the display is dimmer with this card, though it is probable.

Recently I found out from a technician at another company that the LVDS cable may still be the culprit, with one or more pairs of wires in the LVDS reversed, reversing signal and return. This would definitely drop the Bit output. As a scientist friend once told me, the first step in troubleshooting is cabling. It's been the culprit so far.

Replacing the GPU is the immediate goal. There is another idea that is right up the alley of those who make Frankenpads.

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”