Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Latitude 3350 bios update failure and Tags.

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
thinkpadcollection

Latitude 3350 bios update failure and Tags.

#1 Post by thinkpadcollection » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:28 pm

I recently obtained a Latitude 3350 motherboard from online vendor (not a ebay), to upgrade a Latitude 3340 (was celeron, motherboard's fan driver not working) that is working great except for few issues I need to solve:

The bios version is X00, should be A00 thru A13 (current version from Dell download), fails every time saying in red "BIOS update failed: rebooting your system". I have dell genuine power adapter and official battery pack at 100% condition.

All of the Tags are incorrect and missing; Service Tag "1231231" (should be something like 13JCC82) also both Asset Tag and Ownership Tag are missing. I need to fix these. I cannot find a utility to do this, just be careful with your replies as I had searched online for these and they are all wrong and "unobtainable". The official Dell statement says Replace systemboard and enter service tag once. I find this bogus.

Also there is a linux utility but this is made for older Optiplex 3xx/7xx series only.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Latitude 3350 bios update failure and Tags.

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:43 pm

thinkpadcollection

Re: Latitude 3350 bios update failure and Tags.

#3 Post by thinkpadcollection » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Thank you for this link, this is not supported for this newer systems. This is for older computers. "This system is not supported by this utility (error 2)." And halts there.

The copyright date is 1997-2003, mine is Latitude 3350 from 2015 era.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection