Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Just a story of reliability

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
whqdz
Freshman Member

Just a story of reliability

#1 Post by whqdz » Wed May 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Hello there :)

I'm a thinkpad user for a short while now, I use a t430s that I bought on ebay and a x201 that comes from a refurb. I love these computers, really strong and works perfectly with any linux distro. Both of them are old but darn, they work so well, they are so comfortable for working!

Now, a short story.

Some weeks ago I was waiting for a plane to go to US. Before checking the billboard with the gates scheduling, my laptop bag that was half opened, fell down on the ground. I heared a weird sound but I was tired, so I didn't really care. Once I had to pass through the immigration checking, and then I had to put all my electronic stuff in the box for the Xray machine, I've noticed that the "suspend" light of my t430s was lighting.

Once I was in front of my gate, it was time to check my thinkpad... that was scary : the screen was a little bit out of the cover, the little things to open the laptop didn't work because it was blocked, I heared many weird sounds like "darn, i've f****** broke my computer".

But no, in fact, it was nothing, and I've been able to put in everything that went out, everything working perfectly.

Conclusion: thinkpads are monsters.

Since that day, I check a lot ebay and some others websites, and I don't see a lot of thinkpads in comparison of some others brands / models.

My questions: for you, is it a fact of high reliability when a specific brand / model is not very populard on second hand shops? Do you have a thinkpad story to share to the community?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Just a story of reliability

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 pm

whqdz wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:28 pm
My questions: for you, is it a fact of high reliability when a specific brand / model is not very popular on second hand shops?
Proper question would be:
is it a fact of high reliability when a specific brand / model is very popular, but (because of that) hardly available in second hand shops?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

whqdz
Freshman Member

#3 Post by whqdz » Wed May 02, 2018 4:13 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 pm
whqdz wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:28 pm
My questions: for you, is it a fact of high reliability when a specific brand / model is not very popular on second hand shops?
Proper question would be:
is it a fact of high reliability when a specific brand / model is very popular, but (because of that) hardly available in second hand shops?
Eheh right, thanks to you. I plan to improve my english level as soon as I finished my projets :)
So sorry for that!

TonyJZX

#4 Post by TonyJZX » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:13 pm

I dont know how second hand shops are where you are but they dont end up there where I am.

They end up on ebay or gumtree etc.

If there are any laptops they are usually the crappy HP Compaq or Acer consumer units.

However as many of us are information tech workers we have access to all the old machines our clients have or to ex lease wholesalers etc.

In the scheme of things, a T430 is not that old, maybe 4 gens back but its still built largely the same way a proper Thinkpad is.

So right now I see a lot of T410s etc. some 430 440s for sale... usually lowish spec 4Gb ram and no hdd.

I trust these for my work and they put up with a lot of abuse. eg. I have a Thinkpad in a laptop bag in the boot/trunk of my car and its heat cycled because it may get to just above freezing at night and up to 30c 90F in the day and there may be moisture in the back of the car.

They still work. Granted I have similar experiences with Latitudes and Elitebooks.

I Have also done clumsy stuff like put tools and heavy objects onto of a THinkpad and drove off, I've dropped a Thinkpad onto the road surface from waist height.

I am reasonably cavalier as I have multiple units so...

CrazyTPFan
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by CrazyTPFan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:31 pm

Nice to see that your ThinkPad is as durable as it should be. I also 100% agree that these laptops are absolute MONSTERS :twisted:.

Summilux

#6 Post by Summilux » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:57 pm

My X220 is starting to fall apart. The plastics on the frame are of really bad quality compared to my T60. Thinkpads might be monsters, but Lenovopads sure ain't.
Deathwisher
T60 2007-FSG (stolen)
X220 4287-CTO

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”