Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Battery rebuilder for 24V unit, in Toronto, Canada?

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Dos3.1
Freshman Member

Battery rebuilder for 24V unit, in Toronto, Canada?

#1 Post by Dos3.1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:32 am

I'm having no luck finding a replacement battery for my Mom's rechargeable lawnmower, so thought I'd ask you knowledgeable Thinkpadders for advice or a referral to someone who can rebuild such a battery, if that's possible (I've heard of rebuilding Thinkpad batteries, so figured it was worth a shot).

The battery worked fine for several years, but now it's not lasting nearly as long. I tried the retail store where it was purchased, and even the manufacturer, but the model is out of production, has been for years now. So, spare parts are in short supply.

Got a new AC charger, so ruled that out, but have not been able to find a new battery.

Do you know if there's anyone local to me who can rebuild this battery? Would rather not deal with shipping, as it's quite heavy (but maybe could if there's no other option).

Thanks.
...typed on a T60...

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Battery rebuilder for 24V unit, in Toronto, Canada?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:19 am

We might be more helpful if you also give make/model of the 'old' stuff...
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

TankPad
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by TankPad » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:45 am

If it's very heavy like ya say, then it may be an old lead acid battery inside a case of some sort. Take some pics of the battery and some measurements too. It may be a simple case of getting a generic drop-in replacement.
| 701c | X220 | T420 | X230 | T430s | W540

Dos3.1
Freshman Member

#4 Post by Dos3.1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:06 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:19 am
We might be more helpful if you also give make/model of the 'old' stuff...
Good point, RBS, thanks.

The make is Yardworks.
Battery serial #060-1778-0
Mower serial #060-2-142-0
...typed on a T60...

Dos3.1
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Dos3.1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:18 am

TankPad wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:45 am
If it's very heavy like ya say, then it may be an old lead acid battery inside a case of some sort. Take some pics of the battery and some measurements too. It may be a simple case of getting a generic drop-in replacement.
I do hope that's the solution, my mum would like to keep her mower! The battery design is about 5 years old; it may be Li-ion, not sure. I will get another look at it and see what I can determine, thanks for the idea.
...typed on a T60...

TankPad
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by TankPad » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:42 am

Dos3.1 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:18 am
TankPad wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:45 am
I do hope that's the solution, my mum would like to keep her mower! The battery design is about 5 years old; it may be Li-ion, not sure. I will get another look at it and see what I can determine, thanks for the idea.
I did a quick search on the numbers your provided and came up with a battery similar to the one in this video.
https://youtu.be/K9sf2xJR8iE
Does that look about right to you? If so, those are off-the-shelf at any decent battery supplier and you only need your measurements. You may even have some wiggle room to drop in a higher capacity battery than the original.
| 701c | X220 | T420 | X230 | T430s | W540

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:43 am

See this for an example: viewtopic.php?p=786680#p786680
Dewalt seems to make batteries for most things.

OTOH, that machine seems to be rather problematic: https://www.complaintsboard.com/complai ... 84682.html

It might be cheaper in the end to maybe look for a different, better lawnmower with better batteries?

Dos3.1
Freshman Member

#8 Post by Dos3.1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:48 am

TankPad wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:42 am
I did a quick search on the numbers your provided and came up with a battery similar to the one in this video.
https://youtu.be/K9sf2xJR8iE
Does that look about right to you? If so, those are off-the-shelf at any decent battery supplier and you only need your measurements. You may even have some wiggle room to drop in a higher capacity battery than the original.
Great find, I think that's it! Quite interesting to see what's under the cover. This gives me some options, thanks! I'll post back if I find a supplier and get this fixed.
...typed on a T60...

Dos3.1
Freshman Member

#9 Post by Dos3.1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:05 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:43 am
See this for an example: viewtopic.php?p=786680#p786680
Dewalt seems to make batteries for most things.

OTOH, that machine seems to be rather problematic: https://www.complaintsboard.com/complai ... 84682.html

It might be cheaper in the end to maybe look for a different, better lawnmower with better batteries?
3 pages of complaints, yikes! Yes, seems like a bad design, and I can confirm poor service from the retailer and manufacturer. We got lucky with the mower itself, no issues there, but we are on our 2nd battery. Wish I'd known what was inside the battery cover before (and to look there), as maybe could have replaced the original battery with something better than another stock item.

This whole thing reminds me of my Apple G5 experience: most expensive computer I ever bought, and it worked great for years (and is still going strong, I use it for specific graphics tasks), but support was dropped for it, so it was essentially a "dead" model from there on.

If I find a solution to this battery, like finding a new one to drop in the case, which seems the only way to go, I'll post back. Thanks for your help!
...typed on a T60...