Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Trivago for Thinkpads

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
wolfgang000

Trivago for Thinkpads

#1 Post by wolfgang000 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:16 pm

I had been looking for a used/refurbished ThinkPad to buy for the last week, I had been going back and forth between eBay, Amazon, and Newegg looking for good prices(this will be my first ThinkPad)

So I thong what if I could search through amazon and eBay at the same time and compare prices... just like trivago but for thinkpads. Thus trivago for thinkpads was born(well only the idea for the moment)

https://trivagoforthinkpads.wsalazar.net

For the moment it just a small landing page but I want your opinion If you like the idea you can sign up on the landing page to be notified when the site goes live.

And by the way thanks for reading!

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: Trivago for Thinkpads

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:16 pm

hello wolfgang..
welcome to the forum..

while your first post borders on being spam i'll leave it up.. at least for now.. :)
so you other mods and admins, please leave it there..

your ip comes up as punto fijo which is close enough but i thought the internet in venezuela was, well, banned or illegal or something..
so good going you're getting comms with the outside world..

as for your site idea i THINK such things are already done..
there is an add-on i use, on another computer, for finding the best price on anything i look at.. on amazon..

as for such for thinkpads exclusively (whether new or used) i don't think so.. yet, it seems.. :)
it will be interesting to see what you come up with..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:21 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

Why don't you give us a sample of what your latest search results are?
Usually people here are only looking for one model at a time, not a whole list...
Further limitations: from the number of posts on the different sub-fora, you should be able to deduce
that we here are mostly interested in REAL Thinkpads, and not very much in Yoga, Ideapads, Edge and other El Cheapo consumer stuff.

As a maybe far-fetched and too early suggestion: give people a choice of which Series (and where) they want to (re)search.
In other words, maybe set up separate searches (or give options) for South America, USA/Canada, Europe and Asia/Australia/New Zealand.

PS: you also need to come up with a better name than the copyrighted Trivago.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

wolfgang000

#4 Post by wolfgang000 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 pm

BillMorrow wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:16 pm
hello wolfgang..
welcome to the forum..

while your first post borders on being spam i'll leave it up.. at least for now.. :)
so you other mods and admins, please leave it there..

your ip comes up as punto fijo which is close enough but i thought the internet in venezuela was, well, banned or illegal or something..
so good going you're getting comms with the outside world..

as for your site idea i THINK such things are already done..
there is an add-on i use, on another computer, for finding the best price on anything i look at.. on amazon..

as for such for thinkpads exclusively (whether new or used) i don't think so.. yet, it seems.. :)
it will be interesting to see what you come up with..
Thanks, the internet here in venezuela well its not ilegal just very expensive and of poor quality (I'm paying $20 for 2 Mbps while the minimum wage is 2$ per month...), by the way, thanks for the feedback for the moment I am just testing the idea, It is a relatively easy project to do(maybe a couple of weekends) but first I want to be sure there is a market...

wolfgang000

#5 Post by wolfgang000 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:36 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:21 pm
Welcome to the Forum.

Why don't you give us a sample of what your latest search results are?
Usually people here are only looking for one model at a time, not a whole list...
Further limitations: from the number of posts on the different sub-fora, you should be able to deduce
that we here are mostly interested in REAL Thinkpads, and not very much in Yoga, Ideapads, Edge and other El Cheapo consumer stuff.

As a maybe far-fetched and too early suggestion: give people a choice of which Series (and where) they want to (re)search.
In other words, maybe set up separate searches (or give options) for South America, USA/Canada, Europe and Asia/Australia/New Zealand.

PS: you also need to come up with a better name than the copyrighted Trivago.
Thanks!
1) that's the search for specific models was one the reason I want to make this project, I tested others price comparators and the search customizations are very limiting,
2) the country think was other of my concerns but for the moment the searches are going to be limited to the market US... for the moment of course
3) The name is only temporary while I find a more suitable one( I was thinking something simple like buyathinkpad.com)
4) The site is under construction (I literally start coding this morning) but thanks for the interest I will keep you updated, of course, if the admins don't mark me as spam :oops:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:16 am

After looking around just a tiny bit, it seems that your idea comes a bit (too) late...
The competition is stiff and already exists in abundance: 25 best price-comparison websites
No offense meant but I'd say: forget it!