Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

I wonder which is toughest... TP, Let's Note, or Sony VAIO

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Yukikaze

I wonder which is toughest... TP, Let's Note, or Sony VAIO

#1 Post by Yukikaze » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:22 am

A while back I saw YT vids of Toshiba's factory/testing lab (they unlisted the lab ones soon after) where all the equipment was shown - including one where motherboards are heated and checked for circuit cracks. But as for hinge testing and all that, Panasonic hasn't shown us much. Sony did show some pics and info years back and the new VAIO actively promoted it (Azumino Finish checking too) but only last year we saw Yamato Labs' testing and so which brand is toughest? Sony began testing because IBM was doing it.
Modified T470 to look like TP Anniversary Edition; TP 25; E550; T540p; wants a T420 or P1 to see what's good.

zoltan87

Re: I wonder which is toughest... TP, Let's Note, or Sony VAIO

#2 Post by zoltan87 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Sometimes I wonder, how these tests are being carried out. For example I have never seen a Thinkpad T61 with firm hinges, they are ALWAYS wobbly. If they properly tested those things, there is no way they could have passed those tests. I mean those hinges start to develop a play literally within a few weeks of use, on a machine that would be like what, a hundred open-close cycles?

So yeah, I am sure tests are being done, but I am also certain, that in many cases they forget to account for every variable. Or maybe skip the whole testing, thinking "well this hinge (/some other part) is almost the same as on the previous model, we can surely skip this time wasting testing procedure, and save some money".
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

CrazyTPFan
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by CrazyTPFan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:13 pm

I think that these company's have a test laptop that they use that are a little different than the ones that they sell. I know, it sounds crazy but I could be right.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm

zoltan87 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:22 pm
Sometimes I wonder, how these tests are being carried out. For example I have never seen a Thinkpad T61 with firm hinges, they are ALWAYS wobbly. If they properly tested those things, there is no way they could have passed those tests. I mean those hinges start to develop a play literally within a few weeks of use, on a machine that would be like what, a hundred open-close cycles?

So yeah, I am sure tests are being done, but I am also certain, that in many cases they forget to account for every variable. Or maybe skip the whole testing, thinking "well this hinge (/some other part) is almost the same as on the previous model, we can surely skip this time wasting testing procedure, and save some money".
I have one without wobbly hinges..

Can you guess why?

It's NOS.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

KentT
Freshman Member

#5 Post by KentT » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Panasonic Let's Note are business grade ToughBooks as far as the USA goes. Panasonic and TP are toughest. Sony VAIO is consumer grade and lesser build quality. Spastic me has good success with Panasonic and TP notebooks, and less success with modern VAIO machines past the early ones.