Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad batteries can not be repaired?

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
u666sa
Freshman Member

Thinkpad batteries can not be repaired?

#1 Post by u666sa » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:22 am

I just disassembled and charged by thinkpad battery using a lab power supply up to 13.1 volts. It takes voltage nicely. If you leaving it alone after charging, it does not loose it. But when I stick it into laptop, laptop says battery is fully discharged... Even though battery is charged.

What's happening here?

Am I correct to assume that battery has firmware that says battery is dead?

OR

I have to disassembled each of 9 cells and check them one by one? (I don't think there will be a point in doing that, since they all appear to be good, and they charged up nicely)

HELLLPPP!!!

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Thinkpad batteries can not be repaired?

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:49 am

Laptop battery packs have a BMS (battery management system). Lithium cells self-discharge over time, and when its voltage drops to 0v (or a sufficiently low voltage), a safety device in the BMS detects this and trips. When the battery pack is charged again, the BMS detects the tripped safety and prevents it from being charged.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

u666sa
Freshman Member

#3 Post by u666sa » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:28 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:49 am
Laptop battery packs have a BMS (battery management system). Lithium cells self-discharge over time, and when its voltage drops to 0v (or a sufficiently low voltage), a safety device in the BMS detects this and trips. When the battery pack is charged again, the BMS detects the tripped safety and prevents it from being charged.
How to circumvent this evilness? W520 battery..

I'm penny pinching here, can't afford a cheap battery from china... Yet.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:03 pm

That evilness is "erring on the side of caution" unless you want your battery to explode or catch fire.

I don't know the specifics, but whatever needs to be done to get it to start charging requires cracking open the battery pack's plastic shell, and most likely replacing a certain component.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

u666sa
Freshman Member

#5 Post by u666sa » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:17 am

I got the cracking case open thingy, there is no problem with that.

Tell me what component to replace?

I even have eprom programmer and can modify any kind of firmware it has on that board, just tell me how to do it. :bow:

Let's be realistic, if I order this same type of battery from aliexpress, chances of it weighting the same are 50/50 or less. Meaning, it won't be as good as the original one. And you are wrong about battery catching fire and stuff like that, I never throw laptop batteries away, I always take them apart, and take elements out. Battery might have one or two elements bad, the rest will be good and can be reused. For example you can stick them into laser sight for your rifle and stuff like that. Those elements are even better than what you can buy at the store. :thumbs-UP:

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:12 pm

u666sa wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:17 am
I got the cracking case open thingy, there is no problem with that.

Tell me what component to replace?

I even have eprom programmer and can modify any kind of firmware it has on that board, just tell me how to do it. :bow:

Let's be realistic, if I order this same type of battery from aliexpress, chances of it weighting the same are 50/50 or less. Meaning, it won't be as good as the original one. And you are wrong about battery catching fire and stuff like that, I never throw laptop batteries away, I always take them apart, and take elements out. Battery might have one or two elements bad, the rest will be good and can be reused. For example you can stick them into laser sight for your rifle and stuff like that. Those elements are even better than what you can buy at the store. :thumbs-UP:
Batteries don't catch fire? Force a charge into a dead cell and you end up exploding the cell. That's why they go fully dead when a cell goes bad. Not so great for your company if your Lithium batteries explode....just ask Dell with their 2004-2006 laptops, Samsung and the Galaxy Note 7, Lenovo Thinkpad batteries from 2006-2008, HP, Apple, Toshiba, Tesla, and many more companies.

Very few batteries have dumped EEPROMs...there is a way on T4x batteries to jump start them and possibly retrain them but I doubt it on the newer packs. Could always try it.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.