Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

The best post ThinkPad 7-row keyboard layout has ... MSI!

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

The best post ThinkPad 7-row keyboard layout has ... MSI!

#1 Post by Puppy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:57 am

Since the change to the stupid 6-row ThinkPad keyboard layout I am struggling to find a better one. I insist of having four navigation keys (Home/End/PgUp/PgDn) clustered, not split to the opposite sides of the keyboard as the current ThinkPads have. I even prefer to have these keys [Fn]-ed on cursor keys over this.

The best option nowadays is to get a 15.6" model with numeric pad and use it in non-numeric mode. Most of 14" models have no numeric pad and the keyboard layout has several annoyances:
  • Dedicated PgUp/PgDn close to cursor keys and dedicated Home/End on the top of the keyboard - that's the current 6-row ThinkPad layout I hate the most because the cluster is broken.
  • Dedicated PgUp/PgDn close to cursor keys and Home/End [Fn]-ed on these two keys - still not so comfortable.
  • No dedicated four navigation keys at all, it is all [Fn]-ed on cursor keys - better than nothing. Some models supports it as option (HP Envy, Microsoft Surface)
  • Dedicated four navgation keys located in the rightmost column, but small cursor up/down keys - almost close to ideal layout (HP Envy).
  • Dedicated four navgation keys located in the rightmost column, but power button in the top-right corner.
And now the MSI Modern 14 layout. It has dedicated four navigation keys located in the rightmost column, full size cursor up/down keys and dedicated power button off the keyboard. I really don't know why it is so complicated to bring such keyboard layout :roll:
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13