Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Corona-COVID-19 virus statistics and HOW is it affecting you.. what are you doing..?

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: Corona-COVID-19 virus statistics and HOW is it affecting you.. what are you doing..?

#31 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:19 am

Well, the genius Gov. Tom Wolf (D-PA) just shut down the vast majority of businesses tonight including laundromats.

Great. We won't die from Wuhan virus, but will be walking around in dirty clothes... :roll: :banghead: :flame:
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Corona-COVID-19 virus statistics and HOW is it affecting you.. what are you doing..?

#32 Post by MikalE » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:02 am

The last I heard from the network talking heads was a $1200 check for each person that made under $75,000 according to their 2018 tax return. It would be automatically deposited into the account they used if a refund was issued and that option for payment was used.

The rest will receive a paper check. They did not reiterate about a dependent payment, though heard at the beginning of the week, it was supposed to be $500 per child.

Payments are supposed to begin very soon, with another possible payment in May.
A31p P-IV 2Ghz, 2MB, 2653-R6U
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T520 i7QM 4242-4UU Highly Modified
T16 i7 1260P 21BV000SUS

skx
Sophomore Member

#33 Post by skx » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm

It is amazing that even people in this topic can politicize the COVID19 situation, instead of defending Trump, prepare yourself for [censored] hitting the fan in your neighbourhoods quite rapidly. sweat out the pandemic and come back writing your statements about EU's incompetence, China's totalitarian approach and Trump's glorious acts. The world will be differently shaped in 12 months, and honestly it is about time to see some change. I do not call it Chinese or Wuhan virus, for me it is clearly Darwin virus... no longer the biggest wallets will survive, but the fittest people with the best genes! Everyone still thinks this virus outbreak can be contained, it is already 3 months too late. The curtain was burning around new year's eve... today the whole building is burning beyond repair. The only reason why we have these measures in EU deployed, is just to flatten the infection curve but not one experienced virologist is convinced we can still contain the virus without a cure available in the next 2 months. The only task of each government is to manage the countries to avoid chaos, and to keep some decency while losing lots of citizens.

What is happening is unseen, soon as well in your own neighbourhoods. Nobody will escape, the virus does not need green cards or visa in our world :wink: And my own opinion, respect for china how they pulled this one off... once you are stuck in your own lockdown you will understand. Greetings from EU, came back for 2 weeks holiday and ended up being stuck for undefined period of time with Colombia closing its border for non Colombian citizens!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NJLXdsO1GBI/maxresdefault.jpg

FORUM warning:
picture(s) WAY too big, tags removed. Please read the Forum Rules, especially Section 5: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14339
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#34 Post by Puppy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:44 pm

skx wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm
The only reason why we have these measures in EU deployed, is just to flatten the infection curve but not one experienced virologist is convinced we can still contain the virus without a cure available in the next 2 months.
The only reason to flatten the curve is to prevent the health care system burden. There is a risk that countries with very high level of restrictions (like here in CZ) win the first battle now, but there won't be the collective immunity, so the second outbreak in autumn can be even worse. Nobody knows which approach is better right now in long term perspective.
skx wrote:
The only task of each government is to manage the countries to avoid chaos
And it has failed over here. Every day there is just new kind of restrictions for everyone, because a small group of people violates them. Soviet system. Today they wanted to ban discounts in supermarkets as they're running out of ideas what to ban the next time.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#35 Post by Cigarguy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:35 am

https://www.pbs.org/video/american-expe ... enza-1918/

Interesting watch. Puts a little perspective based on history. We as a species survived 100 years ago and many more before that. We'll get through this too. If ever Coronavirus and Ebola ever mate, then we're screwed.

Like 9/11, it'll be interesting to see the social and economic affect of this. More working from home? More attention to sanitation is good. More online everything and the continual death of B&M? More racism? Probably. Who knows.

Regardless be nice to one another. I'd rather die helping someone than to foxhole in fear and watch someone die. That's not living for me. Be sensible but don't give in to fear and panic.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#36 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Cigarguy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:35 am

Like 9/11, it'll be interesting to see the social and economic affect of this.
More government control.

A ton of companies using the virus as an excuse to lay people off.

Once all of this is over and the dead are buried and mourned, those left standing will be dealing with a trashed economy worldwide. It's going to be very, very ugly

Cheers,

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#37 Post by dr_st » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:28 pm

Puppy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:44 pm
skx wrote:
The only reason why we have these measures in EU deployed, is just to flatten the infection curve but not one experienced virologist is convinced we can still contain the virus without a cure available in the next 2 months.
The only reason to flatten the curve is to prevent the health care system burden.
It's a pretty good reason. It is the difference between 0.5% death rate and 5% death rate as the different regions around the world show.
Cigarguy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:35 am
Regardless be nice to one another. I'd rather die helping someone than to foxhole in fear and watch someone die. That's not living for me. Be sensible but don't give in to fear and panic.
Yes, but social distancing generally comes out as the most effective means of stopping a virus from spreading. By staying at home you are not watching someone die. You are preventing someone from dying.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

skx
Sophomore Member

#38 Post by skx » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:37 pm

agreed, it is not living in fear. i am sure I will survive covid19 infection, but when I am infected and I am not aware of it, there are 12 days incubation period without having symptoms of covid19 in which time i can infect all my family members, friends, colleagues, etc... and among these people we have plenty people with the characteristics to easily collapse by covid19 infection. if you are intelligent, you hibernate in your house, work from home, do you shopping while respecting distance, stay calm, watch a movie... and let's hope this thing will be contained in 2 months!

my thoughts are with the people living in countries without medical insurance coverage like india, half of africa, pakistan, afghanistan.... it will be humanitarian disasters already neglected today.
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

Saucey

#39 Post by Saucey » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:44 am

Reporting in from San Diego, we have people who are concerned staying at home and people who still want to get out to the beach to risk it all. With being a registered process server, I was deemed "essential" from my employer while had left off most of my coworkers out in the field, 7 people out there instead of 20. Most of the lawyers, corporate businesses, & hospitals/clinics have closed up shop and are working from home. Since court is postponed, some law offices are still sending off subpoenas and evictions to be served, the latter I'm not sure if it would even be upheld. I'm just getting paid to sit at work and work on my blog til a serve or delivery gets called.

The breweries, bar and restaurant business pretty much died out (oh woe is me), but some are offering drinks to go at discounted prices. Home improvement & auto stores look to be open, same with coffee shops and some deli's... but busy spots in downtown and other tourist traps in the cities in SD county are starting to look like a dying mall.
The food markets are hit pretty hard, aisles are being closed out, I can't get my favorite bread anymore, and some places are offering a two line system just to get in, senior citizens and then everyone else. Additionally some are offering to be open an hour early for access exclusively for senior citizens. Good thing there hasn't been any riots or an uptick in break ins, crime has dropped in this county since the outbreak. The mayor of SD had suspended parking tickets to be issued on metered parking, so free parking with no time limit is pretty nice.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

mpcook
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#40 Post by mpcook » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:08 pm

The governor of Ohio is instituting a stay at home order effective Monday midnight. He's been very aggressive with state requirements. which I believe in retrospect will be considered the best way to go.
Current: 2 x W520 ET, 2 x X220 i7, T420, X230 i5, T420s, MacbookPro, Dell Venue 11 Pro, Dell XPS 8930, X1 Yoga 3GEN
Past: IBM5150-8088 500 600E 600X T20 T21 5xT23 X30 3xX31 X32 T40 T42 3xT43 T43p SL510 T60p X60T X60s T61 2xT400 T410si T400s T500-3.06GHz X200 X201 X220i5 X220i7 2xT420s

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#41 Post by Cigarguy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:37 pm

We've been staying at home for the last 10 days. Got 2 other parents that we are safeguarding.

Before all of this I was helping about 10 seniors with basic chores around the house and mostly with language translation. As they are all over 65 I've advise them to stay at home and lock themselves in. However there are ways of helping out without physically being face to face with someone. I continue to help them pay the bills by doing it for them online or guiding them along as most of them do not have computers and most of them cannot read and write English. Whenever I can I'll order groceries/food for them. But when I can't or when I need to get medications for them I would pick it up, drop it off at their front door, ring the door bell and from my car watch them open the door and receive the package. I would disinfect everything first. I'm a project manager by trade who have done a lot of mold and environmental remediation and have been following similar protocols but adapted for this situation. Every 2 days or so I would walk around their property to check on things but most importantly to provide some assure to them as they peer at me from their window. To let them know that they are not alone and not to panic.

Fortunately for us the grocery stores here are full and people I've encountered (at a distance of course) have been nice even though you can see the fear and anxiety in their body language. I hate social distancing and it sucks being coop in the house but it is necessary. We are young and so far, healthy, and think we have it bad but there are others who are worse. I feel for them and will help as much as I can for as long as I can. I do still take long drives with a cigar by myself and enjoy a good stoogie. Cheers folks take care of one another, be sensible and don't give in to fear and panic.

skx
Sophomore Member

#42 Post by skx » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:21 pm

mpcook wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:08 pm
The governor of Ohio is instituting a stay at home order effective Monday midnight. He's been very aggressive with state requirements. which I believe in retrospect will be considered the best way to go.
it is necessary to flatten the infection curve, wise decision. take care!

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#43 Post by Puppy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:02 am

Puppy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:27 pm
Now it seems as the border will be closed (without a strong reason) for at least six months
According to the latest development it is up to two years :roll: It is something hard to believe in Europe in general. Question for people living in EU as the situation is chaotic and it is hard to find relevant information these days:

Is your country locking you inside so you are not allowed to leave it? If so, what are the conditions to lift the ban (time constraint, situation in surrounding countries etc)?

Thank you.
Last edited by Puppy on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huawei MateBook 13

Ibthink

#44 Post by Ibthink » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:34 am

Puppy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:02 am
Is your country locking you inside so you are not allowed to leave it? If so, what are the conditions to lift the ban (time constraint, situation in surrounding countries etc)?
No, there is no formal travel ban. Travel outside the country is highly discouraged though (as is internal travel) and some sections of the borders are pretty much closed, especially to the south. Basically, to cross those borders, you need a good reason (such as work, like if you work in Austria or need to cross the border as a truck driver).
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#45 Post by wujstefan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:32 pm

Well in my post-soviet-block country we have a travel ban, but anyway nobody dares to stick his nose out of their homes :D

Back to my 3D printer now. Those anti-aerosol masks are not going to print themselves!
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#46 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:22 am

The way this develops, it looks remarkably like Nevil Shute's book "On the Beach".
I read that book many years ago, but will never forget it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38180.On_the_Beach

Ireland is on lockdown until Easter (so far).
Over 70s are not supposed to leave their homes at all now.
In our estate, neighbours have set up a group of volunteers to do your shopping, talk to lonely people via phone or through the window, take your dog for a walk, whatever is needed to keep us informed.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#47 Post by ajkula66 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:34 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:22 am
The way this develops, it looks remarkably like Nevil Shute's book "On the Beach".
I read that book many years ago, but will never forget it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38180.On_the_Beach
Try Stephen King's "The Stand" for another perspective of current events... :mrgreen:
Ireland is on lockdown until Easter (so far).
Over 70s are not supposed to leave their homes at all now.
In our estate, neighbours have set up a group of volunteers to do your shopping, talk to lonely people via phone or through the window, take your dog for a walk, whatever is needed to keep us informed.
Do you get fined if you actually leave your home ?

Cheers,

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#48 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 am

As seen on Government info:
gov.ie wrote:Cocooning will be introduced for people over 70 and people who are extremely medically vulnerable to COVID-19.

Cocooning is a measure to protect people over 70 years or extremely medically vulnerable people by minimising interaction between them and others. This means that these people should not leave their homes. Even within their homes they should minimise all non-essential contact with other members of their household.
They say: should not leave their home, so I guess no fine if you do.
And also to keep your dirty mitts off your partner...

vgiozo

#49 Post by vgiozo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 pm

I hope all of you are well.

The situation in US seems to be racing right now. Around 1500 people dead in NY...darn...these should be infections that took place 2-3 weeks ago...

(Today I just received the T520 heatsink/fan I had ordered from Ebay on March 10th...the Seller is in Ozone Park NY...package even went through Emilia-Romagna Province in Italy on March 26th to get to Greece ...had the courier drop the package in a bag, folded it up and won't open it for at least 2 weeks, since it's not essential...)

Silly how I had planned, after my work-contract expired in mid-February, to travel around the Balkans for a while...now I see the huge distress of travelers and van-lifers around the world trying to get back home as the border-closure prohibited movement/crossings and left them stranded (in South America, Africa etc).
...hopefully some "rescue flights" have been organized by Canada and heard of such plans by other countries e.g. UK.

Sweden, Netherlands seem to be following a different route...I hope it works for them...I have an acquaintance in Sweden, a doctor, who argues that the healthcare system there is not what it used to be a couple decades back; he's not at all confident it will stand up to the burden of the epidemic, to minimize deaths...

Some other countries as well, not just the US, with different political orientations, are still worrying more about their economy short-term to start taking serious measures...e.g. a report I saw from Mexico really troubled me...they seem to be trying to lift the population's spirits, but when [censored] hits the fan, I believe the push-back will be too hard to handle...

Southern Italy, where "black market" makes a significant part of the economy, trouble is already brewing, with poor people unable to pay at the supermarkets, resorting to stealing...

Still the most vulnerable are the homeless people, who have no "safe place", nowhere to "cocoon"...as much a privilege as ever...

Also saw some videos from India, where poor hand-to-mouth working people are leaving the big cities en masse by foot (transportation shut down) to get to their villages, even hundreds of kilometers away, with their families, while getting little assistance...
In South Africa, the slums are equally or more disheartening...people are forced to live so close together in tight spaces, lockdown makes no sense there, better if they were to sleep in the open...

How ironic, early in the year I was reading a book about medieval europe and the economic, social and demographic transformation that followed the plague outbreak...desperate times ahead of us, before it gets any better.
T520 4243-AF5 (R9-KKBG3), HD+ 1600*900, i5 2520m, 2*8GB DDR3L 1333, Plextor mSATA, 2*500GB HDD (caddy), no eSATA, 4*USB 2,0, no modem

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#50 Post by Puppy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:02 pm

As usually, the government is doing more damage than the virus itself over here. Their totalitarian tendencies are clear, our Prime Minister wants to become a second Orban with unlimited power and control over the people. There was an attempt to push a draft law to give the full power to the Prime Minister over the Parliament in case of an 'urgent situations'.

BTW A web site that summarizes all the measures https://oecd.github.io/OECD-covid-action-map/
Huawei MateBook 13

Omineca
Sophomore Member

#51 Post by Omineca » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:57 pm

I'm in BC, Canada. The government here -- and the doctor leading the public health response -- seem to be handling the situation very professionally and the curve appears to be flattening out. But we'll see if that's really the case over the long term. I hope so.

I've been out a couple of times in the last two weeks. There are still more people out than I would have expected, though it isn't busy.

My wife works in a care home and so she continues to go to work daily. I hope for her sake that the virus bypasses the facility. I can't imagine the stress of dealing with an outbreak in one of those places.

Otherwise, I'm working from home. I was already set up fairly well for that, so it's not difficult, though I'm going a little bit stir crazy. I do get outside to do yardwork, which is good. It would probably be a good idea to have a Skype 'pub night' with some of my work friends. It's been too long already.
Home: L440 | R500 | X120e Server
Work: ThinkPad Yoga 260 | Dell Latitude 5320

skx
Sophomore Member

#52 Post by skx » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:28 am

vgiozo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 pm
but how is Greece doing by the way? it barely gets coverage in the european news. I worked in Greece in 2016 - we had projects on the islands like lesvos to assist the refugees at that time. all these hotspots should still exist today, I cannot believe covid19 is contained in Greece, I would expect scenarios outnumbering Spain and Italy together. I hope I am mistaken but I fear not...

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#53 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:19 am

skx wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:28 am

I worked in Greece in 2016 - we had projects on the islands like lesvos to assist the refugees at that time. all these hotspots should still exist today, I cannot believe covid19 is contained in Greece, I would expect scenarios outnumbering Spain and Italy together. I hope I am mistaken but I fear not...
So you actively helped in bringing one kind of the plague to a foreign country but now you're worried about a different kind of plague ? :roll: :BAAAD!: :roll:

Cheers,

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#54 Post by pianowizard » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:59 pm

In spite of the statewide lockdown, today I sold my Monoprice 10734 monitor (30" 2560x1600) via Craigslist. I wore gloves, a mask, and even lab safety glasses, and the buyer agreed to do the same. During the entire transaction we maintained a distance of at least 6 feet, and I asked the buyer to put the cash into a plastic bag so I could avoid touching the money directly. We need to practice safe selling!

I had a thread about this very special Monoprice monitor: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=122126

I still have the QNIX 24" 2560x1440 monitor mentioned in that thread.
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

skx
Sophomore Member

#55 Post by skx » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:30 pm

pianowizard wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:59 pm
In spite of the statewide lockdown, today I sold my Monoprice 10734 monitor (30" 2560x1600) via Craigslist. I wore gloves, a mask, and even lab safety glasses, and the buyer agreed to do the same. During the entire transaction we maintained a distance of at least 6 feet, and I asked the buyer to put the cash into a plastic bag so I could avoid touching the money directly. We need to practice safe selling!

I had a thread about this very special Monoprice monitor: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=122126

I still have the QNIX 24" 2560x1440 monitor mentioned in that thread.
ok- do not become too paranoia as well please :mrgreen: first of all, we will all contract covid19 sooner or later, get mentally already prepared. lockdowns are not to avoid being infected, it is just to make sure we do not all get infected at the same time. secondly, you can perfectly sell your monitor, keep your distance, receive even the cash without plastic bag. go home, drop the cash somewhere for 3 days if you really want to play 200% on safety, wash your hands and move on... but sooner or later, even with all these measures, you will have covid19; I do not want to be a party pooper

Brian10161

#56 Post by Brian10161 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:26 pm

I live a fairly introverted lifestyle, I try to stay at home as much as possible. Really only go out to goto work or pick up materials for projects at home or food. This outbreak wasn't too much on my mind for a while, but when the Ontario Government came out and initiated the lockdown, it became more of a big deal here. The healthcare system here isn't the best, but it's pretty decent overall. But I understand the idea behind not overwhelming it, I'm a relatively healthy 30 year old, so I hope the virus won't kill me or my family. I fear more so for my parent's and in-laws.

I haven't been able to stop working though, I'm part of the essential workers list being a refrigeration mechanic. I'm not happy with it, but people still need climate control. I figure it's a matter of time before my company lays me off however, most of the customer's buildings I work in are closed down now. Luckily I have a major project on the go right now in a vacant building, so I'm able to keep my distance from people.

The way I see it, maybe 1 to 2 years before things get back to normal. I just hope the swing set arrives soon for my kid! She's going nuts stuck inside with no friends!
Thinkpad E14 : R7-5700U : 16GB : 1tb

vgiozo

#57 Post by vgiozo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:18 pm

skx wrote:
vgiozo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 pm
but how is Greece doing by the way? it barely gets coverage in the european news. I worked in Greece in 2016 - we had projects on the islands like lesvos to assist the refugees at that time. all these hotspots should still exist today, I cannot believe covid19 is contained in Greece, I would expect scenarios outnumbering Spain and Italy together. I hope I am mistaken but I fear not...
It's doing quite well. Deaths have been kept under 100, recorded cases around 2.000 so far.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/greece/

We did take measures fairly early; this was mainly due to the quickly escalated situation in Italy (fashion week and s.hit), which really scared people here...it hit too close to home to ignore...
...actually the first cases were:
- People returning from Italy
- Tourist group returning from Israel-Egypt.
These people spread the virus and got several doctors quarantined.
- then people returning from the UK (both greek students and greek workers formerly living full-time in the UK) where lack of early measures led to lots of people getting infected and people being fearful of how they'd fair if infected while in the UK.
(no kidding, people with good, high-paying jobs left the UK, cause they felt safer in Greece, due to limits on movement being placed early).

Actually COVID19 has just started spreading to migrant-camps in mainland Greece, since most where already here for some time before the outbreak...so they were not a source of infections, but the complete inability to maintain social-distancing given the awful overcrowding, AND the complete lack of means AND migrants reacting to simple measures (control of who lives the camp etc) is surely a ticking time-bomb...

So we have the benefit of early measures, but apart from this the situation is more media managed than properly managed.

Whereas other countries are flooded with incidents, thus PPE get depleted, here we have shortages without heavy burden and a severe lack of personnel to take care of current COVID19 cases, people get moved around from other posts leaving "regular" serious patients and hospitals, as well as first-level healthcare to the mercy of god.

And it's not an actual lack of resources per se, more the result of private/public sector management, a distinctive mark of peripheral countries, quasi protectorates.

In this particular circumstance this exemplified in the following way:
1) Because several public hospitals have been converted into Covid19 clinics, the government needed to lease extra beds from the private hospitals clinics...whereas the cost used to be 800 EUR a day, this govt signed an agreement for 1.600 EUR / per day / per bed...
...the "excuse" was that due to many people being transferred to private clinics, their schedule of operations was upset and they were losing money...but that was not true...

In fact people here are now terrified of going to a public hospital and fear they might get infected while on some regular visit...so people are actually massively turning towards private hospitals for both severe and non-sever incidents.
...in fact public health doctors are reporting that visits of patients for heart-disease etc has been decreased up to 80%.

And while govt is paying every private-clinic bed in "gold", absolutely no COVID-19 cases have been referred/transferred to private clinics, even at the expense of the more prestigious and valued public hospital departments (mostly related to cancer treatment, heart / blood/diabetes clinics etc)
...if they were to transfer COVID19 infected persons to private clinics, people would stop showing up there for fear of being infected...and this would not be good for private business...

2) While you have to be on the edge of death to be tested for COVID19 and receive healthcare in public hospitals (or be close contact of a verified carrier), supposedly due to the severe lack of available PCR tests in the market, private laboratories/clinics seem to have too many to go around.
A close friend paid to get tested 3 times in 2 weeks (in 2 different labs), because he had light fever (37,1 - 37,4 C) and was worried he might have it, even if he had absolutely no other symptoms during those 2 weeks...he just wanted to feel safe.
In my city, Thessaloniki, there are 2 clinics that I know who do around 5-10 PCR tests a day each for a cost of 120 - 190EUR (earlier it was around 300 EUR per test, cause they forced people to get tested for influenza etc, even if that was not needed, which did turn people away and private clinics retracted the policy).

So you have people not being tested, leaving their families tackle hygiene and healthcare, thus risking greater contagion in the populace, and many are almost dying in their homes cause they can't get healthcare, (mostly being transferred to hospitals very late in the progression of the illness, since EODY - the national healthcare organization - is explicitly turning people away or discouraging them from seeking care..just quarantine it says...thus the statistics of deaths in relation to people accepted to ICUs are awfully discouraging despite the very low number of cases)
Since
- less than half of COVID-19 only ICUs are being used, there is no justification for it, other than purposefully pushing people towards looking for private testing, which also does not get accounted in national statistics...and people who do get it don't want to be included in the official "quarantine" list, which the police supposedly checks on (but doesn't).

3) Media announces the arrival of big loads of medical supplies and antibody tests for COVID19, and the govt refuses to use them, while they find their way in pharmacies for people willing to pay 300 EUR to get their hands on 10 antibody tests...supposedly they only sell to doctors, but not really.
I guess private business needs to overcharge and make a profit before public healthcare is allowed a piece.

I believe the next 40 days, between unreported infections at home and covid19 starting to spread in migrant-camps, will be critical...
T520 4243-AF5 (R9-KKBG3), HD+ 1600*900, i5 2520m, 2*8GB DDR3L 1333, Plextor mSATA, 2*500GB HDD (caddy), no eSATA, 4*USB 2,0, no modem

skx
Sophomore Member

#58 Post by skx » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:47 pm

vgiozo wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:18 pm
skx wrote:

It's doing quite well. Deaths have been kept under 100, recorded cases around 2.000 so far.

//CUT

I believe the next 40 days, between unreported infections at home and covid19 starting to spread in migrant-camps, will be critical...
Wow, thanks vigozo for your detailed post, highly appreciated :wink: Let's see how it progresses, I think the next 40 days will be critical for all EU countries.But happy to hear Greece is still managing, which from my point of view is quite impressive!

28CarsLater
Freshman Member

#59 Post by 28CarsLater » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:28 am

I work for a major PA health network, I heard from my boss the brass are "talking about" opening back up. CA Gov Newsom announced plans last night to develop a "framework" to re-open and our fearless Gov Wolf was said to be in talks with other east coast gov's to do the same. If the hospital network brass are talking about it, it is safe to assume someone up there has been in communication with Harrisburg because I have no doubt because we are a hospital system they could shut us back down if they didn't like it. May be light at the end of the tunnel?
Thinkpads: X395, X301, X230, W530, W701 "Astra"
Dell: Precision 5520 Xeon "LucieX"

rjsrjs

#60 Post by rjsrjs » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:42 pm

The reality is, that I will not be going to any restaurants, Disney, Amusement Parks, Parks ETC. Only to buy food when needed at night, if grocery stores are open, till a proven vaccine for covid-19 is out there to be distributed. Now that's the real reality.