Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Corona-COVID-19 virus statistics and HOW is it affecting you.. what are you doing..?

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Corona-COVID-19 virus statistics and HOW is it affecting you.. what are you doing..?

#1 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:13 am

For those of you who haven't yet seen this, here is: the most accurate Corona-COVID-19 overview.
It is continuously updated, based on figures from the Johns Hopkins hospital and others.

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Corona-COVID-19 virus statistics

#2 Post by wujstefan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Yeah, global-wise it's most up-to-date.
The situation is getting serious btw...
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

exTPfan

#3 Post by exTPfan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:09 pm

In most countries, it's doubling every 3 days, so up by a factor of 1000 in a month.
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus
Work: T60/61 FPad (Win 7, UXGA IPS); T60/61 FPad (Win 7, UXGA IPS); forever.
Toys: X1 (first gen, Win 7); T450s (Win 7).

UMPC2024

#4 Post by UMPC2024 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:55 pm

Thanks for the resources. Hope everyone is well!

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: Corona-COVID-19 virus statistics and HOW is it affecting you.. what are you doing..?

#5 Post by BillMorrow » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:13 am

with apologies to RBS :roll:
i'm going to hijack this thread..
i WAS going to start a new thread BUT RBS started this one, SO:
i'll add a question: HOW is this pandemic, the wuhan covid19 virus, affecting you and those around you..?

SO, since i am 82.9 years of age, in fairly good health, exercising by bike riding daily, i hope to survive and MAYBE not get this..
in early feb when it started in the news i told the wife "lets just stock up on what we usually get that keeps well" but she, being a retired nurse just said don't get hysterical and continued to go out among other people without a care.. NOW, maybe, she has finally got the message since her gym is half empty, the local kroger was mobbed last time she went and the news is NOT GOOD..
perhaps i'm a little safer from HER contracting this virus.. :)
otherwise, so far, since we do NOT live in an urban area but rather among dairy farms and gated communities and scattered homes in the woods, we don't see much of this lockdown..
as long as the grid stays up and the publix and kroger trucks deliver locally we're good..

stay safe, practice social distancing and let us all hope this thing gets better, faster.. :)
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Corona-COVID-19 virus statistics and HOW is it affecting you.. what are you doing..?

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:37 am

Apologies accepted, Bill, no problem.
I'm not far off from you, I'll be 75 by the end of this month.

We were actively house-hunting in the country (away from cities), but that will have to wait now...
After we sold up in USA, we kept the money in the bank and (against bank-advice) did not invest it temporarily.
Just as well, considering how far the stock market has plummeted.

We currently live in a suburb of Dublin, that has gone very quiet now.
The nearby school is closed (as are all other schools, creches, etc. in the country).
Many people, who used to daily park nearby to get onto the LUAS tram (the stop is only 200 meters from our house), have disappeared.
From the row of 9 local shops nearby, only Costcutters (small mini-market) and the bookies (!!!) are open.
Paddy's day did not happen, and all pubs were already closed a day before the parade. What fun!
Lucky for us, our neighbour is a manager in a big supermarket and she brings stuff over if and when needed.
Saves us having to go out for essentials ourselves, God bless her!
We used to live in the boondocks of rural Pennsylvania, and living there is not far off from living in self-isolation, so we have plenty of practice...
Our kids live abroad (1 in USA, 1 in Switzerland), so any personal contact will be impossible until further notice.

Let's hope we can all avoid catching this menace.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by dr_st » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:26 am

This is the best analysis I've read so far:
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca

In Israel right now it's not quite a total lockdown, but all non-essential recreational activities are suspended, public sector is working in emergency mode, private sector in greatly reduced mode (mostly the essential industries). People who can work from home are strongly encouraged to do so, and citizens are requested to exercise extreme social distancing and stay at home.

Seems like the right decision, but two questions are whether it started early enough and whether the people will respect it enough. This will determine if in the end we go the way of Singapore / China or the way of Italy.

Personally, I stay home, work from home, and order my groceries online.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

mpcook
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by mpcook » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:55 am

I live in Ohio and some think our Governor was overreacting by precipitously closing schools, restaurants, bars, and voting initially, but I am sure in the long run it will be seen as giving us a health advantage over virus spread. I teach (in classroom up until now) at the University of Cincinnati and a little over a week ago, we moved to 100% online teaching. I am happy about that. I'd much rather be working with groups of students face to face giving them the intense assistance and feedback that helps them learn effectively. However, at going on 70, I have no interest right now interacting with a gaggle of students, some of who are instagramming their cavorting on the Florida beaches for Spring Break.
Current: 2 x W520 ET, 2 x X220 i7, T420, X230 i5, T420s, MacbookPro, Dell Venue 11 Pro, Dell XPS 8930, X1 Yoga 3GEN
Past: IBM5150-8088 500 600E 600X T20 T21 5xT23 X30 3xX31 X32 T40 T42 3xT43 T43p SL510 T60p X60T X60s T61 2xT400 T410si T400s T500-3.06GHz X200 X201 X220i5 X220i7 2xT420s

Tasurinchi

#9 Post by Tasurinchi » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:59 am

Here in Switzerland we have a lockdown as well. Only supermarkets, pharmacies, banks, post services and public transport is open.

All the rest (schools, universities, shops, gyms, et all) are closed. Offices are closed and we're required to work from home. Since I have an IT related job I can do home office with little impact on my current projects. But we're requested to move as little as possible.

The government expect a peak of cases in the next two weeks :roll:

We'll see how it develops, stay safe guys!
IBM Convertible 5140/L40SX/220/240/240X/2*340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/2*570/2*600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E
A20p/A22p/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/2*T22/4*T4x/11*T6x/6*T40x/6*T5x0/3*W5x0/W700/3*X2x/4*X3x/3*X4x/5*X6x/3*X6xT/12*X2xx/4*X30x/Z60m/3*Z61x

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by theterminator93 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:05 am

I am also in Ohio, and work in the K12 IT industry. The announcement of the closure was anticipated by us but it was still a scramble for us to accommodate. It's all in an effort to try and "tamp down the peak" of number of cases to ensure there are medical resources available for that time when it occurs. It's not a popular decision, but I'm convinced it's the right one.

In the days since, the restrictions have increased. No restaurants, bars, large gatherings of any kind like others have stated. Fortunately the total lockdown has escaped us so far, but it may yet be forthcoming. Stay healthy everyone!
T480 with T25 keyboard | T25 | W520 i7-2860QM·Quadro 2000m·IPS FHD | T601F T9900·NVS 140m·LED AFFS UXGA
T420 IPS FHD | X220 IPS FHD | T61p·T61·43·42p|X13 Yoga G3·220T·301·41T·24·23·22|G41|A31p·22m|i1200|TransNote
600|770Z|770|760XD|760EL|701C|755C

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#11 Post by MikalE » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:14 am

Other than local idiots hoarding toilet paper, there's no difference here.

A31p P-IV 2Ghz, 2MB, 2653-R6U
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T520 i7QM 4242-4UU Highly Modified
T16 i7 1260P 21BV000SUS

vgiozo

#12 Post by vgiozo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:42 pm

I use this website as my daily updated source on the coronavirus pandemic
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Here in Greece people have started to take the issue seriously during the last week, at least in bigger cities...regarding preventive measures, initially malls, big shops, universities, schools were closed, but now all individual stores and businesses apart from those providing health/food/courier/mechanic services...
Since today gatherings of more than 10 people incur a 1000 EUR fine...penal code has been updated to include prison terms and hefty fees for people who break quarantine and infect others.

Places of worship were shut down...kinda...it was ridiculous how the govt dealt with the issue of communion/common cup, from refuting altogether that the virus could be transmitted via the "body/blood" of Christ (Eastern Orthodox Church) to avoiding taking a stance, but rather advising people - qualified even by people with serious health issues and of old age - to abstain.
Church still open for "individual prayer", but this not extended to mosques etc.

Infection has spread mainly from imported infection-cases from Italy and Israel, thus centered mostly around cities/towns where the specific people reside...totally irresponsible behaviours have resulted in lots of medical personnel being infected as well.
Thus in bigger cities people take more and more care, while in villages around Greece many people often behave like nothing has happened, really....but this will change as college students in EU/UK start returning home...

Although not the prevention-early measures type of country, Greece was really taken aback by the seemingly uncontrollable spread of the virus in neighboring Italy...so legislation was put in place rather quickly, overall.
...the reason is that Italy has much higher ratio of population/Intensive Care Units than Greece...here it's ridiculously low...if things do get out of hand, we're bound to overtake Italy.

The UK example is an interesting one, hope it works out...not against variation/plurality there...although the main EU example makes more sense to me, more cautious.

But, it's ironic how things work out...you try to protect yourself from big outside threats and risks and other issues pop-up unexpectedly.

Since my job-contract ended mid-February, and due to shops/businesses closing didn't leave much hope for employment, I decided I should takeup gaming after 10+ years.
...within a period of 10 days a played Assassin's Creed for about 6 days, 2-3 hours each time...

I wasnt' cautious about body stance and best practices when spending too much time sitting, so I was hit with thromvosis (vain clot) in the left leg...now I have 20 days of injecting special medicine in the belly area (each day), I have to take a thromvo-philia test (clot-friendly blood test) and followup with ultra-sound tests to see if this has spread to other areas.

Sucks big time.

Worst time to be visiting hospitals as well...
T520 4243-AF5 (R9-KKBG3), HD+ 1600*900, i5 2520m, 2*8GB DDR3L 1333, Plextor mSATA, 2*500GB HDD (caddy), no eSATA, 4*USB 2,0, no modem

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#13 Post by Puppy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:46 pm

It is the same here in CZ like in other european countries here, with one exception. The restrictions are similar, additionally we aren't allowed to leave the country. Nobody has ever explained the reason.

Is there any other EU country (I know about Bulgaria) that has imposed similar restriction? Given our history, my generation is very sensitive to have the borders closed the out direction. It is unknown when this ban is going to be lifted as current government is apparently having totalitarian tendencies (independent journalists excluded from press conferences etc) and seems to love such restrictions, while they're incapable to handle basic things like testing. The number of cases (522) is completely distorted as there is very low number of people being tested. We believe it is at least 10 times more.

I am still not sure which strategy (the EU or UK one) is the better one. Extreme cutting the number of cases down now can lead to a second epidemy in the autumn, that can be even worse.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#14 Post by BillMorrow » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:39 pm

Puppy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:46 pm
It is the same here in CZ like in other european countries here, with one exception. The restrictions are similar, additionally we aren't allowed to leave the country. Nobody has ever explained the reason.

Is there any other EU country (I know about Bulgaria) that has imposed similar restriction? Given our history, my generation is very sensitive to have the borders closed the out direction. It is unknown when this ban is going to be lifted as current government is apparently having totalitarian tendencies (independent journalists excluded from press conferences etc) and seems to love such restrictions, while they're incapable to handle basic things like testing. The number of cases (522) is completely distorted as there is very low number of people being tested. We believe it is at least 10 times more.

I am still not sure which strategy (the EU or UK one) is the better one. Extreme cutting the number of cases down now can lead to a second epidemy in the autumn, that can be even worse.
people like putin and our democrat party members here in the USA will not let any crisis go past without gaining some more control over those who they are supposed to be serving..
re. the virus reappearing in the fall, there has been some news here, today, that some other already available drugs might be showing promise in prevention and or cure.. drugs for ebola and aids, i think.. also using plasma (anti-bodies) from already cured patients..

EDIT: here, today, wife went to the local publix supermarket.. meat and chicken all gone.. no paper products.. crowd was there at 8AM and cleaned the place out.. BIG place so must have been a BIG crowd.. got me 8 wonderful grapefruits.. no limes..
i drove my 1970 cadillac eldorado (my 2nd such antique car) to town for windshield wiper blades.. the guys at the auto parts place put them on for me and it was cheaper than amazon.. the notable part of all that was i passed 2 gas stations and regular gas was $1.99/gallon..! when i gassed up that same eldorado on monday, premium gas was $2.45/gallon.. :)

~~~Mark Twain~~~

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#15 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:52 pm

Puppy wrote:
Yeah that one would have me freaking out as well.
BillMorrow wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:39 pm
EDIT: here, today, wife went to the local publix supermarket.. meat and chicken all gone.. no paper products.. crowd was there at 8AM and cleaned the place out.. BIG place so must have been a BIG crowd.. got me 8 wonderful grapefruits.. no limes..
It's been that way up here for the past few days. The masses are showing their stupidity.
i drove my 1970 cadillac eldorado (my 2nd such antique car) to town for windshield wiper blades.. the guys at the auto parts place put them on for me and it was cheaper than amazon.. the notable part of all that was i passed 2 gas stations and regular gas was $1.99/gallon..! when i gassed up that same eldorado on monday, premium gas was $2.45/gallon.. :)
A 1970 Eldorado... :thumbs-UP: :thumbs-UP: :thumbs-UP:
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#16 Post by BillMorrow » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:55 pm

vgiozo wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:42 pm
Places of worship were shut down...kinda...it was ridiculous how the govt dealt with the issue of communion/common cup, from refuting altogether that the virus could be transmitted via the "body/blood" of Christ (Eastern Orthodox Church) to avoiding taking a stance, but rather advising people - qualified even by people with serious health issues and of old age - to abstain.
Church still open for "individual prayer", but this not extended to mosques etc.
wife said catholic churches are doing confessions on a drive up basis.. drive up, get forgiven, drive away.. :)

But, it's ironic how things work out...you try to protect yourself from big outside threats and risks and other issues pop-up unexpectedly.

Since my job-contract ended mid-February, and due to shops/businesses closing didn't leave much hope for employment, I decided I should takeup gaming after 10+ years.
...within a period of 10 days a played Assassin's Creed for about 6 days, 2-3 hours each time...

I wasnt' cautious about body stance and best practices when spending too much time sitting, so I was hit with thromvosis (vain clot) in the left leg...now I have 20 days of injecting special medicine in the belly area (each day), I have to take a thromvo-philia test (clot-friendly blood test) and followup with ultra-sound tests to see if this has spread to other areas.

Sucks big time.

wife (retired nurse) says that shot (probably heparin) is "sub-Q" and it can be done at home and maybe you can administer the shots yourself..
not sure i would be that brave..

so, good luck..

another edit:
i shoulda added that i have about 20 cases of toilet paper (maybe 30!).. i started a regular amazon delivery of a couple of cases a month when obama was out saying the USA was in decline and he would manage the decline.. did not stop it for a few years so if you want some just ask.. :)

~~~Mark Twain~~~

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#17 Post by Puppy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:27 pm

ajkula66 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:52 pm
Yeah that one would have me freaking out as well.
It is actually more than that. Most of my friends lives abroad (Germany, Poland) and I am used to meet/visit them approximately once per month. Now it seems as the border will be closed (without a strong reason) for at least six months and then shortly opened and closed in the autumn again, if the virus is reappearing. I really fell like in the old communist era, where friends and families were split to the west and east by the iron curtain. It is hard to believe something like that could happen in Europe 2020 again :( Note that there is no ban from the German side of the border that makes all the situation awkward. EU has no control over it. If these totalitarian tendencies are going to continue, I'll strongly consider to get a German citizenship as I can no longer trust the democratic development of my country :(
Huawei MateBook 13

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#18 Post by ajkula66 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:35 pm

Puppy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:27 pm
It is hard to believe something like that could happen in Europe 2020 again :(
Why ? Those in charge have sold their soul to Euro Soviet, but have not forgotten the original Soviet methods. Perfect storm.
If these totalitarian tendencis are going to continue, I'll strongly consider to get a German citizenship as I can no longer trust the democratic development of my country :(
You may want to move to Mars if you're looking for democracy...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#19 Post by Puppy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:42 pm

ajkula66 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:35 pm
Why ? Those in charge have sold their soul to Euro Soviet, but have not forgotten the original Soviet methods. Perfect storm.
You nailed it. The leader is actually a former officer of the communist secret police force (something like the Stasi in DDR) so he knows his methods. But at least 30% of people adore him.
ajkula66 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:35 pm
You may want to move to Mars if you're looking for democracy...
Basicaly I am looing for to be with people I like. As usually, you'll find the importance when you lose it.
Huawei MateBook 13

vgiozo

#20 Post by vgiozo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:44 pm

Puppy wrote:

Cutting down the number of registered cases is the result, not so much the goal itself of
- the money/time-wise costly character of these examinations, at least until the "rapid-test" sets become widely available (supposedly within the next 30 days approximately)
- the fact that because you're not being detected as infected today, doesn't mean you won't be sick in 3 days (how many times should you get the test done?)
- trying to not overburden the healthcare system with perhaps unnecessary testing, prioritizing the actual serious cases, where symptoms can't be ignored or mixed up with other illnesses
AND is paired the "social-distancing" / lockdown / quarantine measures which are meant to reduce the rate of contagion...the famous "flatten the curve" policy...

Many countries have limited inbound travel...not sure about Germany, yet, but it all things point in this direction.

I wouldn't be surprised if this policy was implemented at the behest of countries which may often receive Czech workers, e.g. Germany...such pressure was put on countries in the Balkan corridor to close their borders for refugees, whose final destination was Germany, not the country of transit.

There has been top-level EU talk about how to deal with the coronavirus, everyone seems to be following the same path, differences explicable by the actual rate of contagion and the fatality rate.
BillMorrow wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:39 pm
people like putin and our democrat party members here in the USA will not let any crisis go past without gaining some more control over those who they are supposed to be serving..
re. the virus reappearing in the fall, there has been some news here, today, that some other already available drugs might be showing promise in prevention and or cure.. drugs for ebola and aids, i think.. also using plasma (anti-bodies) from already cured patients..
Intereferon is being tested by China/Cuba
Remdesivir is being tested by USA

I also read some headlines about progress taking place in Australia with regard to a vaccine...

I read about the coronavirus bill in the US,
- allowing for full-salary paid-leave of 2 weeks if sick and 2/3 of the salary if caring for children or sick family members...further 10 weeks of paid-leave at 2/3 salary are possible...it applies to small businesses under 500 employees, which can seek tax-credit.
...small businesses under 50 employees can be exempt if they risk going under...and the self-employed can also claim refundable tax credits...
- It also covers the cost of extending unemployment benefits for extra 6 months in states where unemployment rises above 10%; it offers free-interest loans...and it incentivizes businesses not to lay-off workers by reducing their working hours, and the workers being compensated via unemployment benefits.
- It increases food-aid assistance to low-income households
- and it increases funding for Medicaid.

This is all strictly coronavirus related, not a permanent paid-leave programme.

I don't see how this extends control over those who they're supposed to be serving, as you say...Don't employees want paid-leave when sick? Are you referring to something else?
T520 4243-AF5 (R9-KKBG3), HD+ 1600*900, i5 2520m, 2*8GB DDR3L 1333, Plextor mSATA, 2*500GB HDD (caddy), no eSATA, 4*USB 2,0, no modem

vgiozo

#21 Post by vgiozo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:55 pm

BillMorrow wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:55 pm
vgiozo wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Sucks big time.

wife said catholic churches are doing confessions on a drive up basis.. drive up, get forgiven, drive away.. :)

wife (retired nurse) says that shot (probably heparin) is "sub-Q" and it can be done at home and maybe you can administer the shots yourself..
not sure i would be that brave..

so, good luck..

another edit:
i shoulda added that i have about 20 cases of toilet paper (maybe 30!).. i started a regular amazon delivery of a couple of cases a month when obama was out saying the USA was in decline and he would manage the decline.. did not stop it for a few years so if you want some just ask.. :)
I can administer the shots myself...it's quite easy, actually

The problem is that ALCOHOL - to clean the skin before taking the shot - IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND...I often roam the city trying to find a shop, supermarket or pharmacy, in the country's second largest city that sells alcohol and disinfectant gel and can't find none...we're out and can't find none...
...we barely find 2-3 masks every other day, just enough to use when going shopping...

The pharmacy where I purchased the shots are kind enough to administer the shots for free, when I visit.

A family in our apartment building (the apartment just below us) seems to be in quarantine as well, we dread taking the elevator, cause the @ssholes seem to get out daily for groceries (and the elevator is real tiny, for 2 people stuck together...get food delivered you jerks...even so, however, they have to get the elevator to get them, cause delivery stops at the building entrance...so we are properly f2#$*ed.

I am not worried about myself, but I am caring for my elderly parents (in the early 80s now) who have health issues that would not let them survive the virus if infected....car is broken and cant drive to our village, where social-distancing is much easier...we'd still have to get the ship to get there, and if you've ever been to a ship from Piraeus to the greek islands, you know that being there (actually the process of entering and exiting) would be an epidemic party...

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#22 Post by Cigarguy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Most of the world's population is staying home. Fear, panic (irrational for some). No sports, can't go out, can't do anything but breed. Hmmm....might be a good time to stock up on diapers and baby supplies. Might be a huge baby boom in 10-11 months time.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#23 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:26 am

If it weren't so tragically true, that's what they call "spring cleaning": OUT with the old, IN with the new.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#24 Post by Puppy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:35 am

Europe Has Been the Greatest Disappointment in This Crisis
https://www.spiegel.de/international/eu ... 48861a4e86

Rather than a concerted effort to cordon off and provide support for the hardest-hit clusters of infections, arbitrary border closures have taken place that no longer even have any effect considering the virus has long since arrived in all countries. Instead, there has been a devastating and rampant symbolic destruction of trust.
Huawei MateBook 13

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#25 Post by MikalE » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:23 am

Cigarguy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:56 pm
Most of the world's population is staying home. Fear, panic (irrational for some). No sports, can't go out, can't do anything but breed. Hmmm....might be a good time to stock up on diapers and baby supplies. Might be a huge baby boom in 10-11 months time.
Yeah, they'll be called 'Coronials'
A31p P-IV 2Ghz, 2MB, 2653-R6U
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T520 i7QM 4242-4UU Highly Modified
T16 i7 1260P 21BV000SUS

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#26 Post by Cigarguy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:39 am

:lol:

mpcook
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#27 Post by mpcook » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 am

Just kick back and drink a quarantini (olive optional).
Current: 2 x W520 ET, 2 x X220 i7, T420, X230 i5, T420s, MacbookPro, Dell Venue 11 Pro, Dell XPS 8930, X1 Yoga 3GEN
Past: IBM5150-8088 500 600E 600X T20 T21 5xT23 X30 3xX31 X32 T40 T42 3xT43 T43p SL510 T60p X60T X60s T61 2xT400 T410si T400s T500-3.06GHz X200 X201 X220i5 X220i7 2xT420s

ZaZ

#28 Post by ZaZ » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:59 pm

The business where I work is shut down until the end of the month, but fortunately with pay. To count my blessings, I can afford to hang out for a while, but am concerned about my family, friends and co-workers who have rent, mortgages and car payments to make. We''ll be OK in the short term, but we'll see how long this lasts. I'm hoping for speedy recovery.
ThinkPad L14 - 2.1GHz Ryzen 4650U | 16GB | 256GB | 14" FHD | Win11P
ProBook 470 G5 - 1.6GHz Core i5 | 16GB | 2.2TB | 17" FHD | Mint

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#29 Post by BillMorrow » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:54 am

Puppy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:35 am
Europe Has Been the Greatest Disappointment in This Crisis
https://www.spiegel.de/international/eu ... 48861a4e86

Rather than a concerted effort to cordon off and provide support for the hardest-hit clusters of infections, arbitrary border closures have taken place that no longer even have any effect considering the virus has long since arrived in all countries. Instead, there has been a devastating and rampant symbolic destruction of trust.
read part of the der spiegel article..
it said, in part, and after this part it was sort of descending yet another anti trump bashing with boris tossed in just to give it some tiny bit of credibility:
It was a given that the American president, the British prime minister and the usual suspects would get tangled up in their statements and proffer up nutty plans they would soon abandon, all the while putting people's lives at risk for obviously cynical short-term political gains.
what BS, what cr@p..
the germans and the globalist one world government will hate trump and the American recovery and resurgence until grass no longer grows and wind no longer blows..
trump stopped all flights from china jan 31.. which, according to some harvard? study saved thousands of American lives.. thousands.. h#ll, even the calif and NY governors are praising trumps efforts and co-operation..
meanwhile, china has started a dis-information and propaganda campaign blaming the USA for starting the whole wuhan virus thing while hush hushing ANY reporting about how they hid it for the first month.. AND china is demanding the name be changed to something NOT racist like "wuhan virus" or chinese virus.. covid19 is ok, i guess but turns custom on its head..

from above, my remark of not letting any crisis go to waste i meant no autocrat will miss the opportunity to blame America and further increase their autocratic power over their populations..

as for closing borders, it should have been done immediately.. like trump did on 31-jan and now has done almost 100%..
i don't feel any fear of rising power of the US fed gov but you guys in shaky democratic republics might do..
i don't know, i have always lived in America so have no idea what it is like in a former soviet 'republic'.. :)

here we now call it "social distancing".. i cancelled 2 appointments today (cleaning lady's bi-weekly hose cleaning (wife did it better and cost zero) but i'll pay cleaning lady half pay next time just because she is reliable and decent..

drove 14 miles across eatonton. ga to my handy man's hose since his land line was kaput to get him to come friday.. the eldorado needs some rust scraping and painding under the trunk carpeting.. he said he might trade the work for toilet paper, of which i have a LOT (thanks to obama).. otherwise things look fairly normal except traffic was a bit less..

food stores are out of a lot of things, panic among the silly class..

saw a map of the world showing malaria areas mostly free from wuhan virus and wuhan virus areas that are not malaria areas.. kinda points to the drug that treats malaria as a good place to start treating covid19..

~~~Mark Twain~~~

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#30 Post by BillMorrow » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:56 am

ZaZ wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:59 pm
The business where I work is shut down until the end of the month, but fortunately with pay. To count my blessings, I can afford to hang out for a while, but am concerned about my family, friends and co-workers who have rent, mortgages and car payments to make. We''ll be OK in the short term, but we'll see how long this lasts. I'm hoping for speedy recovery.
let us see what the senate virus bill will do for those who really need it.. i think it will help and maybe this will be a short term dislocation.. :)

~~~Mark Twain~~~