Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

My Thinkpad odyssey - 13 years +

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
madkat

My Thinkpad odyssey - 13 years +

#1 Post by madkat » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:16 pm

Hello again everybody, especially the "elders" from which i've learned alot durin my Thinkpad journey...

It all begun in 2007, when, sick of bulky desktops, and loving the form factor of laptops, bought my first T. It was a secondhand T30, decently spec'd.
That was the moment when i start loving thinkpads and discovered this site, and the wonderful people posting here.
Did all sorts of experiments with this first unit, but eventually came to the topic of reballing the GPU of the T41/T42... next step:

Bought a faulty T41, also decently spec'd and in good condition, with obvious GPU failure simptoms. Bought heat gun. And did the "home reball" job. And it worked.
But, restlessly, after some time, took hold of a Intel GPU R51 board, and built my first frankenpad. Worked lovely.

But the Thinkpad passion never ceased... In 2009 found a pristine R61, sold cheaply because of a cooling issue. Again with the help of this community, found the source: Some idiot at warranty service replaced the cooler with a T61 one, much smaller etc (the unit had the ati mobo replaced with intel in warranty). So several years i've enjoyed an IPS Intel GPU R61 (some might know what this means - probably the best laptop screen i've ever experienced)

In the same time, the R61 being massive, i needed a smaller portable unit. After a short possesion of an X40 (ceased by the idiotic form factor of the hdd) - came to an X60. Which performed beautifully unit some (wife) spillage accident happened (exceeded T's drain capacity). Sadly, because the little X also performed at my daughter's christening party as sound processor and karaoke machine back in 2011 ...

But, things move forward, both sold, and time for a new generation - T400, bought in late 2012. Also decent spec'd but when i found a pristine X200, in 2014, i literally fell in love... Love story lasted 'till 2019. Did all sorts of things, wathching movies camping in the woods, real time diagnosing the car, during cruising the highway, etc.

Then, like in every man's life, you sometimes get carried away. In my (this) case was an HP Elitebook. Nice at first, hated it until the end. And, like in every man's life, you end up regretting some of the things you've done... (some of them)

Sold it it, and now posting from an T450, "army surplus" from my ex's ex job (fortunately bios not passworded), HDD changed, fresh install and all. The feeling is so familiar, keyboard, even driver bugs :D
I'll hold on to this, seems like a solid machine - just that i need to sort a way to fit the M2.2280 (have some ideas already)

Hope did'n bore the hell out of you with this short Thinkpad story...
ex: T30, TR451, TR453, R51, R52, X40, X60, R61, T400, X200
now: T450, i5, 8g, 250ssd

UMPC2024

Re: My Thinkpad odyssey - 13 years +

#2 Post by UMPC2024 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 pm

Nice. How time flies, huh? It's been 7 years for me. Still feels like yesterday I opened my T430.
madkat wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:16 pm

But, things move forward, both sold, and time for a new generation - T400, bought in late 2012. Also decent spec'd but when i found a pristine X200, in 2014, i literally fell in love... Love story lasted 'till 2019. Did all sorts of things, wathching movies camping in the woods, real time diagnosing the car, during cruising the highway, etc.

Then, like in every man's life, you sometimes get carried away. In my (this) case was an HP Elitebook. Nice at first, hated it until the end. And, like in every man's life, you end up regretting some of the things you've done... (some of them)
How do you diagnose the car with the computer? I'm looking into some OBD II readers.

Hehe, sure there's always the newer models but can't beat old faithful.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 am

T23/T30 are/were very popular to diagnose Mercs and Bimmers.
The older hardware uses the Serial port on them.
NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown till December 2020!
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!
Check out The Boardroom for Mods and Other Services.

madkat

#4 Post by madkat » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:52 am

Fortunately i have newer cars, that can be diagnosed via usb interface

For my VW i have a dedicated OBDII interface and software, called VCDS - Ross Tech.
And for the other car - a bulky Korean 4x4 with Mercedes engine and transmission - i use a Delphi inteface - reads anything that has OBD2 port. And even if it has not - there are adapters for this interface, if the software is compatible. I've succesfully read "difficult" brands - Mercs and relatively old BMW's - that are not "normal" OBD.
ex: T30, TR451, TR453, R51, R52, X40, X60, R61, T400, X200
now: T450, i5, 8g, 250ssd

UMPC2024

#5 Post by UMPC2024 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:19 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 am
T23/T30 are/were very popular to diagnose Mercs and Bimmers.
The older hardware uses the Serial port on them.
Oh right, I forgot about the serial port.
madkat wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:52 am

For my VW i have a dedicated OBDII interface and software, called VCDS - Ross Tech.
And for the other car - a bulky Korean 4x4 with Mercedes engine and transmission - i use a Delphi inteface - reads anything that has OBD2 port. And even if it has not - there are adapters for this interface, if the software is compatible. I've succesfully read "difficult" brands - Mercs and relatively old BMW's - that are not "normal" OBD.
I see. I'll have to dig around more on the car forums for my car then. Have fun with many more years of ThinkPadding!

Rob Mayercik

#6 Post by Rob Mayercik » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:19 pm

madkat wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:52 am

Ah, VCDS - I've got that too (had mine since back when it was called VAG-COM), best scan tool you can have for VW/Audi. I used to use it on my 600 (have a serial port cable), now I use it on my T61p through an FTDI USB-RS232 adapter.
T61p 8891-CTO
TP600 2645-45u (Upgraded to PII-400)