Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ReactOS

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Summilux

Re: ReactOS

#31 Post by Summilux » Fri May 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Personally, I came to the conclusion that Linux wasn't going to be a proper replacement for Windows.

What's needed is an actual Windows clone, conceived from the ground up as a replica of William Gates' operating system.

ReactOS seems to be the answer. They just need (ahem) more time, but more importantly, more money. With which they would be able to afford paying full-time developers, and reach beta stage in the not-too-distant future.

Once beta stage is reached, it could trigger a bit more interest and technical/financial contributions from Windows users in search of an alternative to the horrible Win 10.

I'm hoping to do my part a few years from now. If my financial bets pay back nicely, my goal will be to give them enough money so that the ReactOS Foundation can fund a full-time developer for 12 months.
Deathwisher
T60 2007-FSG (stolen)
X220 4287-CTO

BigWarpGuy

#32 Post by BigWarpGuy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:44 pm

dr_st wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:59 am
Yeah, well. Try BolgenOS next time.
I found the site for BolgenOS but the reviews doesn't seem promising.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/bolgenos/
It seems more of a Linux distro than a Windows clone.
8)
BigGoofyGuy 8)
http://www.biggoofyguy.com
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

http://www.cafepress.com/tomleem

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

BigWarpGuy

#33 Post by BigWarpGuy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:48 pm

atagunov wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:13 am
dr_st wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:59 am
Yeah, well. Try BolgenOS next time.
With all due respect is Bolgen anything really to pay attention to? From a quick look it seems like another Linux distribution? We have Ubuntu for that :)

What I do have some hopes of is Qubes OS. I may try it out once I get X2100.. Don't want to put it onto lower-spec machines to avoid disappointment. In my understanding Qubes OS is XEN hypervisor adapted for desktop use. It should be able to provide the highest degree of isolation between running apps. Each app sort of comes with its own micro-os. So say some bit of malware cannot contaminate anything beyond that OS normally.

So what I'd really like is a decent Windows environment within Qubes OS. Something that React OS wanted to provide but limited to a Qubes OS sandbox. Okay hopefully I'll see what Qubes can actually offer me in that regard around New Year's break.
QubeOS does seem interesting.
https://www.qubes-os.org/
Here is more about it.
https://www.qubes-os.org/intro/
'Qubes OS is a free and open-source, security-oriented operating system for single-user desktop computing. Qubes OS leverages Xen-based virtualization to allow for the creation and management of isolated compartments called qubes.'
BigGoofyGuy 8)

BigWarpGuy

#34 Post by BigWarpGuy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:56 pm

I think ReactOS holds a lot of promise even though they seem to take a long time to getting to the first release of 1.0. It would be neat if more people got involved and helped the development faster? I am hoping it would replace Windows on my computer; hopefully I will still be around when it happens. :roll:
www.reactos.org
I suggested the road runner as their mascot since it is small and fast. 8)
BigGoofyGuy 8)

atagunov

#35 Post by atagunov » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:37 pm

BigWarpGuy wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:56 pm
I think ReactOS holds a lot of promise
How many failed crypto currencies are there on the planet? How many writers actors singers have there been who never got anywhere? How many dead programming languages are littering the history of human race? How many hobby operating systems have been written but never got anywhere?... Jury is out, chances are not that great <sad-smile/>

Ah, sorry, I confused it with RedoxOS. ReactOS. The DIY Windows clone. Yeah that would be nice if it took off. Am I giving them my time skill or money? Actually not
X220, 2 *T520

Freshman Member

#36 Post by 789 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:49 pm

Summilux wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:21 pm
I'm hoping to do my part a few years from now. If my financial bets pay back nicely, my goal will be to give them enough money so that the ReactOS Foundation can fund a full-time developer for 12 months.
You won't live long enough to see a functioning ReacOS ---no one will.
If you want to spend money or time, take the Windows 2000 source code and upgrade it ---make it what it should have been if it weren't a Microsoft product.

Fierelier

#37 Post by Fierelier » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:43 am

ReactOS is something I've played around with and that I'm still very excited for. I am of the opinion that Windows has a sort of simplicity to it, compared to Linux. I think Linux actually has too many distros, which makes it hard to use for enthusiasts for me, ones that aren't masters. It does make it feel more toy-like to me, just a lot of screwing around, even though it also enables me to do certain things with my hardware that I couldn't on Windows.

Anyways, I'm hopeful that in the next few years, it will become something stable on many computers.
X40, T60 (ATI X1300), X61 (melting), T61 (Nvidia NVS140 :?), X201 (main), T420, T430 (beheaded) - Windows 7 homebrewer and fanatic, Debian enjoyer.

mikemex

#38 Post by mikemex » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:51 am

Fierelier wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:43 am
I am of the opinion that Windows has a sort of simplicity to it, compared to Linux. I think Linux actually has too many distros, which makes it hard to use for enthusiasts for me, ones that aren't masters. It does make it feel more toy-like to me, just a lot of screwing around, even though it also enables me to do certain things with my hardware that I couldn't on Windows.
Linux is not an operating system in the same sense Windows is. Windows has a standardized API and structure; Linux does not. That's why, even to this day, it's hard to deploy binary drivers and applications in Linux: you never know what to expect.

Lack of standardization and fragmentation of efforts is Linux's Achilles heel. Linux nerds may have have computing knowledge way above the typical PC user, but they do not have strong social skills. They do not understand that operating systems are, in essence, collective efforts. Western individualistic mentality prevents them from understanding that the strength of a collective effort is that it doesn't strive to please anyone in particular, but to be useful for all, and thus be a natural recipient of support from all. Make it any more specific and the support base shrinks exponentially. That's why a Linux distribution never matches the quality level of a real OS.
Summilux wrote:
Personally, I came to the conclusion that Linux wasn't going to be a proper replacement for Windows.
I don't think Linux was intended as a replacement for Windows. Linux is based on UNIX, a late 60s command line OS. It was never meant to be used by end users in GUI mode.
Summilux wrote:
What's needed is an actual Windows clone, conceived from the ground up as a replica of William Gates' operating system. ReactOS seems to be the answer. (...) it could trigger a bit more interest and technical/financial contributions from Windows users in search of an alternative to the horrible Win 10.
We don't need a clone of Windows. Cloning Windows is just a pretext to clone commercial software development model. This is, standardized API and structure.

Problem with ReactOS is precisely that they are trying to clone Windows, instead of launching an operating system based on it. Difference is that they expect to run existing software and the problem with existing software is that it often depends on bugs and quirks to run as intended. In other words, not even Windows implements the Windows API perfectly and many existing programs depends on that specific implementation.

If rather than trying to launch a sort of standalone Windows emulator, React OS really strived to become an OS on it's own, its crew would just focus on binary driver compatibility and not software. They would write the OS to comply with the API and not try to copy any bug or quirk. Having the platform up and running, they could then call developers to contribute new user mode applications. Only later they could add some compatibility layer to run buggy software.
X301: SU9600 | 8GB | 1TB | WXGA+
X1C5: 7600U | 16GB | 1TB | FHD
X1C9: 1145G7 | 16GB | 1TB | WUXGA | WWAN
X1Y8: 1365U | 32GB | 1TB | WUXGA
P14s G1 AMD: 4750U | 32GB | 1TB | PG FHD Touch
T14 G2: 1145G7 | 32GB | 1TB | FHD

Fierelier

#39 Post by Fierelier » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:12 am

mikemex wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:51 am
Linux is not an operating system in the same sense Windows is. Windows has a standardized API and structure; Linux does not.
Right, this is closer to expressing what I actually meant.
mikemex wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:51 am
Problem with ReactOS is precisely that they are trying to clone Windows
I think what ReactOS is doing is working. If you look at their YouTube community channel, they actually have quite some impressive stuff running, like complex 3D games. BeamNG likely being the most impressive. I have actually used it on physical hardware already, and it's not super unstable. I really think it is getting there.
X40, T60 (ATI X1300), X61 (melting), T61 (Nvidia NVS140 :?), X201 (main), T420, T430 (beheaded) - Windows 7 homebrewer and fanatic, Debian enjoyer.

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”