Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Look at how stupid we have become!

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Look at how stupid we have become!

#1 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:27 am

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

- Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.

2009 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

- Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2009 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged them with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

- Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2009 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability..

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

- Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

- Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.

2009 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

- Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2009 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

- Ants die.

2009- ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

- In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job.. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy .

This is to show how stupid we have become!!
Still NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown until Easter 2021!
Covid-19: Stay safe, so Mask it or Casket!

ZaZ

Re: Look at how stupid we have become!

#2 Post by ZaZ » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:47 am

Perhaps a bit over simplified, but there's a lot of truth in what you say. It's this whole culture of culture of hype and scaring people we now live in, which has a tremendous cost. Look at the weather as one example. It seemed like 20 years ago they only broke into the TV programming if there was a tornado or flooding. Now it seem like they do it every time there's a few sprinkles. Look at how much they hype serial killers. You probably got a better chance of getting hit by lightening than killed by a serial killer, but it sells. Crime rates are way down in this country yet our levels of anxiety are way up, which is not supported by the facts.
ProBook 470 G5

t140568

#3 Post by t140568 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:45 pm

I agree with you folks on this, especially with the part about misbehaving kids given Ritalin. How many other times are drugs prescribed that don't need to be? And why is it that tobacco companies aren't allowed to use cartoon characters for advertisement (which I understand), but prescription drug companies are? More importantly, why are prescription drugs advertised anyway? If I have a problem, shouldn't my doctor tell me the remedy instead of the TV?
</rant>
Some call me...Tim.
Present:
T420 - i7-3632QM/250gb SSD/16gb/FHD via converter board/AW-CB160H AC/Coreboot/Internal Logitech Unifying Receiver
T500 - C2D-P8700/64gb SSD/6gb/WUXGA

Past: X61T || X60T || R50 || X30 || T30 || A31p || 3xx || 600E || Intellistation Z Pro

qviri
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by qviri » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:04 pm

A thank you to all the people of present and past who prefer liability lawsuits to common sense; working 16 hrs a day to buy a better car than the neighbours to taking proper care and interest in their children's lives; instant gratification to sustainability; two hour commutes to being reminded that we share the planet with six billion other people; corporate profits to health, safety, dignity-- hell, pretty much anything; belief everyone in your family is perfect to realism; gated communities to actual communities; getting rich outside to getting rich inside; an illusion of temporary safety to actually dealing with other people and their feelings; pseudo-educational shallow analogies to an in-depth examination of what went wrong and how we can fix it;
Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
and if you believe this actually happened as presented here, a very special thank you to cluelessness, selective memories, and naivete.
X220/IPS, T60p/IPS
Nothing endures but change

mattbiernat
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by mattbiernat » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:28 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

- Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2009 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Pedros classmate, Matt, goes to college and fails English. Matt now has to work 3 times as hard to complete his bachelors. Matt's total GPA suffers. Matt goes to medical school in the Caribbean instead of U.S. Matt decides to change the world and joins the Republican party.

VipFreak
Freshman Member

#6 Post by VipFreak » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:51 pm

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:52 pm

mattbiernat wrote:Matt goes to medical school in the Caribbean instead of U.S.
You, of Polish origin, go to a country where most people speak a French patois rather than English to study medicine?
Voodoo perhaps?

mattbiernat
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by mattbiernat » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:06 pm

hey whatever gets me to pass USMLE1 and practice in California! but to study Voodoo, all you have to do is go to Poland....
actually I aced English during my undergrad (at least my last course). although that might surprise a lot of people in this forum.

spuddog

#9 Post by spuddog » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:26 pm

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
I graduated high school in 1970. We routinely had our shotguns in our cars so we could go hunting after class. We never considered using them at the school. We did have a shooting club, but it wasn't on school grounds.

Scott

AlphaKilo470
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#10 Post by AlphaKilo470 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:50 pm

I had a pocket knife at my high school awhile back (late 2004) and when it fell outta my pocket, I ended up arrested and the county wanted to press felony charges on me. I was able to get out of the situation by paying a lot of money and doing 150 hours of community service.

I had to drive myself to jail; warrant went out hours after I left school. If I was really so dangerous with that weapon, wouldn't they want me subdued on site? Didn't they realize that if I had the intent to use the knife on somebody (the knife was always in my pocket at the job I had; I left it in my jacket) I could have done so anytime. It's also notable that I was asked to hand over the knife; it wasn't confiscated.

When I got to jail, I was never handcuffed, they never bother to shut the cell door on me and after I was released that morning, I had to wait quite some time for trail.

So I was dangerous enough to face felony charges and hefty fines but I wasn't dangerous enough for law enforcement to really give a care. Had this been one of those Columbine kids as opposed to me, somebody easily could have been killed through all this; how exactly are we protecting anyone in our schools with this crap legislation?

All the while, I'm pretty sure some kid was getting his rear handed to him in the hallway somewhere at that school; fist fights happen daily. Way to protect people! (BTW, I had to repeat my story several times at that jail, the cops thought it was one of the stupidest things they had heard) Also, had my knife been any shorter (it was 3" exact), I would have been slapped with misdemeanor charges.
Latitude E7250: i5 5300U 2.3ghz, 12gb RAM, 12" 1080p touch, 256gb SSD, Win 10, Linux Mint 18.2
HP Compaq 6910p: 2GHZ C2D T6400, 4gb RAM, 14.1" WXGA, 500gb WD Blue, Linux Mint 18.2
ThinkPad T60: 2GHZ CD T2500, 2gb RAM, 14.1" XGA, 60gb 7k100, Win 7 Ult

mattbiernat
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#11 Post by mattbiernat » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:30 pm

i brought a "weapon" on campus as well. i was suspended for one day and my father had to come in to pick me up. the dean explained to my parents that the word "weapon" will stay on my file and that it will follow me to the university and beyond. the alleged "weapon" was a laser pointer.

t20user

#12 Post by t20user » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:58 pm

Moral of the story(s): The lawyers win.

mattbiernat
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#13 Post by mattbiernat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:28 pm

t20user wrote:Moral of the story(s): The lawyers win.
ehhh, that's better than having no lawyers (like in Poland) and not being able to sue anybody over anything. although this country is hypocritical i think this is still better than other places in the world.

thePCxp

#14 Post by thePCxp » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:48 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote: 2009 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability..
I have ADHD and I didn't get diagnosed with it until I was 18 (I'm 19 now). Luckily, I was diagnosed with it early in my life than later in my life. Even worse, before that, back when I was 13, I got diagnosed with the wrong thing! Two wrong things! They gave me treatments for the wrong thing (but no medications luckily) that didn't even work for me! When I found out more about the diagnoses, I was outraged because I knew they weren't me, so I went out and searched for the right thing. Another thing was that my parents were being hard on me. It felt like I was getting punished for something that I didn't even do.
I may have had missed some opportunities and had some bad years pile up and had a pretty though childhood, but luckily, I was able to make it through. I have ThinkPads, IBM, Lenovo, and the arts to thank for that. They distracted me from the things that went wrong. I also had some great teachers in school.
And by the way, I chose to treat my ADHD with no medication.
ThinkPads: R51 (1836HAU), T41 (23737FU), 600 (264551U), T60 (2008VRQ), T500 (224255U)

I Love (all) ThinkPads...ThinkPad forever!

yak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#15 Post by yak » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:38 pm

mattbiernat wrote:ehhh, that's better than having no lawyers (like in Poland)
I spent greater part of my life there, their legal system definitely has flaws and is corrupt but I assure you there are lawyers in Poland.

If this is some pun I didn't get, please accept my apologies and be so kind to explain. :)
ThinkPad™ X201 / AFFS-120
i5-560M 2.67Ghz, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Win 8 Pro 64-bit, UltraBase X200, ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard,
Dell U2713HM (2560x1440, IPS), ExpressCard USB 3.0 (2 ports, flush), Nexus 7+10

mattbiernat
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#16 Post by mattbiernat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:52 pm

of course there are lawyers in Poland, just being overly sarcastic. the legal system in Poland really does not work. there is really no practical way to file a civil law suit against a state or a city or a doctor or a cop or anybody who cause monetary/physical damages. that's why, even thou the U.S. can be overly messed up in suing everyone for everything it is still better than not being able to sue anyone over anything. hopefully E.U. will change this. I am looking forward for more centralized E.U. gov't, maybe something comparable to U.S. federal gov't. but that is going to take many years and we are way off topic here.

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#17 Post by BillMorrow » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:32 pm

mattbiernat wrote: .....I am looking forward for more centralized E.U. gov't, maybe something comparable to U.S. federal gov't. but that is going to take many years and we are way off topic here.
i'm not sure you really want what we have here in the USA as far as lawyers and lawsuits go..
there are too many and for overly frivolous reasons..
the loser should be made to pay ALL legal fees..
that would slow dumb lawsuits down..

as fpor centralized EU government..?
bite your tongue..!

here is america america is slowly withering away into the progressive EU?UK and canada..
and all those whith half a brain are astonishedf that americans are letting this happen..
sadly, the parasite class seems to have taken over form the middle class and like the romans will vote themselves "bread and circus's"..
its what the parasite class always does..
which is why the founders tried to NOT allow the parasite class to have a vote..
only allowing those who has "skin in the game" to vote..

venezuela and the west bank are prime examples..

the culture here has changed to one of where everyone is a victim and someone else must be made to pay..

we are on the road to liberal fascism and have been for many years..

while RealBlackStuff's little list are simplistic examples, it is true..

AlphaKilo470, did all that happen in georgia..?
just another case of the politically correct world coming down on good sense..
and everyone trying to cover their behinds from a lawsuit..

i could continue but i think those with the half a brain cell i mentioned above already know whats going on and those who have drunk the "kool-aid" will never know..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

Bookworm

#18 Post by Bookworm » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Yes, RealBlackStuff's examples are a little simplified, but they have to be to illustrate a point. You can find detailed case histories if you look for them. Generally he is right, and if you don't believe us, STUDY SOME HISTORY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YOUR LIFE!!! And by history I do *not* mean commie propaganda by some idiot who wasn't there and doesn't know what he is talking about. It's easy to tell the difference. History is written either by people who were there and tell you what they saw, and lived through, or by people who dig for evidence and quote first hand sources. Propaganda may (but often doesn't) quote first hand sources, but the quotes usually have little to do with what is being claimed.

For example, in a piece of anti-rich-white-male hate propaganda called "A Peoples History of the United States" the author (can't remember his name) quotes Columbus' journal where Columbus tries to find out what's going on from the Indians (still thinking he's in India) then claims, without any evidence, that what Columbus wanted to know was "Where is the gold". There is no connection between the authors claims and the source he's quoting.

Pay attention to stuff like this. Demand the evidence. Dig for it. Don't believe everything you here on TV, even if they call it the news or the educational channel.

mattbiernat
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#19 Post by mattbiernat » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:58 am

studying history is almost like reading philosophy. one can find all kinds of evidence to prove his or her point....
that's why i gave up on both.

AlphaKilo470
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#20 Post by AlphaKilo470 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:21 pm

BillMorrow wrote:AlphaKilo470, did all that happen in georgia..?
just another case of the politically correct world coming down on good sense..
and everyone trying to cover their behinds from a lawsuit..
The story is abridged; I cut the fine boring details out. Annoyingly enough, the incident is still on my record which causes issues getting a job at companies that run background checks. So much for those thousands of dollars spent on a lawyer who guaranteed I wouldn't be catching crud from the incident in the future.
Latitude E7250: i5 5300U 2.3ghz, 12gb RAM, 12" 1080p touch, 256gb SSD, Win 10, Linux Mint 18.2
HP Compaq 6910p: 2GHZ C2D T6400, 4gb RAM, 14.1" WXGA, 500gb WD Blue, Linux Mint 18.2

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#21 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:00 pm

So sue the lawyer! 8)

AlphaKilo470
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#22 Post by AlphaKilo470 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:31 pm

He did a good job making sure I couldn't afford to sue him afterwords...

Bookworm

#23 Post by Bookworm » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:08 am

> studying history is almost like reading philosophy. one can find all kinds of evidence to
> prove his or her point....that's why i gave up on both.

That's not true if you study *all* of it, not just some carefully edited account. That's why I hate it so much when I find books like "selections from" some famous work like the Journals of Lewis and Clark, or something like Alexis De Tocqueville's Democracy in America "edited and abriged for the modern reader". What was censored from the original by the editors?

In the example I referred to, where did the author get his claim that all Columbus wanted to know about was the gold? Out of his own anti-American prejudice and thin air! Read Columbus original journals to see what really happened, not something that has been edited, then added to.

The Gutenberg project has a lot of these books.

mattbiernat
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#24 Post by mattbiernat » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:38 pm

ok. so you are saying that some sources are more legitimate than others. I completely agree. However there can 2 or 3 sources that are legitimate but state contradicting events. so again, history can be argued either way. but yes if you do study a lot of it, you can get at least some kind of idea which argument seems more plausible and which one does not. same goes for philosophy. but in general there is no way to get to the bottom of truth.

BeeJayEmm
Sophomore Member

Look at how we get our philosophy from bumper stickers!

#25 Post by BeeJayEmm » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:39 pm

qviri wrote:<snipped>
I just reread your post. I appreciated it very much.
R52s 1849-ADU, -8DU and -4WU
R60 9456-01U