Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Riding bicycles.

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
t140568

Riding bicycles.

#1 Post by t140568 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm sure a lot of folks have them. I'm wondering what bikes you have and how you fine folks use them. Do you ride to commute? Weekend riding with the family? Do you race? Maybe you collect and paint them in a Black/Red Thinkpad theme? (A no-gloss/matte finish, of course!):P

I've been looking at folding bicycles since space is at a premium for me and it would allow me to commute to work/home. I believe I've finally settled on a Brompton. Though they are a bit pricey, I believe the quality is there. To quote Henry Royce, "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten".
For those who don't know, go here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/nycewheels? ... Q6J48kzw4w
Some call me...Tim.
Present:
T420 - i7-3632QM/250gb SSD/16gb/FHD via converter board/AW-CB160H AC/Coreboot/Internal Logitech Unifying Receiver
T500 - C2D-P8700/64gb SSD/6gb/WUXGA

Past: X61T || X60T || R50 || X30 || T30 || A31p || 3xx || 600E || Intellistation Z Pro

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Riding bicycles.

#2 Post by poshgeordie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Ah the memories - back in 86 my then wife and I were doing a lot of traveling and found ourselves in Thailand being driven mad on the tourist route in trains and buses - that is until "someone" had the bright idea of "just getting a couple of bikes and cycling to Australia...."

Long story short - a guy in Chinatown in Bangkok made a couple of frames out of high quality alloy tubing; my dad shipped out gear sets, wheels, panniers, pedals etc from UK - it was all arranged by fax then - and we ended up with a couple of really superb touring bikes. I remember mine was sprayed in bright green and my other half's was sky blue!

Until then our only cycling was to the local pub, and we actually managed to cycle down Thailand into Malaysia to Kuala Lumpur, and a flight to Bali where we had a little "cycling holiday".
We then flew to Darwin in Northern Aussie where we decided to head down towards the middle and turn right away from the tourists and almost made it to Perth in Western Australia - problems with breaking spokes stopped us a few days short of our destination.
New spokes and lots of tinnies, and steaks on barbies later, from Perth we did a little side trip all the way to the bottom and back where we decided to hang up our handlebars.

Some absolutely amazing times and stories - narrowly missed being shot in a deserted campsite in Aussie, cycling on the old road across Malaysia into KL - beautiful jungle scenery, and introducing fried egg butties to a local family near the top of one of the volcano's in Bali.
I'll also never forget the group of bikers on their ancient Harleys who drove into the local town and back with packs of beer for us!

Personally I wish I'd continued into South America, but I guess that's for another day.
Last edited by poshgeordie on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by killer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Brompton bikes have a very good reputation and are used by loads of daily commuters into Greater London. They are sturdy, but pricey.

Quality isn't cheap ... that's why we use ThinkPads rather than anything else. If you want a Brompton, then buy one.

I use a bike when I want to go to a social event that is local and I fancy a drink or three. The police can't take away ones's driving licence for being over the limit in charge of a push bike. :wink:

@Nick: Jupiter's Travels on a push bike, I don't think so! :??:
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

X1 Carbon Win 7 Pro 64 for my wife.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Dogs must be carried on the escalator. Where can I find a dog?

poshgeordie
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by poshgeordie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:02 pm

killer wrote:@Nick: Jupiter's Travels on a push bike, I don't think so! :??:
I just wish I'd had the courage to have a Ted Simons lifestyle and become a citizen of the world. There again I suppose someone had to draw the short straw to repair Thinkpads for UK, Europe and USA :wink:

ArtShapiro

#5 Post by ArtShapiro » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:27 pm

t140568 wrote:I'm sure a lot of folks have them. I'm wondering what bikes you have and how you fine folks use them.
I ride a Habanero (titanium bike) with all Campy Record equipment. I ride both Saturday and Sunday with a club, except for rained out days. I'm not very fast, alas, but do a huge amount of climbing. In 2008 I exceeded 350,000' of climbing, and would have beat a thousand feet a day for that year except for a bad crash that caused several weeks of flat riding.

The bicycle gets more miles on it each year than the car, despite this being car-crazy Southern California.

Art

t140568

#6 Post by t140568 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:02 am

You all have me wanting to ride even more now.
Some call me...Tim.
Present:
T420 - i7-3632QM/250gb SSD/16gb/FHD via converter board/AW-CB160H AC/Coreboot/Internal Logitech Unifying Receiver
T500 - C2D-P8700/64gb SSD/6gb/WUXGA

Past: X61T || X60T || R50 || X30 || T30 || A31p || 3xx || 600E || Intellistation Z Pro

Johan
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Riding bicycles the scottish way... :-)

#7 Post by Johan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:13 am

... I'm an avid bicyclist too, and always was, but nothing compared to riding bicycles the scottish way --> Inspired Bicycles - Danny MacAskill April 2009. It's plain right unimaginable what this fellow is capable of... :!: :!:

PS: The music is by Band of Horses: "The Funeral"

Johan
IBM T42p's (2373-Q1U & -Q2U): 2.1 GHz, 15" UXGA FlexView, 2 GB RAM, 128 MB FireGL T2, 128 GB 1.8" SATA SSD, IBM a/b/g, BT, Win 7 Ultimate
IBM T42 (2373-N1G): 1.8 GHz, 15" SXGA+ FlexView, 2 GB RAM, 64 MB Radeon 9600, 64 GB 1.8" SATA SSD, IBM a/b/g, BT, Win 7 Ultimate

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:43 am

Absolutely amazing! Thx for the link.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!

j-dawg

#9 Post by j-dawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:57 am

I ride a '79 Panasonic road bike around town, a few miles per day. It's a nice bike, actually; though the Sport Deluxe was a midrange model, the drivetrain is smooth and quiet and the ride is comfortable. I've had it set up as a fixed gear for a few months, which is quite fun around the city, although it makes me feel like a huge hipster. I live in perpetual fear that it will be stolen or wrecked; it's not a particularly valuable bike, but it's the only frame I've had that's small enough for me and not terrible.

Before that I had a Panasonic City Bike for a month or so. It was solid; I recall inspecting it to find a single plastic part on it, and I could not. It was a good bike, but boring. Hence why I traded up to the roadie. (I actually made money on that: purchase included, I invested $95 to get the Sport Deluxe running properly, and I sold the City Bike for $100.)

I also have a Magna mountain mixte that I recently rescued from the trash, but I hate it. I think I will sell it for parts and try to make back what I spent ($35 for new tires and tubes, a new brake, and a used seat). It really is a miserable little thing and I don't know why I bothered. Ugh.
X61 Tablet - 1.6GHz C2D, SXGA+, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Vista Business.

i have other laptops but i'll be honest i never use 'em

t20user

#10 Post by t20user » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:11 pm

I ride a 1999 Litespeed Ultimate. Its an excellent bike for long distance rides. I mostly use it for longer group rides.

For commuting I ride a Motobecane Fantom CX. I ride around the city quite a bit in the summer time for general commuting.

Marin85
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Riding bicycles the scottish way... :-)

#11 Post by Marin85 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Johan wrote:... I'm an avid bicyclist too, and always was, but nothing compared to riding bicycles the scottish way --> Inspired Bicycles - Danny MacAskill April 2009. It's plain right unimaginable what this fellow is capable of... :!: :!:

PS: The music is by Band of Horses: "The Funeral"

Johan
Wow, thanks for sharing this link! I thought I have seen it all, but nothing quite like this! Yes, one would think it is unimaginable or even impossible... (And the pain when some of his stuns go wrong are probably unimaginable as well!)

On a side note, I always thought that good users would rather like to reduce the cycles :P
IBM Lenovo Z61p | 15.4'' WUXGA | Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 2x 2.16GHz | 4 GB Kingston HyperX | Hitachi 7K500 500 GB + WD 1TB (USB) | ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 | ThinkPad Atheros a/b/g | Analog Devices AD1981HD | Win 7 x86 + ArchLinux 2009.08 x64 (number crunching)

Return to “Off-Topic Stuff”