Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X120e Debian Stretch Video Driver

X100e/X120e/X130e/X140e Series
Omineca
Sophomore Member

X120e Debian Stretch Video Driver

#1 Post by Omineca » Tue May 16, 2017 8:06 am

I just did a new install of Debian Stretch RC3, using the net install image, and I thought I'd save others here some grief with respect to video. I had a tough time finding the correct video driver.

First, get your install media here:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... -firmware/

This version includes non-free repositories, which makes things a lot easier for you.

With Stretch, everything works out of the box, except video, which installs a generic driver set at a poor default resolution. The old fglrx driver is nowhere to be found either.

To fix video, open synaptic (or use apt), and install the amd-firmware-graphics package. I know, it should have been obvious, but it wasn't. A few other dependencies will be marked for installation as well.

One more thing: when choosing a desktop, I went with LXDE (Desktop environment was selected, I selected LXDE, and left all of the others unchecked). It's so light that the X120e feels like it did when it was new. It's snappy. The browser is even tolerable, which is saying something for this laptop.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Home: L440 | R500 | X120e Server
Work: ThinkPad Yoga 260 | Dell Latitude 5320