Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo ThinkPad X131e Chromebook Firmware

X100e/X120e/X130e/X140e Series
Davy49

Lenovo ThinkPad X131e Chromebook Firmware

#1 Post by Davy49 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:39 am

Hi,
While I do in fact own a regular windows 10 powered lenovo thinkpad, my question is instead concerning the X131e lenovo thinkpad chromebook I also own. It currently has the last available version of the chrome o.s.that google released to it. My goal is to possibly upgrade it to a completely different operating system of some kind. Upon checking on one different operating system, I was informed that the firmware of my thinkpad chromebook needed to be updated. But upon visiting the lenovo site I wasn't able to located a updated firmware for my device. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what / where I can locate a copy of a updated firmware for my device ? Thanks in advance for any & all assistance that might be offered to me.
David :roll:

davidgurvich
Freshman Member

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X131e Chromebook Firmware

#2 Post by davidgurvich » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:21 pm

Go to MrChromebox.tech and follow the instructions. Save the current bios firmware to a usb stick just in case. The general steps are place into developer mode, unlock the firmware, flash new firmware. Preparation might require 2 or 3 usb sticks(one to store the original firmware + one for cloudready or linux os).

I don't know the specific steps for your model. As an example, on the 2013 chromebook pixel there is a software switch to developer mode followed by opening up the device to remove a write protect screw. The chromebook pixel had the same issue of no longer getting updates. Cloudready works well with only some caveats.

If you look for a video on installing cloudready for your device, the same procedure can be followed until installation of the OS. Then just pick the one you want.
Egregious overbidder

Davy49

#3 Post by Davy49 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:12 am

Hi David,
Since I first added my original post, I discovered the https://mrchromebox.tech/ site, as I'm a member on this site https://www.reddit.com/ as well, I'm sure that you are already keenly aware of all of the wealth of information just waiting to be discovered on the web. And before I forget..Thank You so much for your informative reply, I decided to follow the author of the mrchromebox site on twitter: @MrChromebox as well. Like yourself, he's willing & of course able to address questions about procedures with chromebooks, I've already been in communication with him directly. You sure brought up some valid points concerning having some usb sticks available for use in the process. I'm just glad that something sparked my renewed interest in my lenovo thinkpad chromebook, up until now I just had it sitting in a drawer not being used. Since I'm older now & my thinking has changed somewhat since I retired in 12/2018, I plan on taking all the time I need & to be as careful as possible so as to not harm my chromebook. To be honest I probably wouldn't be going through this process if google would have decided to support my chromebook with software updates for a longer period of time. I feel sure that there are other users feeling the same way as I do...possibly even you. Since I purchased my chromebook on a whim, there's still quite a bit that I've yet to discover about them. I'm still more well versed with windows computers, especially version # 10 due to me being a windows insider being able to evaluate ms software before being released to the general public. Please Stay Safe as now I'm hearing that the # of new covid-19 cases seems to be edging upward once again.
David
Update: I've already disassembled my chromebook and turned the 'write-protect' switch to the off position, while I was inside my chromebook, I noticed there's a place to install a actual hard drive. As I always have spare parts available, I do have both the traditional type as well as s.s.d.. I just need to do further research as to what I could utilize a hard drive for.

kocoman
Freshman Member

#4 Post by kocoman » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:21 am

How to downgrade ec ? Thx