Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X100E - More heat / fan stuff - where to fix in London?

X100e/X120e/X130e etc. series specific matters only.
finisterre

X100E - More heat / fan stuff - where to fix in London?

#1 Post by finisterre » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 am

My X100E (3508 Turion Neo X2 L625) has always run very hot and occasionally shut off.

Now it's out of warranty, it does it all the time!

I phoned Lenovo, who said the fan would need replacing (even though it sounds like it's working?).

Ridiculously they want £212 labour (+parts +VAT) to replace the fan. So it's not worth doing. £212 for a 10 minute job?

Is it easy to do yourself? Fans are on Ebay for £22ish. If not, is there somewhere reasonaly priced in London that can do it?

And is it really likely to be the fan?

Thanks.

ScottyBoy
Sophomore Member

Re: X100E - More heat / fan stuff - where to fix in London?

#2 Post by ScottyBoy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 am

finisterre wrote:My X100E (3508 Turion Neo X2 L625) has always run very hot and occasionally shut off.

Now it's out of warranty, it does it all the time!

I phoned Lenovo, who said the fan would need replacing (even though it sounds like it's working?).

Ridiculously they want £212 labour (+parts +VAT) to replace the fan. So it's not worth doing. £212 for a 10 minute job?

Is it easy to do yourself? Fans are on Ebay for £22ish. If not, is there somewhere reasonaly priced in London that can do it?

And is it really likely to be the fan?

Thanks.
I personally haven't worked on an X100E but it should be relatively straightforward to do - it can't be as bad taking apart an X61 to replace it's fan! :lol:

The HMM for your series of ThinkPad is accessible via the following link - you might to check it out first to review the process involved but to see if you feel comfortable doing it yourself.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc ... 640_06.pdf

twistero

Re: X100E - More heat / fan stuff - where to fix in London?

#3 Post by twistero » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 am

Also, it may not be necessary to replace the fan.
Refer to the Hardware Maintenance Manual posted above, simply remove the keyboard, and you'll see the fan. The fan and/or vent may be clogged with dust during usage, which can lead to heat problems. You might be able to clean the fan and vent with a small brush or some compressed air without actually taking it off the motherboard. This alone might solve your problem.
X60 tablet 6363-P3U, 3GB ram, 128GB SanDisk Extreme SSD, SXGA+ screen, Intel 6300
T61 Frankenpad in 15 inch T60 body, UXGA LED-lit AFFS LCD, T9300, 6GB RAM, NVidia NVS140m, Intel 6205, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, 1TB HGST HDD + eBay caddy in Ultrabay
701c butterfly, 75MHz 486DX4, 40MB ram, 1GB CF card