Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X131e Pointing Device problems

X100e/X120e/X130e/X140e Series
Winfried

X131e Pointing Device problems

#1 Post by Winfried » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:31 am

Hello!

My machine: ThinkPad X131e
Machine type model: 3374

Since some recent Windows update (I presume) the Synaptics Pointing Device does not work anymore. According to device manager it is installed ("connected to PS/2 mouse connector"), has the latest UltraNav device drivers (ver. 19.0.17.85), installation has been confirmed, but in device manager properties it claims "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed (Code 24)". When I open "Mouse" in systems control panel it says: "No connection to Synaptics Pointing Device possible" (translated from German) and suggests to de- and re-install the device drivers.

What I did to change this:

- De- and re-installed device drivers including removal of all Synaptics entries in registry (several times).
- Installed a new keyboard (de-installed it after it brought no result).
- Installed older device drivers.
- Ran Lenovo System Update after de-installing the pointing device.

In BIOS there is no entry where to switch on or off the pointing device, as I found it suggested in other forums. A USB-mouse works properly, but I would like to use the trackpoint again as well.

Has anyone an idea where this error could come from, and what to do to resolve it? Thanks a lot in advance!

Winfried

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X131e Pointing Device problems

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:34 am

Yup, ditch W10 and go back to W7.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Puppy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:09 am

Have you tried the is one ?

Synaptics Pointing Device Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit , 64-bit) - ThinkPad X131e, X140e, ThinkPad Edge E130, E135, E145, ThinkPad T430u
http://support.lenovo.com/cz/cs/product ... s/DS104313
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

Winfried

#4 Post by Winfried » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:44 am

To RealBlackStuff: I considered this, but otherwise I am content with Windows 10, and the trackpoint did work with Windows 10 at first. - I just did a Windows 10 reset, with no success, though, as far as the trackpoint is concerned.

To Puppy: Yes, I did try the newest driver 19.0.12.61, but the result was the same. It reported the drivers were installed successfully, but in device manager it stills shows the same error code.

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#5 Post by jronald » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:40 pm

Hopefully this will help some (idgit) in the future. When you discover the Mouse and the Track Pad no longer work, and you have plugged in and unplugged the 2 (two) cables coming from the back of the key board, double check the tiny connector located on the motherboard, thats located under the space bar, near the bottom of the bezel. This connector is roughly half the size of the smaller connector coming off the back of the keyboard. Dont know for sure what it does, but after 5 days of multiple OS installs, and Driver installs and key board swaps, I discovered the flat cable laying OVER the connector instead of IN the connector. Reinstalled it, and what do you know, the track pad and mouse work fine in W7, W10 and MInt!
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's