Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Disappointed with the X100e

X100e/X120e/X130e/X140e Series
2timer

Disappointed with the X100e

#1 Post by 2timer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:44 pm

A little background on me.. I worked for a large company where we serviced Thinkpads and Dell laptops. I fell in love instantly with the Thinkpads and purchased my first T60. What I love about the Thinkpads is the build quality far superior then those stylish lipstick clam shell of disposable laptops like Sony, Acer, HP, Asus, etc..

Anyway I have owned true thinkpads the T60, X60s and X61. However I am in need of a new Thinkpad and went to check out this 100e and to my belief I was very disappointed. This is a bit more powerful then the standard netbook but the quality is not there. It is more like the MSI netbooks which is what I call disposable as in will not last. I think that Lenovo is just trying to expand and reach different types of consumers. This is fine for business but I don't think Lenovo should put the Thinkpad brand on these disposable laptops.

I see the true thinkpads are the T series and X series. Everything else is just using the name.

The 100e is a good alternative to any of the netbooks out there for sure. Just don't expect that your holding a true Thinkpad in your hands.

Just felt like getting this off my chest as I was looking forward to purchasing this today.

ZaZ

Re: Disappointed with the X100e

#2 Post by ZaZ » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:19 am

I'd you're paying significantly less for a X100e than a traditional Thinkpad. I don't know one can expect to pay half yet still get the same quality. As you said yourself it's better than other netbooks, which is probably Lenovo's goal. You point out an interesting conundrum for Lenovo, how do expand the Thinkpad brand without diluting the quality that has long been associated with Thinkpads?
ThinkPad L14 - 2.1GHz Ryzen 4650U | 16GB | 256GB | 14" FHD | Win11P
ProBook 470 G5 - 1.6GHz Core i5 | 16GB | 2.2TB | 17" FHD | Mint

The Solutor
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by The Solutor » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:37 am

I can't agree at all.

The X100 is an incredibly well built notebook, and you can notice that looking at the little things like the screws tht can't be lost.

Obviously no light alloy here, nor some goodies like the think-light, as the bigger brothers.

But keep in mind that the x100 costs less than half the price of an x200.

You have also to keep clear the difference between feature richness and build quality they are not synonyms.

johnnybogota

#4 Post by johnnybogota » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:51 am

I don't have problems with the build quality, so far as I understand, because it is smaller it has the stiffness and doesn't need the light alloy chassis. I can pick mine up by its corner without it bending or snapping in half.

I do have a problem though with the performance. I took mine out of the box and ran ThinkVantage tools to update the OS and drivers and it didn't have enough memory to run Lenovo's own software. I have a 2GB version, given the x100e ships with 1GB too, I can only imagine how bad the lower RAM version is.

I personally think it should be shipped with Windows 7 Home Basic, it runs much better with the Aero graphics turned off, most of the unnecessary Windows features disabled (such as bluetooth and remote assistance) A basic visual theme selected etc.

I don't personally think it is worthy of the ThinkPad brand, not working out of the box isn't very ThinkPad, might be something to do with not having the chassis, but my x100e only finds half the wireless networks that my other thinkpads find too.

The Solutor
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by The Solutor » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:41 pm

johnnybogota

The X100e equipped with 1GB of RAM comes with XP preinstalled.

And with xp the x100 literally flies.

In my opinion win 7 should be installed only on the dual core versions

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by ThinkRob » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:33 pm

Personally, I fail to see why "expanding the ThinkPad brand" is a good idea to begin with...

They *already have* a very successful consumer brand: IdeaPad. Why not just use that?
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

2timer

#7 Post by 2timer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:49 am

Good point, glad to see others who see the importance of quality. But I guess Lenovo wants to include a new series to the Thinkpad lineup like have netbooks, average consumer, business, etc.

jvarszegi

#8 Post by jvarszegi » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:19 pm

The build quality on the X100e is excellent. So are the ergonomics. It is simply not as powerful as most notebooks out there, but it competes price-wise with netbooks more than most laptops. It is what it is: a lower-end Thinkpad.

wgg
Freshman Member

#9 Post by wgg » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:24 pm

I have to agree with the fact that the X and T series are the ture ThinkPads and the closest to the originals.
William George Gardner
ThinkPad T410 Windows7 | 4GB RAM | 40GB HD
ThinkPad T21 WindowsXP| 256MB RAM |
Macbook Air

j-dawg

#10 Post by j-dawg » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:36 am

Dear Sirs,
Many of you have expressed your disappointment with the X100e and its lack of faith to the original Thinkpad line. To relieve you of your troubles, I will offer to take on your X100e if you have become disenchanted with its small size and with the world's only acceptable chiclet keyboard. To ease the process of transition, and to soften the blow to my own humors as I take on this burden, I ask that you generously handle the cost of shipping to my address. I will do my best thereafter to keep these wretched devices from ever again spoiling your day.

Sincerely,
-J to the Dizzay.
X61 Tablet - 1.6GHz C2D, SXGA+, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Vista Business.

i have other laptops but i'll be honest i never use 'em

The Solutor
Sophomore Member

#11 Post by The Solutor » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:00 am

hahahah

Return to “ThinkPad X100e/X120e/X130e/X140e Series”