Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

PCMCIA on Thinkpad 760XL not acknowledging cards

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
conrat4567

PCMCIA on Thinkpad 760XL not acknowledging cards

#1 Post by conrat4567 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:35 am

Hi,
I am new to the forum so this will be my first post.
I have a 760xl running windows 95. It is a fresh install of the OS as it came to me with no drive so I have none of the original software that came bundled with the thinkpad. I have both a floppy drive and CD drive that both work. I bought a compact flash PCMCIA card to use as a way to get things on and off of it, it is a 32mb cisco card that reads fine on my main PC. I open the PCMCIA option on the control panel when it is inserted but it does not seem to read the card, I have checked device manager and nothing pops up and the driver for the PCMCIA controller seems to be correct. If I uninstall it, 95 finds the hardware again and installs the driver so I am hoping the actual slots are OK but I am not sure. The laptop came with a token ring card that I kept from its previous life and that isn't detected either, both are saying empty when on the software. I know IBM had a PC card utility bundled with the software on the device, is that needed for setup?
I hope that explanation made sense, I know it is silly but the laptop means a lot to me as I have autism and my hobbies are often seen as odd by others but me and my compsci teacher restored it together and I would like to have it back to original as much as I can.
I thank you all in advance.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: PCMCIA on Thinkpad 760XL not acknowledging cards

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:56 am

I had a 760XD more than a decade ago with Win95, and its PCMCIA slots work. You need to install some IBM-specific drivers and software. Use the Drivers link just below the website banner to get the right ones. Sorry I cannot be more specific, as it was a long time ago and that Thinkpad is long gone.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

conrat4567

#3 Post by conrat4567 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:06 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:56 am
I had a 760XD more than a decade ago with Win95, and its PCMCIA slots work. You need to install some IBM-specific drivers and software. Use the Drivers link just below the website banner to get the right ones. Sorry I cannot be more specific, as it was a long time ago and that Thinkpad is long gone.
Thank you, I have essentially downloaded all of the drivers relating to the 760 and 95 from the site. I reckon the utility software or PC Card Utility for "Plug and Play" is what I am missing so I will give them a go.
Again, thank you for the reply. Just out of curiosity, where the 760 line considered good back then?

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:25 am

Oh yes, the 700 series was the premium Thinkpad line, with each model having nifty features. Some models of the 760 series have Video in/Video out capability, and a hardware MPEG-1 video decoder chip.

The 760XD even went to space aboard the Shuttle. :D
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

conrat4567

#5 Post by conrat4567 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:01 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:25 am
Oh yes, the 700 series was the premium Thinkpad line, with each model having nifty features. Some models of the 760 series have Video in/Video out capability, and a hardware MPEG-1 video decoder chip.

The 760XD even went to space aboard the Shuttle. :D
Woah! now that is cool. I was not even aware ThinkPad use in space started back then. I have seen newer models in the ISS but its cool that the ThinkPads in space go back that far.