Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

working CF cards for Thinkpad 760ED?

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
Jackbee

working CF cards for Thinkpad 760ED?

#1 Post by Jackbee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:36 pm

I have a Thinkpad 760ED that was supplied to me via a kind recycling/refurbishing station for only five dollars. :D It was missing a hard drive though, leaving me with no choice but to twiddle with some hard disks to get it to find at least one.

I've also been questioning about finding a CF card that works with the Thinkpad itself. However, I've seen reports that some flash cards, especially those that are above 8 gigabytes, have troubles due to fixed or dynamic geometries, DMA, all you can name it. I plan to buy a 4 gigabyte CF card, perhaps maybe industrial, but before I do, can anyone tell me the CF card model, size and brand they have in their working 760's? That way, I don't happen to screw up and waste a bunch of money?

In addition to that, this is the adapter I'm planning to use, since it's the only one that lets me pick between the master and slave modes out of cable select:

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: working CF cards for Thinkpad 760ED?

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Screw the CF card, those have very limited write cycles. Get a Disk On Module or IDE SSD which was made of this task and will last a lifetime. It would be ok on a dos computer but Windows 95 is too intensive. Would you use a craigslist car in a drag race? It would work but not well and would be unreliable.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Jackbee

#3 Post by Jackbee » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:09 pm

OK, found a Kingston series 128MB Compact Flash card in my pile of Fujitsu Lifebooks. This adapter appears to work as is without doing the slave pin trick, which makes this a plus! I would rather go with a real hard drive, but since how that the only mechanical drives that show up in the Thinkpad freeze on seeking geometries within the BIOS, I would rather stick to CF for now.

But hey, I'm booting MS-DOS now, so that's something. :)

Dekks

#4 Post by Dekks » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Assuming your not using that laptop all the time as a daily driver the CF card will be fine.
Home - Win 10 MSi GF63 Gaming Laptop /Arch GNOME 3/X230 Tablet /X61 [Korean] - Debian 10/T60p - Ubuntu 20.10 Helix 2
Work - Win10/Thinkpad X1 Tablet Gen 2