Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Prototype(?) Thinkpad 300 with island-style keyboard (YouTube video-link)

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
ModelMman

Prototype(?) Thinkpad 300 with island-style keyboard (YouTube video-link)

#1 Post by ModelMman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi there! First post!

I just came across an official Lenovo YouTube-video from 2012 that shows a 300-model with an island-style keyboard. I've never seen a picture of it elsewhere.
Was this an unused prototype, or have some of you seen this in the wild?
(it's called an "original design model" in the video, starting at 00:14):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pol27tPYSwg

It's funny to see that the island-style keyboard later used by Lenovo was more or less designed by IBM in 1992.

Also: since the 300 didn't have a mouse, did it have a PS/2-port for a regular mouse?

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Prototype(?) Thinkpad 300 with island-style keyboard (YouTube video-link)

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:22 pm

ModelMman wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:14 pm
Hi there! First post!

I just came across an official Lenovo YouTube-video from 2012 that shows a 300-model with an island-style keyboard. I've never seen a picture of it elsewhere.
Was this an unused prototype, or have some of you seen this in the wild?
(it's called an "original design model" in the video, starting at 00:14):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pol27tPYSwg

It's funny to see that the island-style keyboard later used by Lenovo was more or less designed by IBM in 1992.

Also: since the 300 didn't have a mouse, did it have a PS/2-port for a regular mouse?
Welcome to the forums!

It looks to be a prototype. I think I've seen that model mentioned as a prototype before. The 300 was actually a product of Zenith Data Systems badged as an IBM, down to having a Zenith BIOS(sidenote: I find it odd that Panasonic machines from the early-mid 90's use IBM BIOSes.) IBM just recycled their M4-1 keyboard from their PS/Note and L40SX machines. There would have been no reason for a prototype from IBM to have any other keyboard. On the otherhand, Zenith would have, as all their prior machines were beige boxes that were too big, so they needed to redesign the keyboard from scratch, hence a chicklet keyboard was likely proposed during prototyping.

Due not one thing about the chiclet keyboard, it has the full 89 key layout unlike Lenovo's 6 row botched mess.

And yes you did plug a mouse into the PS/2 port on the machine.

Here is a clearer picture: https://zdnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2 ... 00x504.jpg

As it says right on ZDNet, "IBM Thinkpad CONCEPT DESIGN"
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.