Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

IBM ThinkPad 330c (5523-JJW) (Japan)

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
TheBluPlatypus

IBM ThinkPad 330c (5523-JJW) (Japan)

#1 Post by TheBluPlatypus » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:26 am

Guys, need help, sorry if this is irrelevant, First time post here.

I have an IBM ThinkPad 330c 5523-JJW 12 MB RAM, Given by my friend, Love collecting these retro ThinkPads, But it has a broken screen, It was wrinkled due to the heat, he mentioned

One day, After I've plugged this laptop, It suddenly blows. Then I've noticed it has 110 V AC Power Rail, Which I didn't expect. Here in UK, We use 230 V AC. Do someone knows how to get or fix my power supply?

It doesn't have any battery, But rather that internal AC Adapter!

Specification Included on the bottom of the laptop: 15V DC1.4A 21W
Specification Included on the AC Adapter: Input AC 100V 51VA 50/60 Hz Output 15V DC 1.4A

Though, I have a hard time finding the power supply for it due to the "51VA" which I don't know. I was able to make a remedy/solution for it as a Electronics Beginner, But the specified thing may be as required to run the thing and the missing information that I don't have.

Also I've noticed an exploded fuse. However upon opening/checking it, The copper pads are degraded or corroded from the leaking Capacitors. and broken Coil Inductors that made me impossible to recondition the AC Adapter. Though, I think it's fine to find a compatible Adapter and replacing it's metal contacts to the new AC Adapter and put it inside the case. Though, Still the missing information. Thank you!

It was something covered with flux with the reverse side inside the board of the AC Adapter, It was already there before dis-assembling or modify it, Though some part of it's electrical disturbance! And it destroyed it's copper pads due to the leaking capacitors.

The parts I removed on the AC Adapter: AC Plug, The Plug to the laptop, A thermistor

All answers are appreciated

That's all

Thank You!

(Also posted on Thinkpad Reddit)

a04522540

Re: IBM ThinkPad 330c (5523-JJW) (Japan)

#2 Post by a04522540 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:35 am

Hello:

I'm from China. I have a 5523-jjw. It can boot normally and enter BIOS, but the hard disk has knocking sound, but it used to be good, but it has been stored for too long, please pass

Admin EDIT: personal email removed

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#3 Post by BillMorrow » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:08 am

if a hard drive has a knocking sound then it is most likely done for..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:49 pm

BillMorrow wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:08 am
if a hard drive has a knocking sound then it is most likely done for..
If you give the drive a firm shaking motion in the axis of the heads you have a decent chance of getting to work again. I've done that on half a dozen vintage drives with no issues.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.