Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

rebulding few batteries

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
beshad
Sophomore Member

rebulding few batteries

#1 Post by beshad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:17 pm

hi guys,

i'm planning to open up and rebuild few vintage laptop batteries. wondering if it's guaranteed that I'll end up with some sort of visual damage on the casing regardless of how gentle i pry open the casing? on the videos i have seen people shove a screwdriver in between shells and yank it open which obviously would leave permanent marks on the opening spot.

also would you recommend a particular website/vendor/brand where i can buy the cells please?

cheers

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: rebulding few batteries

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:27 pm

99% percent of batteries were designed to not leak/explode at all costs. So....your choice is basically to pry open a glued/sonic welded explosion proof case. Your not getting it open with out damage(unless your talking the battery for the Zenith Supersport or FMA3300 series machines, in which case you can just unscrew them open). Which specific machines are you trying to open? With the T4x, peel from the back, it will separate from there. Work your way around and check which side snaps into which side. I got one or two of those open with very little damage. Also for the A3x batteries, push downwards I believe. Make sure to find which side snaps into which, and push the screwdriver/knife in and down to that side. Also can get those open without much damage if you work carefully.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

beshad
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by beshad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:32 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:27 pm
99% percent of batteries were designed to not leak/explode at all costs. So....your choice is basically to pry open a glued/sonic welded explosion proof case. Your not getting it open with out damage(unless your talking the battery for the Zenith Supersport or FMA3300 series machines, in which case you can just unscrew them open). Which specific machines are you trying to open? With the T4x, peel from the back, it will separate from there. Work your way around and check which side snaps into which side. I got one or two of those open with very little damage. Also for the A3x batteries, push downwards I believe. Make sure to find which side snaps into which, and push the screwdriver/knife in and down to that side. Also can get those open without much damage if you work carefully.
thanks. i am planning to do a 380XD, 600E and a 750C. there is also an Apple G3 Clamshell and a Powerbook 1400cs which i like to do the same.

beshad
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by beshad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 pm

tried to buy some test vintage batteries from ebay to practice on them. however they were all confiscated and disposed off by New Zealand post before even reaching NZ, i didn't know back then but they are considered fire hazard. not sure if same restrictions applied to other countries too but you can't just import laptop batteries into NZ by themselves using normal post, you can if they are inside a laptop!!!

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Should all be similar construction. The 755CE/CX batteries were a total pain. Be careful and you should be fine.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.