Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad 365XD Stock System Image?

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
MaxVCad

ThinkPad 365XD Stock System Image?

#1 Post by MaxVCad » Tue May 14, 2019 7:29 pm

I have a 755CD and a 365XD ThinkPad.. The 755 has a bone-stock system image including OS/2 Warp, the OS-chooser screen etc. It's quite beautiful seeing it all as it was off the shelf new. I'm having a problem finding the stuff I need to do the same thing to my 365XD.. Does anyone have a 365XD with the original ThinkPad tools, backgrounds, etc. on it? Or maybe point me in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think it would be an amazing look at operating system history having two ThinkPads, one that came with Windows 3.11 (which is essentially just a MS-DOS overlay) and another that came with Windows 95 (what I'd consider a true GUI, comparable to the present-day Windows 10).

There are two other threads I've found on this forum asking pretty much this exact question but it seems those two users just wanted Windows 95 on their's and had no desire for any of the extra ThinkPad goodies.

MaxVCad

Re: ThinkPad 365XD Stock System Image?

#2 Post by MaxVCad » Thu May 16, 2019 5:28 pm

What about the PCMCIA driver for the 365XD? I installed the PCMCIA Card Director ThinkPad tool but when I open it it says some file is missing and I think that's cuz I don't have the driver installed. When I go into device manager it shows the PCMCIA slots as being disabled and in some 32-bit compatibility mode.. Definitely not working right. Anyone know how to get it fixed up? I want to put a WaveLan Silver WiFi card in er so that I can browse the internet. :-)

MaxVCad

Re: ThinkPad 365XD Stock System Image?

#3 Post by MaxVCad » Fri May 17, 2019 7:05 pm

Welp anyways, I know I'm talking to myself here but I wanted to follow up on this in case someone reads it down the road.

I was able to get a stock system image sorted out bit by bit. I have a 365XD manual so I'm sure the computer now has every piece of software and every driver it would've had out of the box.. It's also got Windows 95 RTM which is the original release, WiFi set up, the original versions of Internet Explorer and Netscape, the original ThinkPad background, screensaver and system info file, as well as a ton of good DOS games. If anyone wants to send me their hard drive I can clone mine onto it. I'd be happy to do this for the price of return shipping for anyone who owns a 365XD and is looking for the stock stuff. I have a cable that allows me to cork this HDD into my regular PC making it no more difficult to clone than any other HDD.