Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

What thinkpad models that features lifting keyboard?

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
thinkpadcollection

What thinkpad models that features lifting keyboard?

#1 Post by thinkpadcollection » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:19 am

What thinkpad models that features lifting keyboard? I saw one once at a computer store when I was working there. To replace drives by pulling upwards on the wire handle. If you have one for sale that needs work, interested in one.

Reason for this, I found and bought external floppy drive with 17mm connector that opens up and you can take the internal floppy drive out and put it into thinkpad. Not ultrabay.

Thinkwiki does not mention about this interesting feature.

Cheers, Jason

Omineca
Sophomore Member

Re: What thinkpad models that features lifting keyboard?

#2 Post by Omineca » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Well, in the realm of the ancient models, I know that the 365X and 365XD had the lifting keyboards. It was quite handy, but came at a cost. The keyboard feel wasn't really that great (flex and bounce) and the latches that secured the keyboard had a tendency to break. IIRC, they might have also doubled as the lid latches, but I gave mine away to a forum member a year or two ago, so I can't check.

Edit: here's a link to a YouTube video which shows the machine opened up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RLsbneWwvc
Last edited by Omineca on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home: L440 | R500 | X120e
Work: Yoga 260

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: What thinkpad models that features lifting keyboard?

#3 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:02 pm

They ran from the TP 750 to the end of the 760 line. The 760 had a special keyboard that not just flipped up but also tilted. I know the 360/365/370 had them, not sure about the 340 or 350. 355 should have had it.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.