Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problems with ThinkPad restoration

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
saperkus

Problems with ThinkPad restoration

#1 Post by saperkus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:46 am

Some time ago I've acquired IBM ThinkPad 345C in a great physical condition. I would like to restore it to a factory condition, but I would really use some help regarding three issues:
  • Device have original IBM PC DOS 7.0 + Windows 3.11 preload in some sort of working state. Previous owner modified AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, NET.CFG, PROTOCOL.INI, SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI files, as device was connected to Novell NetWare IPX network. I wanted to ask, if anyone maybe have any device with IBM PC DOS 7.0 + Windows 3.11 preload and could share these files? I was able to recreate some of them, but some lines are still missing.
  • I have an IBM ETHERNET II CREDIT CARD ADAPTER (P/N: 42H4916), which seems to be used with this device in the past. Adapter is fully operational with Windows 95 and 98SE, as I was able to test it on my 390X. However, I cannot get it to work with Windows 3.11... System detects it correctly after installing the driver and Microsoft TCP/IP-32 3.11b. Status LEDs are blinking when I connect the cable to the switch, but it still cannot get access the LAN network. After some digging I have found, that ipconfig is not able to read card's MAC address (it reports 00-00-00-00-00-00). I wanted to ask, if maybe someone have an idea how to solve this issue?
  • Some of preload applications were deleted. I wanted to ask, if anyone have "IBM ThinkPad Demo", which was located in C:\TPBOOT? I'm aware, that it was also added to other devices.
IBM 345C(PCDOS7.0+W3.11) | 390X(W95/W98SE) | T23(W2K) | R51(WXP)
Lenovo R61(WXP/Vista) | T540p(W10)

saperkus

Re: Problems with ThinkPad restoration

#2 Post by saperkus » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:41 am

Some updates to my questions:
  • I've managed to get original CONFIG.SYS, PROTOCOL.INI, SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI files. NET.CFG wasn't needed in the end. As for AUTOEXEC.BAT, I have found a sample file from 370C (device very similar to 345C), which I have used to properly recreate 345C file.
  • After weeks of struggle, I have made it to work. Below some notes, maybe someone will find them useful:
    • PCMCIA service requires proper AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS configuration. Otherwise, you're asking for resource conflicts.
    • When installing networking, DO NOT use any Windows 3.11 floppy disks. All necessary files are stored in C:\WINDOWS\DRIVERS. Simply point this directory, when Windows will ask.
    • NIC drivers needs to be installed twice. First when you add NIC in the wizard, when you need to go to floppy and run the installer.
    • Can't say if this was the possible cause, but... WFWS 3.11 is loaded by using WINTP.COM file, instead of WIN.COM. The problem is, that this file is actually Windows 3.1 executable, not 3.11. During driver installation, I've loaded Windows using WIN.COM, instead of WINTP.COM.
    • During the boot, NIC driver will display NIC device configuration. The interesting this is, that all parameters (e.g. IRQ, memory) will have value 0.
  • No success there so far.
IBM 345C(PCDOS7.0+W3.11) | 390X(W95/W98SE) | T23(W2K) | R51(WXP)
Lenovo R61(WXP/Vista) | T540p(W10)