Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problems with ThinkPad restoration

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
saperkus

Problems with ThinkPad restoration

#1 Post by saperkus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:46 am

Some time ago I've acquired IBM ThinkPad 345C in a great physical condition. I would like to restore it to a factory condition, but I would really use some help regarding three issues:
  • Device have original IBM PC DOS 7.0 + Windows 3.11 preload in some sort of working state. Previous owner modified AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, NET.CFG, PROTOCOL.INI, SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI files, as device was connected to Novell NetWare IPX network. I wanted to ask, if anyone maybe have any device with IBM PC DOS 7.0 + Windows 3.11 preload and could share these files? I was able to recreate some of them, but some lines are still missing.
  • I have an IBM ETHERNET II CREDIT CARD ADAPTER (P/N: 42H4916), which seems to be used with this device in the past. Adapter is fully operational with Windows 95 and 98SE, as I was able to test it on my 390X. However, I cannot get it to work with Windows 3.11... System detects it correctly after installing the driver and Microsoft TCP/IP-32 3.11b. Status LEDs are blinking when I connect the cable to the switch, but it still cannot get access the LAN network. After some digging I have found, that ipconfig is not able to read card's MAC address (it reports 00-00-00-00-00-00). I wanted to ask, if maybe someone have an idea how to solve this issue?
  • Some of preload applications were deleted. I wanted to ask, if anyone have "IBM ThinkPad Demo", which was located in C:\TPBOOT? I'm aware, that it was also added to other devices.
IBM 345C(PCDOS7.0+W3.11) | 390X(W95/W98SE) | T23(W2K) | R51(WXP)
Lenovo R61(WXP/Vista) | T540p(W10)