Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

701C battery rebuild: still says "not installed"

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
keenmaster486

701C battery rebuild: still says "not installed"

#1 Post by keenmaster486 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:35 pm

I got a Thinkpad 701C on eBay. It was listed as missing the battery, so I found a NOS "Xtend" battery for the 701C on eBay as well.

When I got the battery it was still in the original packaging and had not been opened. As expected there was a little corrosion, but no leakage. The corrosion had gotten to the PCB, so after I had removed everything for rebuilding, I resoldered everything on the PCB to the specification in this article: http://www.conradshome.com/thinkpad/701/battery/

The pins on the Dallas ID chip go to the pads they're supposed to go to. I've checked for continuity using a multimeter. There are no shorts anywhere.

After replacing all the cells with standard AA NiMH rechargeables, the pack reads 11.7 volts on the multimeter. The laptop powers up and boots using only the battery.

However, the system still cannot detect the battery. It says "not installed" no matter what I do.

Yes, all the pads are scraped shiny.

What gives? Has anyone had this issue before? Do I have a shot ID chip?

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: 701C battery rebuild: still says "not installed"

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Will the machine boot at all from the NiMH batteries.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

keenmaster486

#3 Post by keenmaster486 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:14 am

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:27 pm
Will the machine boot at all from the NiMH batteries.
Yes, if you install the battery and unplug the AC adapter, the machine will turn on and boot all the way, and function normally, except that it still claims the battery is "not installed".

keenmaster486

#4 Post by keenmaster486 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:11 pm

Could this potentially be a problem with the Dallas ID chip on the battery? Perhaps I fried it when soldering? I don't know how much heat it's designed to handle.