Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

755CV 9545 going into Suspend Mode and failing to boot-up

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
Rick0102

755CV 9545 going into Suspend Mode and failing to boot-up

#1 Post by Rick0102 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:48 am

Hi,
30 seconds after attempting to boot my ThinkPad 755CV 9545 with the AC Adapter plugged-in and the Battery Power Status LED lit solid orange, the green Suspend Mode LED starts blinking and. at about the same period later, the Notebook completely shuts-down with the Battery Power Status LED lit solid orange and the Suspend Mode LED lit solid green. Leaving the Notebook in this state for an extended period of time does not change the status, and attempting to power-off the Notebook with the power-on, power off switch results in two beeps with the Notebook remaining in the same state. The only way to change the state of the Notebook is to use the Power Shutdown Switch under the rear cover, which completely shuts-down the Notebook with the Battery Power Status LED lit solid orange and no other LEDs lit. Given that the same boot problem is experienced after attempting to reboot the Notebook after a period of 24 hours with the AC Adapter plugged-in and the Battery Power Status lit solid orange, may I please if there are any experts who can advise what the problems is and what the solution is (if there is one!), may thanks in advance.
The Notebook has been seldom used for a number of years but, up-to a point last week, has been booting-up and running Windows 95 4.00 950 B / IE 5 5 00 2314 1003 quite happily (I have not updated the levels of the software in any way). Given the age of the Notebook and that the installed battery is the original one, I suspect that the problem might be battery-related, but I am not a subject matter expert. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a back-up / replacement battery, so do not have that ability to test the Notebook with such a unit.
I have access to an external 3.5" floppy disk drive and a number of diskettes, so am able to get new software onto the Notebook (even though I do not have software on the Notebook which enables the Notebook to access the Internet).

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: 755CV 9545 going into Suspend Mode and failing to boot-up

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:41 am

Try booting with the battery removed.
The solid orange means the battery is dead.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Rick0102

#3 Post by Rick0102 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:45 am

Many thanks for your rapid reply.
Having taken the battery out, and with the AC Adapter still plugged-in, the Notebook started the test procedure without any LEDs lit. On power-on, however, the Notebook, unfortunately, entered the same problem loop - the Suspend Mode LED starting to blink green after 30 seconds and then, 30 seconds later, becoming solid green and the Notebook shutting-down.
Your comment alluding to the Battery Power Status LED being solid orange means that the battery is dead does not come as a complete surprise, given the circumstances.
Page 15 of the User Guide that came with my Notebook has it that a solid orange Battery Power Status LED means that 'Some power remains for operation'. However, given the problem I have experienced, this would appear to be something of a misnomer.
When I reinserted the battery into the Notebook with the AC Adapter prior-attached in the past, there have been occasions when the Battery Power Status LED blinked orange (which the User Guide has me believe means that 'The battery pack needs charging') and the adjacent Battery Charging LED was solid green (which the User Guide would have me believe means that 'the battery pack is charging'). However, after being in this status for 3 days, no discernible change to the charging status of the battery has been noted. I am unaware as to whether or not this blinking orange Battery Power Status LED and solid green Battery Charging LED combination means that there is any more of a chance that the battery is able to be charged when this is compared to the solid orange Battery Power Status LED and unlit Battery Charging LED combination.

punfil

#4 Post by punfil » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:02 pm

Yep, i have the same problem and i cannot find the solution. The CMOS battery is replaced and the NI-Mh battery under keyboard disconnected. The laptop behaves the same with and without the battery. I have a second display assembly and second keyboard and it changes nothing. Boards are all clean and shiny. Happened last weekend and I still did not managed to find any solution... I hope that somebody finds a way to fix that.
Edit: Check lid close sensors. One is under the keyboard (a small piece of plastic that goes into a switch on the backside of the keyboard and the second one is just on the LCD cable. My problem was that the plastic that activated the switch under the keyboard was broken so i put some tape inside the switch and now it is in proper position all the time and it works flawlessly...