Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Request for info regarding 800/Power Series keyboards [WARNING: pics inside]

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
sharktastica

Request for info regarding 800/Power Series keyboards [WARNING: pics inside]

#1 Post by sharktastica » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:39 pm

Hey,

As the title says, I'm looking for info regarding the ThinkPad 8xx Power Series' keyboard assemblies. For context, I'm writing an article for my website about IBM buckling rubber sleeves keyboards; the Models "M3" (PS/2 L40SX and its numeric keypad, PS/2 CL57SX), M4 (IBM Space Saver Keyboard (not related to the buckling springs SSK, of course), Unicomp Mighty Mouse) and M6 (early-mid '90s ThinkPad keyboards). This article is specifically from the 'viewpoint' of the M4/M4-1 keyboards, but it will highlight the evolution from L40SX keyboard assembly to M4/M4-1 to ThinkPad keyboard, the architecture behind their switches, and any nuances, etc. For the final part of this article, I'm trying to confirm an array of early ThinkPad keyboard assemblies that use the "Model M6-1" designation. For example, as shown on the 365X/365XD keyboard assembly pictured below.

ImageImage

I'm already aware that the 850 and 860 at the very least use Lexmark-made sleeves switches, but internal photos that could confirm the official designation are scarce. Hence if anyone is able to confirm these or other 8xx keyboard assemblies are designated "M6-1", I would be extremely thankful! I'd be happy to give a shoutout on the article for any assistance, too.

Cheers!

sharktastica

Re: Request for info regarding 800/Power Series keyboards [WARNING: pics inside]

#2 Post by sharktastica » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:57 pm

Someone has since helped me in private with this. I've got what I need, now.