Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

701C Trackpoint Stopped Working

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
pyl85

701C Trackpoint Stopped Working

#1 Post by pyl85 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:00 pm

Putting my 701C back together tonight and I've somehow managed to kill the trackpoint. Not completely, the left and right mouse buttons still work, but the cursor won't move. Just stays stuck in the middle of the screen. Reseated the ribbon cable five times. Switching the Trackpoint III setting in the BIOS from On to Auto had no effect. No errors on bootup, nothing in Device Manager. If I unplug the ribbon cable, I get error 8613 in POST and Windows says no pointing device. I'm really at a loss here. The trackpoint worked fine when I bought the computer, in all it's sticky, battery-exploded glory. I performed a full teardown, replaced the BIOS battery, testing along the way to make sure everything still worked. Was just about ready to put all the screws back when I decided to give it one last test. Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot further?

hwattys

Re: 701C Trackpoint Stopped Working

#2 Post by hwattys » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:28 am

No you've done about all the troubleshooting you can. I do have some used keyboards if you find you want to replace it

pyl85

Re: 701C Trackpoint Stopped Working

#3 Post by pyl85 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:56 pm

Do you think it sounds like a keyboard problem versus an issue with the top system board? The only thing I did to the keyboard was replace a couple missing screws and glue the front bracket for the 4 tiny screws. Both were casualties of trying to get the thing apart with an exploded battery. All the logic for the Trackpoint is on the top system board with just a couple strain gauges inside the keyboard, correct? Or does the keyboard contain a complete PS/2 pointing device? I keep telling myself there's zero chance glue made it anywhere near the Trackpoint, but it's the only cause I can think of.