Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

600e infrared....help needed!

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
simonkarios

600e infrared....help needed!

#1 Post by simonkarios » Fri May 07, 2004 5:11 pm

This may sound like a really daft question....my infrared appears to have disappeared.....it is in the device manager but not in the control panel and the icon which used to be in the toolbar has gone also.... :?

Any help greatly appreciated :lol:

lgonzo99

Re: 600e infrared....help needed!

#2 Post by lgonzo99 » Fri May 07, 2004 8:51 pm

simonkarios wrote:This may sound like a really daft question....my infrared appears to have disappeared.....it is in the device manager but not in the control panel and the icon which used to be in the toolbar has gone also.... :?

Any help greatly appreciated :lol:

What OS are you running? Also, have you installed any new programs lately that might be conflicting with the infrared? Or can you think of anything else that you might have done to the computer that could possibly cause this problem; new software or hardware or deletion of windows files, etc...

I've heard of this issue occuring under Windows 98. The icon and infrared reception won't "just dissappear" something had to have happened for it to dissappear. There may be a bunch of different reasons as to why this occured, here is what I did when it happened to me. I was running windows 98 at the time. I had other laptops available so I turned on a laptop running Windows XP and put both laptops aside each other to initiate a file transfer. Initially, my windows 98 machine didn't pick up that there was a laptop nearby to receive or transfer files to, but my Windows XP machine did pick it up. I started a file transfer from my XP machine, and after a few attempts my 98 machine was finally able to display a message indicating that it was seeing another computer through its infrared port. While this worked for me, it may not necessarily work for you in case you have a different issue than what I had. But you're welcome to try it out and see if it works.

Thanks.