Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Do I *HAVE* to reformat and install fresh???

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
mdbrown
Freshman Member

Do I *HAVE* to reformat and install fresh???

#1 Post by mdbrown » Mon May 10, 2004 9:55 pm

Okay, here's the deal. I had a plain 770. Worked fine, if a bit slow these days with WinXP. I bought a 770x, I put my hard drive in it and figured I'd just have to tweak a few things... not working that way. The sound is non-op and the dsp shows an unknown audio device under it, the infrared isn't working right and the parallel port is also non-op.

The most maddening part is that I can make the manual configuration changes to fix some of these but it says the firmware won't give them the required resources on reboot. With the audio the crystal driver wants an I/O range that the motherboard is using and it won't let me manually change it. I had hoped that maybe installing XP again over the current install might fix these things but they are still there.... any ideas?

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Wed May 12, 2004 3:31 am

the 770X is vastly different from the original 770..

W2k was almost MADE for the 770Z.. probably the same for the 770X..

you might consider W2k over XP as it will also run faster and not be so [censored].. :)
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

lgonzo99

Re: Do I *HAVE* to reformat and install fresh???

#3 Post by lgonzo99 » Fri May 14, 2004 10:18 am

mdbrown wrote:Okay, here's the deal. I had a plain 770. Worked fine, if a bit slow these days with WinXP. I bought a 770x, I put my hard drive in it and figured I'd just have to tweak a few things... not working that way. The sound is non-op and the dsp shows an unknown audio device under it, the infrared isn't working right and the parallel port is also non-op.

The most maddening part is that I can make the manual configuration changes to fix some of these but it says the firmware won't give them the required resources on reboot. With the audio the crystal driver wants an I/O range that the motherboard is using and it won't let me manually change it. I had hoped that maybe installing XP again over the current install might fix these things but they are still there.... any ideas?

I think it also has to do with the Operating System itself. Windows XP is not like Windows 98, in the sense that you can just swap the hard drive from one system to the next, make a few tweaks and correct drivers, and it will work. XP is different than that. It issues hardware and software registries and keys, so if the system is vastly different than the next, you'll get error messages, and in some cases windows won't even boot to your desktop, it will give you the safe boot options.