Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

thinkpad 770e/770ed

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
majiktouchca

thinkpad 770e/770ed

#1 Post by majiktouchca » Thu May 13, 2004 5:37 am

i've received a thinkpad 770e/770ed, and when i first booted it, i was getting the errors 00161 and 00163,also when i put it a bootup disk and was able to get to the dos prompt, none of the commands worked, since then i've reset clock, i've done all of the advance test and everything is OK. Now when i bootup, it wants a password. How can i bypass this password? How does a thinkpad 770e/770ed case open? was thinking of resetting jump switch. I know that there are backdoor passwords, but which one would be for a thinkpad 770e/770ed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You :?

Bruce Guttman

770ED Password

#2 Post by Bruce Guttman » Thu May 13, 2004 9:44 am

You will need to download the service manual for your thinkpad. The IBM part number is 37I5152 and the file is 37I5152.pdf.

If you remove the memory cover, you will see a block of 3 sets of jumper pins. The pair farthest removed from the memory modules is the Password Jumper. I think you need to jump this and start the machine to clear any passwords that can be cleared. Then remove the jumper and restart.

Some passwords are stored on a chip on the System Board (Planar in IBMese). This chip can be replaced by a company in Canada, but it will not come cheap. You may find it better to find another carcass on Ebay and transfer all your stuff.

As to "backdoor passwords", I don't know of any, and I'm sure nobody would post one on a public forum like this.

Hope this helps.
Bruce Guttman

Current stable: 770Z, 600X, T23, R40, R52, T43p, X41, R60, T60, T61, X61, X61T, X201T, T420; T400 (2768-EK9); W510 (4391-CTO), X220T (4296-2W5), T440 (20B6-00AUS), plus an Intellistation M 6219.
New Project: Making X220 work with WWAN.

cmeilahn

770 Error Codes

#3 Post by cmeilahn » Thu May 13, 2004 12:33 pm

I had the same type of problem a while back. I changed the backup battery, reset bios via the jumpers (both the battery & jumpers are in the memory bay) and set the date/time in the bios and the problem was fixed. If the battery replacement doesn't fix the problem, then it is probably an error with the system board... which is a bit of a pain and potentially expensive.

For the 770's error codes, see: http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.ws ... &loc=en-us

cmeilahn

Password Resets

#4 Post by cmeilahn » Thu May 13, 2004 12:42 pm

Following is from the 770 Hardware Maintenance Manual:

Note
The supervisor password and hard disk password cannot be replaced if they are forgotten. If the customer forgets the supervisor password, the system board must be replaced. If the customer forgets the hard disk password, the hard disk drive must be replaced.

How to Remove the Power-On Passwords:

If only the power-on password is set, do the following to remove the power-on password.
1. Power off the computer
2. Remove the DIMM cover on the bottom side of the computer.
3. Short-circuit the two password pads or put the jumper. For the location of the password pads or jumper, see Bruce's reply.
4. Under the short-circuit condition, power on the computer and wait until the POST ends. After the POST ends, the password prompt does not appear. The power-on password is removed.
5. Reinstall the DIMM cover.

If both the power-on password and the supervisor password are set, do the following to remove the passwords:
1. Power on the computer by pressing and holding F1.
2. Enter the supervisor password. The Easy-Setup menu appears.
3. Click on the Password icon.
4. Click on the Power on icon.
5. Enter the supervisor password and press the Space bar.
6. Press Enter twice.
7. Click on Exit; then click on Restart.

The power-on password has been removed.