Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Floppy disk drive using serial connection

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
lannybudd

Floppy disk drive using serial connection

#1 Post by lannybudd » Sat May 05, 2007 7:06 am

My 760XD didn't come with a floppy disk drive and I need one. I don't have USB ports either and most floppy drives today seem to come with them. Does anyone know where I might find an external floppy drive with a serial connection. Also, will the laptop boot up from this external floppy drive. I don't want an internal one, not wanting to remove the CD-ROM. And will there be a problem using some generic floppy drive with a serial connection, will the OS (now Windows 95, hoping to upgrade it to 98) recognize this piece of hardware, or will it be picky as IBM's can be in this regard. Thanks.

whizkid
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#2 Post by whizkid » Sat May 05, 2007 9:51 am

AFAIK, there are NO floppy drives with a serial interface. Even if there were, the ThinkPad won't boot from it.

What you need is an IBM external floppy, part number 66G5069. It's one that works only on 760* and 765* machines. It has a proprietary (not serial) connector.

You can get the exact drive on eBay for about $15 delivered.
Machine-Project: 750P, 600X, T42, T60, T400, X1 Carbon Touch