Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad 560E hardware problem

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
ingozi

Thinkpad 560E hardware problem

#1 Post by ingozi » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:59 am

Hi

My 560E restarts (cold start) every time I adjust the screen angle, that is move the screen in the hinges, or when press on certain spots on the top cover. I opened up the laptop (have done this before) but could not solve the problem. Incidently, when I press slightly with a screwdriver on the metallic sheet below the mainboard, the computer reboots.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Cheers :roll:

ingozi

... more 560E

#2 Post by ingozi » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:44 am

I investigated my problem a little more yesterday with a multimeter. When the cold start occurs, I measure a DC voltage peak across the metal plate below the main board and the rightmost battery connector pin. If found this in the 560E technical referenace manual:

"A short circuit placed on any dc output (between outputs or between an out and a dc return) latches all dc outputs into a shutdown state, with no hazardous condition to the power supply.

If an overvoltage fault occurs in the power supply, the power supply latches all dc outputs into a shutdown state before anu output exceeds 135% of the nominal value of the power supply."

After reading this I tried to find a short circuit anywhere but could not. I should probably mention that the battery does not charge anymore and I left it out of its socket. The problem occurs, however, both with an attached and without attached battery pack.

Any comments? I would be most grateful.

Cheers