Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Wireless adapter resource conflict problem

Older ThinkPads.. from the 600, the 7xx, the iSeries, 300, 500, the Transnote and, of course, the 701
ffinlo

Wireless adapter resource conflict problem

#1 Post by ffinlo » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:52 pm

I am attempting to install a Linksys Wireless-B Notebook adapter (WPC11) for my Thinkpad 1400 (2611-411). The operating system in Win98. Whilst the drivers and config tool appear to install ok, the device manager indicates there is a resource conflict problem with the Wireless Adapter. The following is stated:
"Memory range 0000000-000001FF used by System Board extension for PnP BIOS.
Input/Output Range 0000-00FF used by Programmable interrupt controller
Input/Output Range 0000-00FF used by Standard 101/102-Key Microsoft
Natural Keyboard".

If I deselect 'use automatic settings' and attempt t o change any of the resource types I get 'this resource setting cannot be modified'. There are no other PC Cards installed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ffinlo

Jim Hope

Re: Wireless adapter resource conflict problem

#2 Post by Jim Hope » Sat May 01, 2004 3:49 am

ffinlo,

Sorry to say, but I haven't even thought about Windows 98 in years, but bear with me while I ask a couple of things.

Have you checked the Linksys site for the latest drivers and firmware for your card?
http://linksys.com/download/

Is the wireless card using an IRQ (interrupt) - what number?

Do you have any other devices enabled that you are not using?
- modem
- infrared
- serial ports

I'd suggest disabling (one-at-a-time) things that you are not using and then checking for the resource conflicts again.
Jim
Just Another ThinkPad Owner
A31p 2653H5U ex-A30p, ex-X22, ex-A20p, 600X, 770Z, 770ED etc.etc.etc and a pair of dueling TransNotes

Re: Wireless adapter resource conflict problem

#3 Post by Guest » Sat May 01, 2004 10:55 am

Jim,

Many thanks for replying.
Jim Hope wrote:
Have you checked the Linksys site for the latest drivers and firmware for your card?
http://linksys.com/download/
Yes, I have and the card works fine on another laptop running Win98 (in fact it's responsible for getting this reply to the forum)
Jim Hope wrote: Is the wireless card using an IRQ (interrupt) - what number?
It's using IRQ 11.
Jim Hope wrote: Do you have any other devices enabled that you are not using?
- modem
- infrared
- serial ports
Possibly. I haven't yet tried disabling anything else yet (it's my wife's computer...). It was on my list of things to try next if there wasn't an obvious solution available (i.e. known problem or some sort of compatible pcmcia management tool to download).

Thanks again,

Ffinlo