I have an E320 that I got for a steal ($50AUD) from someone on Facebook who "found it" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I didn't find that out until I caught the train to meet the person.
I had to buy a charger ($20AUD) and it works fine, however there is several irreparable cracks near the screen hinge/power so I'll have to replace the bottom cover. The left alt key is missing as well. I am currently in dire need of a usable laptop and I figure I can spend a few dollars and make this into a bit of a beast. So I'm looking for some advice on what I should do and anything I should be careful about.
Here's what I'm thinking
- Max out the RAM (2 x 8GB sticks: is 16GB compatible?)
- Upgrade the CPU (i7 possible? Currently has an i5-2410m)
- HD+ (or even better FHD) display. Anyone know if this has been done? There are a lot of 13.3" 40pin HD+ screens on eBay with the connector in roughly the same spot as the official screen
- Replace the HDD with an SSD (I've already got a drive to put in it)
- Find a new alt key
- Run Fedora \m/
All in all I think this will be cheaper (and more fun) than buying a new laptop. If it turns out I can't upgrade the screen I will be disappointed, but I can plug in an external monitor when I'm not commuting.
Unless you bump up to a quad core, which I don't believe the E320 supports, there's little practical difference between the i5 and i7.deevus wrote:Upgrade the CPU (i7 possible? Currently has an i5-2410m)
- Posts: 1458
- Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:49 am
- Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
HD+ might be possible, since HD+ only requires 1-channel LVDS. However, someone already tried, unsuccessfully, with an E330.
The FHD mods for the T420s/430s and X220/230 make use of newer LCDs with a different type of connection (embedded DisplayPort or eDP). This is possible because these Thinkpad models have Displayport output on the Dock connector, which the adapter kits use.
In reserve: X61 T7500, X60 T2300
In pieces: X60s CS U1300 [board only], two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E
- Similar Topics
- Last post
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest