Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Preparation for dual boot

Edge / E-Series
bawldiggle

Preparation for dual boot

#1 Post by bawldiggle » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:59 am

I want to be able to dual boot Win7 PRO and Linux Mint on my E540 laptop -- Win 7 as the default OS

So far the E540 has not been used (other than to register Win7 PRO + stop auto updates)

Q1: should I create an extra partition for Linux and what type of partition) before I do anything ? like installing programs + AV ... etc
Q2: would you recommend a separate partition for data ? ... presently I use an external HDD for data on my old (tired) Toshiba

In some "places" there are advocates of imaging but Lenovo recommend a recovery disc
- I can see the merit of a recovery disc and then images as I install programs .. your thoughts ?
- I would prefer to maintain the OEM partition if that is possible

Thank you :)
SPECS:
E540-20C600BVAU
Intel i5 | 1TB HDD 500GB HDD | 4GB RAM | 2x USB3 | 1x USB2
Win-7 PRO (with discs to upgrade to Win8.1)
... to be edited as I discover what I really have

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Preparation for dual boot

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:43 am

Q1: should I create an extra partition for Linux and what type of partition) before I do anything ? like installing programs + AV ... etc
Personally, I prefer a clean install over any OEM recovery software.
Most OEM recovery software make certain assumptions (e.g. Windows is the only OS installed) and create partitions that are sub-optimal (e.g. equal size C: and D: partitions).
In other words, they're too inflexible, and do not take into account other OS/partition configurations.

But if you want to use the OEM recovery software, remove all partitions from the hard drive first.
After the OEM software finishes, grab a bootable Linux disc/USB image that has Gparted, which will allow you to create, delete, or resize partitions as needed.
For example, you can shrink the Windows partition to perhaps 80-100GB, then keep the rest of the disk unpartitioned in preparation for the Linux install. Linux is more flexible with partitions.

After you've set up both OSes (including Windows updates, antivirus, and perhaps a cleanup and defragment operation), create an image of the HDD. This will be the "base" image which lets you to have an up-and-running system in a single restore operation.
Q2: would you recommend a separate partition for data ?
Yes, definitely. Having a separate data partition will make maintenance operations like disk cleanup (via ccleaner) and defragmentation much faster.
Also, this allows you to format the windows partition without worrying too much about data loss (except maybe browser bookmarks).
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

bawldiggle

#3 Post by bawldiggle » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:14 am

@ axur-delmeria :)

When you suggest a clean install, do you mean a non Lenovo OEM or a generic ISO of Win7 Pro ?
- I presumed it best to at least make a recovery disc of my new machine as I was not supplied with any OS discs.
- (other than an upgrade to Win8.1 PRO ... I only want Win7 PRO)

In another thread (mine) I have not had a reply, so my E540 is a paper weight until I have a well thought out plan of action

Do I only get one-shot at making a recovery disc ?

Thank you :)
SPECS:
E540-20C600BVAU
Intel i5 | 1TB HDD 500GB HDD | 4GB RAM | 2x USB3 | 1x USB2
Win-7 PRO (with discs to upgrade to Win8.1)
... to be edited as I discover what I really have

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:38 am

I use a very slightly modified Windows 7 installer.
"Very slightly" because I deleted all copies of ei.cfg in the installer, which allows me to install any edition (Home Basic, Premium, Pro, etc.) using a single disc. The procedure is described here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2044281/ ... -find.html though I found that the ei.cfg removal utility doesn't work all the time, so I have to look for the file and delete it from the bootable USB disk that I've made.

Before formatting, I back up the product key and license, but I'm not sure if it's allowed to discuss it here in the forum, so I will send you a PM instead.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry: