Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

E 570 Fan Not Coming On

Edge / E-Series
J Walker

E 570 Fan Not Coming On

#1 Post by J Walker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:44 pm

I have an E 570 with SSD i7 7500. I have noticed that the fan is not coming on. I installed monitoring software for the processor core temperature and found it stayed at 30 deg C when idling and rises to 38 deg C when playing youtube videos but the fan does not come on. The bottom of the laptop does not feel very hot so maybe this laptop runs cooler than my previous Thinkpads and there is a temperature for the fan to turn on that I have not reached. Can anyone help with this. I am concerned that the fan may be bad. Thanks.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: E 570 Fan Not Coming On

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:11 am

Looks like your machine runs cool and quiet.
Usually the fan spins for a few seconds when you turn it on.

You'd need to do some stress-testing to get that machine hotter and the fan to start.
Use FurMark for GPU-testing, Prime95 for CPU-testing.
Before you do, install (and keep it running) HWMonitor to keep an eye on the temperatures.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

J Walker

Re: E 570 Fan Not Coming On

#3 Post by J Walker » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:18 am

I have installed Core Temp and stressed the laptop and discovered that I can get the core temperatures up to about 40 deg C but not much higher. Also, I have detected that the fan is coming on around 40 deg C but it is not running very fast. That is probably the low speed called for by the the temperature. What I learned was the E 570 fan moves much less air than the fans on my earlier Thinkpads. I believe that is because the E 570 runs much cooler and requires less fan cooling. In fact the fan is definitely not on at all until the 40 deg C temperature is reached. That must be a big saving in power both from generating the heat and running the fan to remove it.