Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad Edge 15 - Bricked during BIOS update

Edge / E-Series
novevite

Thinkpad Edge 15 - Bricked during BIOS update

#1 Post by novevite » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:05 am

I have a Thinkpad Edge 15, model 0301-J6G. Last month I tried to update the BIOS using the files from the Lenovo Legacy Hardware site, using the Windows-based updater. After a bit the screen went black and the laptop became unresponsive; not knowing what to do, I waited a couple of hours and then powered it off.
From that moment on the laptop will not boot to bios, it just stays there with a black screen and full speed fans.

I already tried the CMOS battery thingy, to no effect. Does anyone know if there is a recovery mode of some sort, that lets me try to flash the BIOS through USB? The USB port gets power, so maybe all is not lost?

EDIT: on a side note, does anybody know the name pf the BIOS they put inside the Thinkpad Edge 15?

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Thinkpad Edge 15 - Bricked during BIOS update

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 am

Likely, your board is fried unless you know how to flash the BIOS using wires directly soldered to the BIOS chip.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am

Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

novevite

#4 Post by novevite » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:23 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am
See if this helps: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Ide ... -p/2210834
It doesn't seem to be the same model :(
I cannot seem to find the "novo" button anywhere.

Does anybody know if there is a recovery mode for this specific laptop, or how to search for it?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:49 am

AFAIK it's a tiny opening on the left side, near the front, in which you push a paperclip or similar, to reset the laptop.

novevite

#6 Post by novevite » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:24 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:49 am
AFAIK it's a tiny opening on the left side, near the front, in which you push a paperclip or similar, to reset the laptop.
Ok so, it seems the Novo button is present in the "Lenovo Edge 15" laptop, not the "Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15": they are totally different laptops :mrgreen:, the second one is from 2009 I think, while the Edge 15 should be from 2014.

Here's the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15's side (it's not my laptop, but it's identical)
https://www.notebookcheck.it/fileadmin/ ... eb2b1f.jpg

And here's my laptop's left side, for posterity
https://i.imgur.com/Vnrz2zS.jpg

Please read the Forum Rules, especially Section 5: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14339

UglyStuff

#7 Post by UglyStuff » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 am

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but come to think of it, I should have enlisted earlier, I had so many questions about my own Lenovo laptop. I'm sorry I can help with the topic at hand, because last time I upgraded the BIOS on my machine, it went without a hitch. :banana:

I have a question regarding the difference between Edge 15 and ThinkPad Edge 15, because I think I have the former (CPU is Intel Pentium P6100, came with 2GB of RAM, now up to 6GB, and a 500-GB rotating HDD that I replaced with a same-capacity Samsung SSD a few months ago), and I have a few issues with the fan behavior using TP Fan Control.

Can someone point me to a topic or thread that deals with that? I've searched the forum before posting, but as I said, I'm new here, so... :roll:

tik34Load

#8 Post by tik34Load » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:32 pm

novevite wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:24 am
RealBlackStuff wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:49 am
Ok so, it seems the Novo button is present in the "Lenovo Edge 15" laptop, not the "Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15": they are totally different laptops :mrgreen:, the second one is from 2009 I think, while the Edge 15 should be from 2014.

Here's the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15's side (it's not my laptop, but it's identical)
https://www.notebookcheck.it/fileadmin/ ... eb2b1f.jpg

And here's my laptop's left side, for posterity
https://i.imgur.com/Vnrz2zS.jpg

Please read the Forum Rules, especially Section 5: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14339
Well that explains why it's so confusing searching for info on the one I got. I have the "Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15" and I couldn't make sense of why they would release a laptop with the exact same name twice. I just assumed this thing was so bad lenovo wanted to act like it never existed or something.