Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

E335 wireless network driver

Edge / E-Series
seasoul

E335 wireless network driver

#1 Post by seasoul » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi, Thinkpad Administrators,

I have this Thinkpad E335, it is quite a legacy model now but I decided to give it to my uncle for some fun. I recently found the wireless drivers cannot be recognised (a exclamation shown) in WINDOWS 7 no matter which driver I downloaded from Thinkpad official website. (It did work previously).

I remembered I did upgrade the bios (it is also from official website), and after that it seems the wireless driver does not work. However, if I installed ubuntu, the build-in driver works. This means the hardware and bios work but the problem is the driver?

Where can I found a driver that works or how can I downgrade to an older version Bios.

Thank you for the help.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: E335 wireless network driver

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:08 am

You can try identifying which wifi chip it is by going to Device Manager, selecting the wifi adapter, right click and select "Properties". Then go to the Details Tab, choose "Hardware ID" or "Device Instance ID"

Like these:

For wifi cards, they're usually PCI devices so the format is PCI\VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx&&SUBSYS_xxxxxxxxx

The parts in bold are the most important ones (VENdor ID and DEVice ID), google that part until you can find a proper name for the device. Once you've found its name, it's much easier to look for drivers.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry: