Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

E 570 Spill on Keyboard

Edge / E-Series
J Walker

E 570 Spill on Keyboard

#1 Post by J Walker » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:15 pm

I was cleaning the "eraser" with denatured alcohol and apparently dripped some of it on the keyboard. The result was some keys not working and some delays when booting up. Clearly there was some damage. My question is whether another model Thinkpad would have fared better than my E 570. I am willing to pay more for more spill protection. Are there any estimate on how much it would cost to have the keyboard replaced? Is it hard to open it up and replace it myself? I really like the lightweight E series and the low price as well. Thanks.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: E 570 Spill on Keyboard

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:01 am

Get the HMM here: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobi ... _en_v2.pdf
Get a 01AX200 LiteOn KB from e.g. here: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad- ... B07LFWLSJS

It's a DYI job, just follow the HMM instructions and keep proper track of the screws.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

mikemex

#3 Post by mikemex » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:13 pm

Spill resistance protects the interior of the laptop only. If you spill liquid over the keyboard, I don't think it'll survive.

In general liquids and electronics don't mix well. Recently, I was cleaning my old X301's screen with a can of alcohol and some of it got sucked in by capillarity. I'm sure it won't cause a short or anything, but it's been there for about a month or so already and it doesn't show any sign of going anywhere.
X301: SU9600 | 8GB | 1TB | WXGA+
X1C5: 7600U | 16GB | 1TB | FHD
X1C9: 1145G7 | 16GB | 1TB | WUXGA | WWAN
X1Y8: 1365U | 32GB | 1TB | WUXGA
P14s G1 AMD: 4750U | 32GB | 1TB | PG FHD Touch
T14 G2: 1145G7 | 32GB | 1TB | FHD

J Walker

#4 Post by J Walker » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:00 am

Thanks for the replies, especially from RealBlackStuff who gave me links to a manual and the Lenovo keyboard part. I will attempt akeyboard replacement and feel confident that it will work if no other damage occurred due to the small spill. I might save a lot of time and money getting a new laptops purchased and loaded. Great forum.

J Walker

#5 Post by J Walker » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:15 am

Update on the keyboard replacement, I decided to remove the original keyboard to see if it would go well before ordering a new one. I ran into difficulty with the connectors for the two cables to the keyboard. My E570 has a small plastic retaining piece to hold the cable in place. It was difficult to remove the retainer and I tried to re-install the retainer without success. It broke in the process. Youtube videos show a very different connector for my E570. They show a connector that flips up and down. I don't know why my computer has a connector that apparently only the manufacturer can handle. I will think about making an alternate way to press the multi-conductor cable down or abandon the computer. I am a little disappointed with Lenovo.